Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title pretty much sums it all up. It's an annoying problem that I've had on pretty much all my previous vehicles. When I signal to the right the dash lights dim and then when the signal arm resets the lights go back to normal. Sometimes when I use the dimmer toggle, the dash lights will do the same thing and they'll be stuck in a somewhat dim light and will flicker sometimes. To me, it sounds like a faulty connection in the column or bad ground or something and I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if it was easy to fix or am I going to need a mechanic?

I also thought that it was screwed up when I made a few lane changes and the blinker wouldn't stop blinking for a few seconds. Apparently it's a built in feature where the turn signal will blink three times and stop specifically for lane changes. That's just nifty!

O

·
0 Posts
Hi yagz. From what I am reading this is happening to previous vehicles as well. This would tell me that there is something else being hooked up to the wiring to the right side signal lights and there would appear to be something wrong with that part of your system. Hope this helps. Just my .02 worth.
Tom

·
Lighting Guru!
3,633 Posts
I had a similar issue with my old PT Cruiser. The lights would do it at any time however. The solution to that problem was a thing they called a spider. It was a piece you put on the negative battery terminal that has wires attached to it. You then ran those wires to various grounded locations throughout the engine bay and frame. The PT is a very ground dependent car and I am new to the Nitro so I don't know if that is so. I cannot find the link of where I bought mine but I am assuming if you do a Google search for it you will find something.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,467 Posts
This is a new one to me...
Is it just the dash lights? Or all the lights?
I ask because it sounds like a "heavy" load issue as suggested by Tom.
The instrument cluster is computer controlled. The blinking sound is speaker generated. The dash "blinker" light is controlled by the computer. The dash light brightness is also controlled by the computer.
The only common link I can think of would be electrical system draw.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
He did say that this has been in most his cars...Not to be funny but maybe it's "HIS EYES"! I had an accident back in 2000 where I was replacing a door skin and I had a screwdriver stab me in my right eye...Even to this day I have flakes of the chrome from the screwdriver in my eye and when the light reflects in my eye it almost blinds me and alotta times the light levels are different between my right and left eyes....Just a thought!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ sickntwisted01 Well, I've never had an eye injury, especially one of that magnitude, and other people see it as well.

The flickering isn't exclusive to the right turn signal but that's when it happens the most. When adjusting the dimmer switch I get the flicker as well. The "spider" idea seems like a viable option and I'll see if I can find one and try that soon. After I fix this and the EGR valve problem I'll have my ride running at maximum capacity.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Good deal....keep us posted

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yag
@ sickntwisted01 Well, I've never had an eye injury, especially one of that magnitude, and other people see it as well.

The flickering isn't exclusive to the right turn signal but that's when it happens the most. When adjusting the dimmer switch I get the flicker as well. The "spider" idea seems like a viable option and I'll see if I can find one and try that soon. After I fix this and the EGR valve problem I'll have my ride running at maximum capacity.

Did you ever find out what the issue is? I have the same exact issue. Please Help!!!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,467 Posts
Welcome to the forum @an243q. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the forum @an243q. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

I purchased the vehicle used. Its an awesome truck. At first only the cluster and general lighting around the radio, a/c/, controls, etc would dim whenever I turn on the right blinker. About the 4th time driving I noticed the lights in those two sections would flicker every now and then. I was thinking its the tipm based on the forum. So I took the tipm out over night and drained the vehicle by connecting the positive Nd negative battery cable. I still have the same issue. I’m thinking it may be a bad ground or the switch control for the lights because the dome light works randomly

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,467 Posts
There is a cluster of grounds in the driver's side kick panel. I'd have a look at those.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts