Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I forgot to ask the dealer if the NITRO has DRLs - not a major point, mind you, but there are folks telling me these are mandatory in the US, and I cannot find that law for the life of me. I have checked the tech list/spec sheet as well as I could (not very auto savvy here), and wondering if any of the new owners could tell me about DRLs on the NITRO...just curious...:confused:

Thanks,
Rich

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,794 Posts
I think I read in the manual somewhere about the lights will come on a very very low level after driving XXX feet, but im not totally sure and I havent personally noticed this..I like the ability to be able to completely control my lights :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all...

...I appreciate the info. As I said, not a major concern, but many have been talking of DRLs as a mandated safety feature. I need to harangue a few friends about this now! :)

Peace all!

Rich

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
...I appreciate the info. As I said, not a major concern, but many have been talking of DRLs as a mandated safety feature. I need to harangue a few friends about this now! :)

Peace all!

Rich
I really like them and have them on both my present cars (self installed) but maybe in a Nitro everyone sees you coming!

On the Edmunds On-line Pricing Guide for Nitros they do show option "LMK" Daylight Running Headlamps @ $40.00.

You can also purchase a like item and install it yourself, aftermarket.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
OK, I forgot to ask the dealer if the NITRO has DRLs - not a major point, mind you, but there are folks telling me these are mandatory in the US, and I cannot find that law for the life of me. I have checked the tech list/spec sheet as well as I could (not very auto savvy here), and wondering if any of the new owners could tell me about DRLs on the NITRO...just curious...:confused:

Thanks,
Rich
I checked with two dealers and got two stories - 1 said there was a simple program upload to the BCM and a switch required to activate the DRLs, the other dealer thought they could just upload the program to the BCM and that would do it, however after waiting for 45 mins at the dealer that functionality wasn't present on the computer........not sure what the deal is.......if DRLs work in Canada why isn't it an easy fix here in the US.....I'd like to have them.any suggestions

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Sorry everyone it seems the "enable DRLs" has been removed as one of the features found in the Starscan. As it stands right now it no longer is a function that can be turned on using the Starscan (Chrysler's computer scanner). Maybe they'll put it back into programming in the future or release a software update that can enable the daytime running lights.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Sorry everyone it seems the "enable DRLs" has been removed as one of the features found in the Starscan. As it stands right now it no longer is a function that can be turned on using the Starscan (Chrysler's computer scanner). Maybe they'll put it back into programming in the future or release a software update that can enable the daytime running lights.
Can you set the fog lights to be on whenever you start the car from the dash?

Does this mean that all Canada Nitros have a different wiring harness from the factory since DRL are required?

Wasn't it a Factory Option on some Nitros at one time? I know it has never been listed as a option on R/Ts however.

On my Wife's 2002 Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer you could pull out the headlight switch and the large factory installed fog lamps would be on anytime the engine was running. This was fine.

When we traded it for a 2006 (same model) this same function would not work. Asked the Dealer to check it out and if this function could work on a 2006, to rewire to correct at my expense. They did call the Factory and was told this function could not be added to the new 2006? Guess they would not re-wire it either. I was willing to pay them since this vehicle has a 100,000 Service Contract on it and didn't want any hassle if I added a automatic headlamp system as I have done in the past to other cars.

I added and installed a 45040 Vist-Light from Hamsar through J.C. Whitney. This kit meets all government regulations and exceeds the Canadian Standards D-603M standard for Daytime Running Lights per it's instructions. If it is good enough for the Canadian Government it should be good enough for Ford!

If I order a new Nitro R/T (this month?) it will have DRL installed and working one way or the other!

Thanks for the info and please up-date if a change is made Starscan. Just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Can you set the fog lights to be on whenever you start the car from the dash?
My Nitro doesn't have the fog lights and I haven't played around with one that does. My first guess to your question would be no. They probably could be hardwired to a separate switch to get them to be on when you want and not only with the headlights.

Does this mean that all Canada Nitros have a different wiring harness from the factory since DRL are required?
No, it's all in the programming of the computer. I tried changing the "country code" to USA from Canada on my Nitro to see if the DRL's went out. It didn't seem to work. I'm gonna try again hopefully this weekend.

Wasn't it a Factory Option on some Nitros at one time? I know it has never been listed as a option on R/Ts however.

You or other would probably know the answer to this one better then me. I really have no idea. Sorry

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
For those of you that question why some of us want DRL on our Nitros I found the following info on Hamsar's Web Site (maker of DRL). Do people still pull out in front of you with your headlamps on in the daytime? Of course there are a lot of idiots on the road! But if you have a Nitro that is dirty or blends in with the road or the other driver may just not see you coming down the road, would your headlight being on help? Maybe!

What are Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)?
DRL is lamp used to improve the visibility of a vehicle when a vehicle is viewed from the front in daylight.The purpose of DRLs is to increase the conspicuity of the vehicle to all traffic and do it more efficiently than the vehicles' own headlight system.

Why Do I Need DRLs?

Studies have shown that driving with headlights during daylight hours will reduce your chances of being involved in an accident. These studies have been conducted in the United States, Canada, Sweden, Norway, and England. In all cases, the studies have shown a positive reduction in daytime accidents of up to 38%. In addition, the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has conducted its own preliminary studies that indicate a 20% reduction in daytime accidents. It is estimated that up to 45% of all accidents occur because of perception and recognition errors.

DRLs can cut your accident rate by 10-30% in the first year of installation. In addition, insurance companies will re-evaluate your fleet insurance premium when DRLs are installed. This could result in lower premiums.

Site LINK:
http://www.hamsar.com/index.html

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
When it is raining or foggy I put my lights on, but if you are driving & can not see another vechile coming at you maybe what we really need is a stricter exam at the DMV when people go to get or renew their license. Just my 2 cents on the DRL's

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Welcome to the forum jsd. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My '11 w/Heat package has the fogs. They can only be turned on manually with the running lights or low beam. They turn off on high beams.
Motor cycles in the US require lights on at all times. Automobiles must have lights on any time your wipers are on due to rain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.