Dodge Nitro Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
5,885 Posts
actually high chance its the brake booster, that is the kind of sound a worn booster would make,
you should be able to hear the noise when you are close to either the ABS pump or the Booster,

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
actually high chance its the brake booster, that is the kind of sound a worn booster would make,
you should be able to hear the noise when you are close to either the ABS pump or the Booster,
The noise only happens when I'm in the running car and then release the break pedal while in gear. I can have my wife behind the wheel doing this as I stand outside the car listening for the noise. The noise is coming from the brakes, not under the hood.

· Registered
5,885 Posts
thats the strangest sound i ever heard from the brakes,
whats your thoughts on bleeding the brakes again, including bleeding the ABS

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
thats the strangest sound i ever heard from the brakes,
whats your thoughts on bleeding the brakes again, including bleeding the ABS
LOL, I'm a magnet for strange occurrences.
Not sure what is involved in bleeding the ABS. I'm not real familiar with that. Tips Welcome.
That's why I'm looking for a diagram or drawing that shows all the pieces/parts of the entire system.
Other than that, The brakes have been bled multiple times starting at right rear, left rear, right front and then left front.
I have a good pedal feel and it stops on a dime.

· Registered
5,885 Posts
i did look but didn't find what your asking for, i was hoping there was going to be some valve or something but no nothing just a simple straight forward setup,

brake resovoir, ABS pump, hard brake lines, flexible brake lines, calipers,
and just as i'm typing this, my last possible cause collapsed rubber hose inside the flexible brake line,

· Registered
293 Posts
You can bleed the ABS if you have alfaobd and an OBD dongle, will let you cycle the ABS pump.
I haven't done it on the Nitro, but for my other Dodge it has an "ABS bleed procedure" that you just start and it cycles the pump then directs you to go bleed RF, then it cycles the pump, then tells you to go bleed the RR, then it cycles the pump, then you go bleed all 4 corners again.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Is it possible the creaking is coming from the parking/drum brakes?
Thanks for all the good info!
I've done a lot of brake jobs successfully over the years but I have never dealt with troubleshooting an ABS system.
I was thinking there may be a proportioning valve problem going on here and I'm assuming the Anti-Lock Brakes Module does the job of the proportioning valve.

It is defiantly not the parking brakes, I checked that thoroughly. Good thought though.
I hear the creak at the front wheels although sometimes I hear the noise at all 4 wheels.
I can make brakes creak in any car by slowly releasing pressure off of the brake pedal and letting the car inch forward or backward while maintaining light pedal pressure.
To me, that is expected, normal behavior.
That is the same sort of creak sound I hear on my Nitro when I quickly and completely release the pedal as one normally would under normal conditions.
Do you think it is possible that a faulty ABS Module or control unit could cause the caliper piston to not release the pads fully or quickly enough when releasing the brake pedal?

· Registered
293 Posts
Pretty sure the ABS is completely inactive until it's not. I believe it should just be a complete pass-through until it engages. From what I understand you can unplug your ABS module from the wiring harness and drive just fine w/o it (you'd throw some codes), but the rest of the physical braking system would never notice.

As far as proportioning, I'm not sure how that's done--could just be done right at the MC by way of the actual physical sizing of the lines going through that point of distribution. AFAIK it's not adjustable on the Nitro.

· Registered
5,885 Posts
Thanks for all the good info!
I've done a lot of brake jobs successfully over the years but I have never dealt with troubleshooting an ABS system.
I was thinking there may be a proportioning valve problem going on here and I'm assuming the Anti-Lock Brakes Module does the job of the proportioning valve.

It is defiantly not the parking brakes, I checked that thoroughly. Good thought though.
I hear the creak at the front wheels although sometimes I hear the noise at all 4 wheels.
I can make brakes creak in any car by slowly releasing pressure off of the brake pedal and letting the car inch forward or backward while maintaining light pedal pressure.
To me, that is expected, normal behavior.
That is the same sort of creak sound I hear on my Nitro when I quickly and completely release the pedal as one normally would under normal conditions.
Do you think it is possible that a faulty ABS Module or control unit could cause the caliper piston to not release the pads fully or quickly enough when releasing the brake pedal?
maybe the ABS is not faulty but could have air trapped, to bleed the ABS unit you need an advanced Scantool, do you think you allowed air into the system when you changed the calipers ?,​

21 - 34 of 34 Posts