Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snuck over to take a look. I really can't stand the sales people at this dealership, so I stopped on my way home from work, when it's dark. Parked in the strip mall next to the dealer and walked over.

It's the first one I've seen in Electric Blue Pearlcoat. I have never liked blue cars before, but this one looks really, really good. I think it's a great color. It was also the first SLT I've seen in Jax without the rear DVD player. Had exactly the options I wanted (including the u-connect, first one of those I've seen here too) except the towing package.

I think though, if a salesperson would have seen me and come over, they would have caught me in a moment of weakness and had a sale.

The other Dodge dealer in town is finally starting to get some Nitro's in (they started off as a huge Jeep dealer and only added Dodge about 3 years ago, so I think they've held off on getting a lot of Nitro's as not to cut into their Jeep sales) but they are all sxt's except one, which is black, and has the rear DVD player. They are WAY nicer over there and have Chryslers 5 star rating. It's about 10 miles away, so not as convenient for service, but I'd be more comfortable buying from there.

Did I mention I now really like that blue color? So from Orange, to White to Blue...it's a freakin' Gator Uniform.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Test drove the Nitro yesterday, here are a few thoughts:

Very quiet, smooth ride.
Boy those seats are comfy, but will foam that soft hold up over the long haul?
Very cool gadgets...compass, outside temps, etc.
Seems underpowered, of course I drive a big honkin' v-8 at the moment.
They hadn't upgraded the shift program, as I punched it to get on the highway, it revved too high, then shifted with a loud "clunk"
Handles very nicely
Sure does look cool.

Still think I'll wait until I can drive the R/T and for Dodge to start shipping them with some of the bugs fixed. Sure is tough though.

All you would need is 1 white & 1 orange pinstripe & you could be GatorNitro or NitroGator. That would be pretty neat.
Uuugh. That wasn't meant to be a good thing, lived in Ohio during my formative years, didn't move to FL until 94. I'm a Gate-ah Hate-ah. If the Buckeyes don't win, I may have to find a bell tower and a high powered rifle.

I don't like the Gators! They have been damn good this year though!
FSU FSU FSU! Maybe next year!
I think nepotism has ruined FSU, they are now just like Penn State. They'll have a good season here and there but won't seriously contend for a title until the end of the Bowden era.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Hey Monkeyman. Since you know of some of the problems associated with the Nitro already you find yourself hunting and waiting for the problem to surface. I guess this is a good thing. Since you are used to a V8, the R/T may be the ticket. ARE YOU WILLING TO WAIT THAT LONG??

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With no car payment right now, I find waiting rather easy, an extra $400.00 in my pocket every month is rather nice. As far as looking for problems I know the truck is prone to have, I can only say, if I didn't know of the transmission issue, I would have exclaimed, "what the hell was that?" on the test drive. It was very loud and very harsh.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
With no car payment right now, I find waiting rather easy, an extra $400.00 in my pocket every month is rather nice. As far as looking for problems I know the truck is prone to have, I can only say, if I didn't know of the transmission issue, I would have exclaimed, "what the hell was that?" on the test drive. It was very loud and very harsh.
You definitely want to wait for the R/T. I owned an '03 Liberty, and drove it for two years until I just couldn't stand it anymore. If you are accustomed to V8 power, you will never get used to the 3.7. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid engine, but if you like acceleration and are used to driving with it, you will never be crazy for the 3.7. When I got out of the Liberty, it wasn't just because of the engine. It was also the stupid design of the rear door with a 40lb tire on it. I am currently in a Nissan Crew Cab with the 4.0L 260HP engine. I drove the Nitro just lke you, and really want to get back in a mid-side SUV. Love just about everything about it, except the acceleration. The R/T is the only way to go for some of us that have just never felt comfortable with the smaller displacement engines. Unlike you, however, I am very comfortable ordering new vehicles and have done so for almost 20 years. Noted that you find the seats comfy also. I don't know why so many reviews dislike the seats. Keep your chin up, one will come along shortly that you just have to have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.