Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi community,

my issue of the day is fault code P2453. Diesel particulate filter pressure Sensor 1 circuit Performance.

Very poor idle, engine does not rev over 1.800/min.

The error log shows this:

Font Material property Screenshot Rectangle Number

Okay .. tonight i removed the sensor and ordered a new one.

Camera accessory Bicycle part Auto part Gas Font

I need the car, but the nitro is stuck in emergency run. No chance to ride this rig until the problem is solved. I will NOT try to clean the sensor, piezo pressure inside will not go live any more with pressure cleaning. I will better pressure clean the hoses in and out of the sensor after having this posted.

Okay, checking the particulate filter diagnosis by alfaOBD there are strange values in. I am automotive engineer and i hoped to be able to understand what this log should say .. But honestly speaking, this log is programmed madness ..

Font Material property Screenshot Rectangle Parallel

differential pressure offset 65510 hPa, this is 65 bar? Stuck in digits?
Soot Mass 0,02 G ... what is G? Gramm? I hope this will not be G-force .. :alien:

The dark log of April shows additional confusing values:

Font Screenshot Software Electronic device Multimedia

Soot mass 3,3 G ?
One regeneration during 2.150 km seem not very much, I use the truck for long distances. The low overal mileage is the result of the nitro brake and fuel pump disaster this year 2021.

I am not sure, if the particulate filter is at its end. By value Soot mass reduced to 0,02G it should be okay.

But, very poor programming by AlfaOBD is the missing values of particulate filter load in percentage.

Soot Mass 0,02 G is completely unreal. Would be better than new. As Jan suggested, i will now go and clean and check differential Sensor pipes.

Insane and sad greetings

Fritz

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hope Jan will be in there too ..

I cleaned the pipes and reset fault codes and startet the engine WITH THE OLD SENSOR again. Same procedure as every day. No revs, no performance, distorted ignition.

Alfa OBD shows this: (the first unnamed table is the differential Sensor pressure). The sensor is active. But no idea if the sensor is damaged and reports wrong pressure. I hope, then a new would solve the issue).

the zig-zag is due to gas pedal acceleration. Revs count up to 2000/min, no more revs are accepted by emergency mode.

Rectangle Slope Font Line Red

If everything is ok you can also force regenerate the DPF with diagnostic tool.
I am sorrym but I do not find this procedure inside alfaOBD .. can you please show where it can be found?

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
check the 2 hoses to the sensor, inspect closely for cracks in the rubber.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jan for this pic, there are very good informations in, especially Regeneration AND Sensor Replacement which can be recalibrated. Checking the hoses is very, very hard.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
in the vehicle live data can you see what the pressure sensor is reading, on my wife car when i rev the engine the sensor reading is way to high and flashing red, today i will check the sensor and take a pressure reading from the end of both sensor tubes, if all is good then its a blocked DPF,

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
i have never touched the sensor, but the last owner may have done, the DPF fault has been ongoing since we bought the car, i just kept erasing the fault code, last week it went into limp mode, so now i have to find the cause, and fix it, hopeing its the sensor but pretty sure the DPF is blocked,
the fault code is for DPF regenerating too frequent,
although the differential pressure is good,

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Leaking injectors can cause DPF to block too frequently.
would you say the DPF was blocked if the differential pressure is within spec

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when i rev the engine the sensor reading is way to high and flashing red, today i will check the sensor and take a pressure reading from the end of both sensor
write down the pressure taken at 2500 rpm then we can countercheck our values. I will do the same with mine.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Not my Nitro its my wifes Mazda

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello again .. :=)

If everything is ok you can also force regenerate the DPF with diagnostic tool.
Jap, i will do when the Nitro is hopefully out of emergency mode.

check the 2 hoses to the sensor, inspect closely for cracks in the rubber.
Impossible without removing the dfp. I got no lift, i am lying under this fucking rig in the dirt.

Leaking injectors can cause DPF to block too frequently.
hmhhmm .. My average fuel consumption is level down to 9,2 Litres / 100 km ..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
okay, today status is as follows:

I have the new sensor in, but the engine doesn't rev ober 2500 rpm. I took a new reading of the differential values at idle and 2000/min.

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Screenshot

At idle speed differential pressure is 4kPa (40 mbar=0,58 psi ), 2000 rpm rises up to peak 16 kPa (160 mbar =2,3 psi) .

Manufacturer values are quoted with 15 mbar = 0,21 psi and 50 mbar at 2000 rpm.

My values are approxemately 3 times higher than recommended.

Is there anybody in who can do a differential pressure measurement as i did to have me a comparison value?

I am stuck in assumptions, I have removed the diesel particulate filter from my rig and looked inside with an endoskope.

Output device Grille Product Electronic instrument Mobile phone

I expected something more worse than this. But now, I am totally confused.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
you need to look into the DPF from the inlet side (nearest the engine)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can't judge the soot load of the dpf only by checking the entry surface.

If there is oily soot by wrong engine oil inside the dpf filter channels, the filter is clogged anyway.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
well thats great news your dpf looks in good shape
if the dpf was blocked you would have some kind of visual blocage even if it was full of burnt ash you can normaly see red ash blocking some of the holes,

i have just spent a few hours looking at my wifes mazda, i did check the differential pressure to compare with your Nitro, normal is about 2kpa, when i rev the engine it rises to about 10kpa, scan tool says its normal,

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
have just spent a few hours looking at my wifes mazda, i did check the differential pressure to compare with your Nitro, normal is about 2kpa, when i rev the engine it rises to about 10kpa, scan tool says its normal,
Good morning Nitrogen,

thank you very much for counterchecking👍

my nitro has 4 kPa when in idle and 16 kPa at 2000/min ... that's my doubt the filter is clogged up.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts