Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Nitro Addict!
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title explains my question. I have a perfectly (mostly) running 2007 4x4 Nitro R/T, but I've rolled it once, been rear ended, had another driver back into my driver side front door (right after I had just replaced it after the roll over), and I've scuffed the front bumper cover by getting too close to the fence in my yard once. It really has seen better days, but everything works, it has almost every option on it, and I've not found another vehicle that I enjoy driving more than the Nitro. It just fits me so well, and I love it's towing capacity. The one thing I would change about my Nitro, is it's color. I want to go back to the Sunburst Orange that I once owned, but foolishly settled for Silver when I bought my 2nd Nitro. I found one, but it's only 2wd. Since my Nitro would cost more than it is worth to fix all the body damage, I'm thinking of getting this 2wd Orange Nitro, and swapping parts to make it a 4x4, using my current Nitro as the parts donor, then scrapping it afterwards, or donating what's left to charity.

Anyone here know if it possible, and what problems I might run into? Both Nitro's are 4.0L V6's with the 5 speed automatic trans (so I'll be keeping the spare engine and trans to rebuild and keep my Nitro running forever).

What do you think?

·
Registered
07’ SLT 4x4 Lifted, 3.7 auto
795 Posts
No idea but it sounds great. Would love to see it work

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat 3.7L
1,342 Posts
A LOT of work and money will be involved.
Some may say just buy a 4wd. But if you have the know how, it can be done fairly easy.
I came across someone on youtube who did it to a Liberty KK which is similar to the Nitro (without going through the entire wire harness and PCM)
Would like to do the same to mine once I have the time to do so and a second vehicle

·
Registered
80 Posts
A LOT of work and money will be involved.
Some may say just buy a 4wd. But if you have the know how, it can be done fairly easy.
I came across someone on youtube who did it to a Liberty KK which is similar to the Nitro (without going through the entire wire harness and PCM)
Would like to do the same to mine once I have the time to do so and a second vehicle
Think about to have electrical wiring expanded / changed due to 2WD/4WD switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2007 in pretty good condition I have been replacing everything that has needed it. But those pesky wires behind the passenger side front seat. I would be inclined to let it go for the right price. Also its a 4x4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don’t listen to anyone here, all the provisions to swap over your 4x4 parts are on the 2wd. All you need to do is swap everything over.

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat 3.7L
1,342 Posts
Don’t listen to anyone here, all the provisions to swap over your 4x4 parts are on the 2wd. All you need to do is swap everything over.
😂😂😂 he was asking what problems he might run into. He said he’s going to be swapping parts and keeping the drivetrain as a spare.
2wd and 4wd do have different wire harness (or at least mine is different).
And when swapping PCM’s, the VIN for the PCM is not going to match the VIN for the vehicle which may be a problem later down the road IF taken to a shop, etc…

1 - 10 of 10 Posts