Dodge Nitro Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I drive my Nitro around for a while to get the fluid hot. Once it's hot, I check it with the Dakota dipstick. Everytime so far it's been between the marks. I think it works for me. I would still have the dealer check it once a year if you see any type of leak.
Hi NitroChemist, based on post #8 above, if my dip stick is showing a reading around the 100mm mark, is that a good reading or do i need to add more? I just want to be sure here... the last time i took a reading, the dip stick was at the 100mm to 110mm mark. Based on the chart that is in Post#8, it seems that it might need more oil in there? I appreciate the feedback.
thank you.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Let me drive my Nitro around to get the fluid hot. I'll find a level location and measure the oil level.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Sorry, not yet. I'm getting over the holiday hangover and returning to work. Haha! I'll check and take pics this evening when I drive home. I'll measure up from the Dakota tip for oil levels.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Ok, finally checked the oil level. The weather is cool now. Driving distance was probably 10 miles or so. Gear selector in Neutral and Park. The oil level read up to the first dipstick curve. Sorry, I didn't get a tape measuring tape out. I can measure the stick later today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
thanks
Ok, finally checked the oil level. The weather is cool now. Driving distance was probably 10 miles or so. Gear selector in Neutral and Park. The oil level read up to the first dipstick curve. Sorry, I didn't get a tape measuring tape out. I can measure the stick later today.
, looking forward to it....

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Meaurements!!
Oil level 2.5" or 6.5 mm from the tip.

I had the oil changed a few months ago. The guy was not sure how many to put in. He added the exact amount he took out. I remember correctly leave the dealer and the oil mark was at the top dotted measurement. So it may be a little on the higher side. It's just a tad above the two "full level" marks.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
Here’s my intention: I’m going to get an aftermarket trans pan, it has an extra threaded
boss cast into it for whatever you want to put. I’m going to run a piece of tubing up to
the engine bay a put a temp gauge. Thanks. Douglas

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
34 Posts
I read all through this thread. We understand about the temps. But, bottom line....at any temperature (and we know how to check it) what are the levels for this truck. Also, would a Dorman 917-327 serve the purpose? I think it would as long as we know the mm/temp.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,009 Posts
I read all through this thread. We understand about the temps. But, bottom line....at any temperature (and we know how to check it) what are the levels for this truck. Also, would a Dorman 917-327 serve the purpose? I think it would as long as we know the mm/temp.
Post 8 has the graphs you will need. Not sure if the Dorman is the same dipstick as miller tool 9336A, 9541.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nope. I have the manual trany.
One of the keys to using it is that you need to be able to monitor the transmission fluid temperature. The reading on the dipstick will vary quite a bit with every 10 Deg. warmer or cooler.
See the below charts. (All temperatures are in °F.)
Trany fluid Level Capped tube

Trany fluid Level Not Capped tube

Without a scan-gage tool it would be difficult to determine the temperature of the fluid.
However, if I had an automatic and the fluid level was somewhere in the upper-mid to upper range on the dipstick, once the transmission is warm, I would be comfortable with that.
On level ground of course.
But I must caution anyone about doing this on your own. I have merely supplied some information and my opinions here.
I am not responsible for how you use this information, or any possible damage that may occur from you not servicing your vehicle properly.

Now if someone were to get a dipstick, have there trany serviced by a dealer, and then imediatly check the level. We would have some "Real" numbers to go by...
Printed this out for hubby. He went to Advance Auto and bought a generic Dorman dipstick. He knows how to check the temp/mm. Thank you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nope. I have the manual trany.
One of the keys to using it is that you need to be able to monitor the transmission fluid temperature. The reading on the dipstick will vary quite a bit with every 10 Deg. warmer or cooler.
See the below charts. (All temperatures are in °F.)
Trany fluid Level Capped tube

Trany fluid Level Not Capped tube

For the 4.0 owners with the NAG1 trany.

Without a scan-gage tool it would be difficult to determine the temperature of the fluid.
However, if I had an automatic and the fluid level was somewhere in the upper-mid to upper range on the dipstick, once the transmission is warm, I would be comfortable with that.
On level ground of course.
But I must caution anyone about doing this on your own. I have merely supplied some information and my opinions here.
I am not responsible for how you use this information, or any possible damage that may occur from you not servicing your vehicle properly.

Now if someone were to get a dipstick, have there trany serviced by a dealer, and then imediatly check the level. We would have some "Real" numbers to go by...
The top chart is that for the UK 2.8crd? Only gone and lost a bucket of fluid due to the trans cooler leaking!

Thanks 👍

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,009 Posts
The top chart is that for the UK 2.8crd? Only gone and lost a bucket of fluid due to the trans cooler leaking!

Thanks 👍
No,
the 2.8 CRD Auto has the NAG1 tranny, last graph W5A580,
Sorry about not including the 2.8 in that post. I have updated it to include the 2.8 now.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts