Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer did very little detailing of the vehicle before handing it off to me. When I got the vehicle home, I washed it. The wheels did not clean up at all. They appeared to be etched with something that looked like water spots on old window glass. I was afraid the wheels were permanently damaged. I made sure they were clean by first using a common glass cleaner, but this is how they looked. When I got them home, they still had the factory little yellow tags stuck to them. You can see the glue in this shot near the 5 in the 245 on the sidewall. But the muck on them was what had me worried. I had tried liquid car polish the day before but made little progress and used a lot of elbow grease.

While at wally-world today, I saw one of these MOTHERS PowerBall mini polishing tools and a bottle of Meguiar's Plastic cleaner and polish. The mini power ball fit down into the wheel's slots perfectly. I used Goo Gone to remove any sticky residue, and then the plastic cleaner on the powerball to polish everything off of the wheels. I was pleasantly surprised how fast the entire process went. I was done with all four wheels in less than an hour.

This is a shot of the MOTHERS powerball mini.

These are the products used to clean and polish the wheels.

This is the same area displayed in the first photo, now cleaned and polished.

This is what I should have received from the dealership at time of vehicle delivery. I am definitely pleased with the results. The mini powerball will disintegrate a little during use as it is forced to change it's shape as you press it into the inside corners of the wheel. After use I cleaned it. I expect to get about 20 uses out of it before a new one will be needed.

Here is a shot of the entire wheel after detailing. I refuse to use any wheel shine on these tires as I am not certain that it was not what dealership did to cause the initial buildup on the wheels. This cleaning and polishing process should only be necessary every few months. I hope someone will get a little benefit out of this post because this process would be intolerable and time consuming if being done by hand.

· Registered
95 Posts
The dealer did very little detailing of the vehicle before handing it off to me. When I got the vehicle home, I washed it. The wheels did not clean up at all. They appeared to be etched with something that looked like water spots on old window glass. I was afraid the wheels were permanently damaged. I made sure they were clean by first using a common glass cleaner, but this is how they looked. When I got them home, they still had the factory little yellow tags stuck to them. You can see the glue in this shot near the 5 in the 245 on the sidewall. But the muck on them was what had me worried. I had tried liquid car polish the day before but made little progress and used a lot of elbow grease.
Why plastic cleaner, aren't these wheels supposed to me Chrome?

· Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why plastic cleaner, aren't these wheels supposed to me Chrome?
backlash, the wheels are chromed plastic glued on aluminum wheels with industrial strength adhesive. Plastic polish is the least abrasive cleaner-polish most of us are likely to find available at retail outlets. Chrome polish is a bit too strong and will damage the finish over time.

Eventually, no matter what we do, the chrome finish will disappear after being attacked by environmental elements that will age, tarnish, spot, and disintegrate the finish exposing the light gray plastic underneath. Ugly picture? My buddy at work has an '06 Dakota with 17" chrome clad wheels. The finish on them is already starting to spot through the chrome to the plastic underneath. That is why I suggest this product, or one similar to it. Mother's also has a good product it you can find it. The least abrasive the better, which will help the chrome finish last as long as possible and keep a protective barrier on top to help deflect the elements.

· Registered
95 Posts
backlash, the wheels are chromed plastic glued on aluminum wheels with industrial strength adhesive. Plastic polish is the least abrasive cleaner-polish most of us are likely to find available at retail outlets. Chrome polish is a bit too strong and will damage the finish over time.

Eventually, no matter what we do, the chrome finish will disappear after being attacked by environmental elements that will age, tarnish, spot, and disintegrate the finish exposing the light gray plastic underneath. Ugly picture? My buddy at work has an '06 Dakota with 17" chrome clad wheels. The finish on them is already starting to spot through the chrome to the plastic underneath. That is why I suggest this product, or one similar to it. Mother's also has a good product it you can find it. The least abrasive the better, which will help the chrome finish last as long as possible and keep a protective barrier on top to help deflect the elements.

Let's just say they do deteriorate to ugly, would we be able to replace the plastic cover without having to buy all new wheels.

Kinda bummed to hear they're plastic. I thought they sounded funny when tapped on them. I guess I'm always learning something new.

Still love the ride. :Banana01: :pepper:

· Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
backlash, I don't know if there are any provisions for replacing the chrome cladding. I think it is supposed to be permanent. I do know that Dodge is poised to issue a TSB concerning clicking noises emanating from some of these wheels.

However, with proper care, they should look great for at least 5 years. And yeah, I love my Nitro too!

· Registered
29 Posts
HI,
I used Fantastic and a paper towel to get the shipping gunk off my wheels.
The stuff wiped off easily. I then put a coat of wax on the chrome. ( Bead Max non abrasive spray wax )
For regular cleaning up after a trip through the car wash I just use window cleaner and a paper towel.

· Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey 2B7387, that's wonderful if that worked for you. I tried several different household cleaners, but nothing touched the spots. The spots on mine were more like etching than road gunk. Like something you would see after years of hard water build up on glass. There is no telling what mine went through on it's way to Texas.

· Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts

While at wally-world today, I saw one of these MOTHERS PowerBall mini polishing tools and a bottle of Meguiar's Plastic cleaner and polish. The mini power ball fit down into the wheel's slots perfectly. I used Goo Gone to remove any sticky residue, and then the plastic cleaner on the powerball to polish everything off of the wheels. I was pleasantly surprised how fast the entire process went. I was done with all four wheels in less than an hour.

This is a shot of the MOTHERS powerball mini.

These are the products used to clean and polish the wheels.

This is the same area displayed in the first photo, now cleaned and polished.

This is what I should have received from the dealership at time of vehicle delivery. I am definitely pleased with the results. The mini powerball will disintegrate a little during use as it is forced to change it's shape as you press it into the inside corners of the wheel. After use I cleaned it. I expect to get about 20 uses out of it before a new one will be needed.

Here is a shot of the entire wheel after detailing. I refuse to use any wheel shine on these tires as I am not certain that it was not what dealership did to cause the initial buildup on the wheels. This cleaning and polishing process should only be necessary every few months. I hope someone will get a little benefit out of this post because this process would be intolerable and time consuming if being done by hand.

Good information and great pic examples.:beerchug:

· Registered
4,968 Posts

HVN,
Can you get a pic of your friend's truck with the "spotty wheels"? I would like to see what I have to look forward to. :shakehead:

You've replaced those factory "chrome" wheels with other wheels. What are those new wheel? are they "real" chrome?

· Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HVN,
Can you get a pic of your friend's truck with the "spotty wheels"? I would like to see what I have to look forward to. :shakehead:

You've replaced those factory "chrome" wheels with other wheels. What are those new wheel? are they "real" chrome?
No problem Waldorf. I'll snap one tomorrow for you. It would make a good follow up for this thread.

Yes, I put Centerline wheels on mine, but only because I already had them from a previous Liberty and wanted off road tires. The Centerlines are chromed aluminum. They weigh almost exactly the same as the factory wheels.

I still have my original R/T wheels though. I am trying to think of a time that I would be willing to run them. Maybe if I take a road trip, ie...vacation. I need to have one of the original tires replaced because I ran a 6" steel spike through the sidewall. I just have been reluctant to drop a couple hundred dollars on a tire when I am not sure if I will use it or not.

If I stayed on the road all the time, I would still be running the factory R/T 20s whether they are 'chrome clad' or not for the first couple of years or until they begin to fade and spot.

· Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK guys, if you can see through the grunge on my co-workers wheels (he rarely washes his vehicle) then maybe you will be able to see what happens when the cladding begins to deteriorate. These wheels are on an 2006 Dakota.

I tried to wipe away enough road grim so you could see these spots. The wheels looked pretty bad in April when he bought it. The arrows point to some worse spots, but deterioration is widespread and just about everywhere.

· Registered
4,968 Posts
thanks for getting that pic, but it all looks like just road grime to me, but then again, I can't see it in person, and you have. it's like anything I suppose, if you don't take care of it, it will turn to s**t eventually, maybe sooner than later!

I think in the spring, I will look at some REAL chrome wheels. I've had my eye on some of those Zyoxx ZX4 with the blue inserts!!!

· Registered
136 Posts
I was on the fence about the power ball until I saw HVNs write up. Sure there are other ways to do it but the power ball with high quality polish sure makes life easier, it really gave mine a deep clear shine with very little effort.

· Registered
27 Posts
Thanks to HVN and this handy tip my chrome clads shine and sparkle.

After a couple washings I noticed a build up and saw water spots when looking at my wheels. I used the mini ball and the PlastiX polish and now they look great.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.