Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
There is NO dipstick(anywhere for anyone) for the Transmission fluid check. Your not suppose to be able to check it or add to it. And using the Oil dipstick would be a bad idea. Since you don't know how long it should be.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,009 Posts
Ah, but there is one available. :))
https://millerspecialtools.service-solutions.com/Detail.aspx?id=847
Or http://www.etoolcart.com/chrysler-dip-stick-gauge-9336-a.aspx
Quote from the repair manual;
"The transmission Oil Dipstick 9336 has indicator marks every 10mm. Determine the height of the oil level on the dipstick and using the height, the transmission temperature, and the Transmission Fluid Graph, determine if the transmission oil level is correct."

They really just want your $ to go to a dealer. This is what the Maggi folks are using. It is the same for the Nitro.
Put it in till it touches the bottom and pull it out, read the level. It will not go all the way in!

Another couple of quotes from the SM;
"The dipstick will protrude from the fill tube when installed."
"Warm up the transmission, wait at least 2 minutes and check the oil level with the engine running.
Push the Oil Dipstick 9336 into transmission fill tube until the dipstick tip contacts the oil pan and pull out
again, read off oil level, repeat if necessary."​

It is the same for the NAG1 and the 42RLE transmissions.​

Reactions: Joe G and nunya

·
Registered
16,212 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
https://millerspecialtools.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=847
"The transmission Oil Dipstick 9336 has indicator marks every 10mm. Determine the height of the oil level on the dipstick and using the height, the transmission temperature, and the Transmission Fluid Graph, determine if the transmission oil level is correct."

They really just want your $ to go to a dealer. This is what the Maggi folks are using. It is the same for the Nitro.
Put it in till it touches the bottom and pull it out, read the level. It will not go all the way in!

"Warm up the transmission, wait at least 2 minutes and check the oil level with the engine running.
Push the Oil Dipstick 9336 into transmission fill tube until the dipstick tip contacts the oil pan and pull out
again, read off oil level, repeat if necessary."

I stand corrected.Thank you. :knee7rm:

Are you using one ScarO?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,009 Posts
Nope. I have the manual trany.
One of the keys to using it is that you need to be able to monitor the transmission fluid temperature. The reading on the dipstick will vary quite a bit with every 10 Deg. warmer or cooler.
See the below charts. (All temperatures are in °F.)
Trany fluid Level Capped tube

Trany fluid Level Not Capped tube

For the 4.0 and 2.8 CRD owners with the NAG1 trany.

Without a scan-gage tool it would be difficult to determine the temperature of the fluid.
However, if I had an automatic and the fluid level was somewhere in the upper-mid to upper range on the dipstick, once the transmission is warm, I would be comfortable with that.
On level ground of course.
But I must caution anyone about doing this on your own. I have merely supplied some information and my opinions here.
I am not responsible for how you use this information, or any possible damage that may occur from you not servicing your vehicle properly.

Now if someone were to get a dipstick, have there trany serviced by a dealer, and then imediatly check the level. We would have some "Real" numbers to go by...

·
Banned
24 Posts
When the transmission is cold, the level is between 75 and 80 on the dipstick!

This is for the 4 Speed 42RLE transmission.

On the dipstick, between here;

Although explicitly stated to use ONLY Mopar ATF+4 transmission fluid for the Automatic Transmission and Power Steering fluid, any aftermarket fluid meeting Chrysler MS-9602 will be fine for the Dodge Nitro.

Besides having to purchase Miller Tools 9336-A, an aftermarket tool company (can't remember the name) offers the same tool under the part number CRY933. It comes with the PDF file for it.

The Miller Tools 9336-A has gone a slight revision from a Red Top Circular plastic dipstick handle to a new Black "T" shape handle under the same part number.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,009 Posts
Great info! I merged your posts as requested and added the link to the tool and PDF file.
This will really come in handy for the DIYers here on the forum.

Reactions: Beckpea319

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Help a Nitro bro out! Has anyone measured the length of the Chrysler Oil Dipstick 9336? I would like to know the length inserted to bottom of pan to tube edge.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
Just an FYI. A Dodge Dakota with the 3.7 has the same auto transmission as the 3.7 Nitro, and the Dakota comes with a Transmission Dipstick! What does that tell you? :confused:

:cool:

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,009 Posts
I know someone with a 07 Dakota who tried their dipstick in an 08 Libby 42RLE trany. It did not fit (too long and wrong size cap/tube)... They also took some different measurements and the level was all over the place depending on if the trany was cold, warm, or hot. It also was not consistent after setting overnight (cold trany) and varied depending on outside temp.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I just received a coupon from the local Dodge dealer since I registered my Nitro's VIN. Oil special and fluids check. My plan is to do an oil change and let them check the trans oil level. Afterwards, I'm going to check the level with a Dakota trans oil dipstick. I'll note temp and level.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
On the "red" forum, there are a number of guys (from years ago, LOL) that use a Dakota dipstick and it is accurate, according to their posts. As I have not done this, I can not approve or disprove their theory.

:cool:

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,009 Posts
If we could get some good measurements posted in this thread, then at least we could establish a "Base line" to go from. :smileup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
https://millerspecialtools.service-solutions.com/Detail.aspx?id=847

again, read off oil level, repeat if necessary."​

thanks for the info. I did get a dipstick, like i mentioned earlier... when i put in the dipstick it reads up to about 100mm.
how do i know that the level is where it needs to be? Is there somewhere or some information i can get that helps me to read what I am seeing?
thanks

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,009 Posts
To accurately read the level you need to know what the trany fluid temperature is. Post 8.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I drive my Nitro around for a while to get the fluid hot. Once it's hot, I check it with the Dakota dipstick. Everytime so far it's been between the marks. I think it works for me. I would still have the dealer check it once a year if you see any type of leak.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts