Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dislike the horn alarm blowing when I use the button to lock the car and then use the key to unlock. I've had this in other cars I've owned and just cut a wire to kill it. But the Nitro has the computer doing everything it seems. Where would I start to do this?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,842 Posts
Hey James, do you have an owners manual? If not see the bottom of this thread.
Post 1 also has instructions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scar, thanks for the reply. I have the manual and had looked thru it but no clue as to permanently de-programing the alarm, just tells how to shut it off when triggered. Hmmnn.. any other ideas?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,842 Posts
The alarm is different then the horn honk on lock/unlock.
See page 21-22 in the 08 owners manual.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scar I read this earlier but on your advice I tried it again. Locking the car with the armrest button then later using the key to un-lock still sets off the alarm horn. I would like to kill the feature entirely.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
check the EVIC info, normaly this is an EVIC setting, you can set the doors to lock with a honk of the horn, or you can choose the headlights to flash or just have the doors lock with no Indicator,

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,842 Posts
I think I'm missing something here. So for clarification. You are locking the rig with the button on the drivers door. Then come back and use the physical key in the lock cylinder to unlock the door, and the alarm goes off when you open the door?

We are not talking about a single beep of the horn, but the actual continuous repeated honking of the alarm, correct?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,842 Posts
Yes Scar, that is the sequence and horn blowing I'm enduring.
Ah OK, glad we are on the same page now. 👍
Easy thing to do is to lock the doors with the drivers control in the door while the rig is running. Then shut it off, open the drivers door and push down the lock pin by hand, close door. This will not set the alarm.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah OK, glad we are on the same page now. 👍
Easy thing to do is to lock the doors with the drivers control in the door while the rig is running. Then shut it off, open the drivers door and push down the lock pin by hand, close door. This will not set the alarm.
Ok, will it stay this way or just this one time?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,842 Posts
Just once. You will need to do it each time.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,842 Posts
Well I'll have to come up with something else, my wife and I both drive the Nitro won't work with her.
Is there a reason you don't unlock it with the remote keyfob?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a reason you don't unlock it with the remote keyfob?
I only got one key w/fob when I bought the Nitro. Had some extra keys made that are metal key and ignition sentry only. Hard for me to pay the dealer $140 for a key when I'm used to paying less than $5. On retirement income got to save where possible.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,842 Posts
I only got one key w/fob when I bought the Nitro. Had some extra keys made that are metal key and ignition sentry only. Hard for me to pay the dealer $140 for a key when I'm used to paying less than $5. On retirement income got to save where possible.
I bought my extra key/fob from E-bay. Had to wait 2 weeks to arrive from China, but it works great. I think it was like $12

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought my extra key/fob from E-bay. Had to wait 2 weeks to arrive from China, but it works great. I think it was like $12
I only have one original key so self programing extra keys won't work. Local key shop charges $70 for this. So....

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,842 Posts
I only have one original key so self programing extra keys won't work. Local key shop charges $70 for this. So....
You said have 2 keys that will start the Nitro, so that is all you need to program one yourself.
You do not need to use the fob button for programming.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You said have 2 keys that will start the Nitro, so that is all you need to program one yourself.
You do not need to use the fob button for programming.
As I read the procedure it said I need two original keys. I only have one original key, the others are copies the key shop made.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,842 Posts
Did the key shop copy the ID/serial number from the original and put that ID into the new keys? Or did they program the new key ID/serial numbers into the system?
If they programed the new keys into the system, and they will start the Nitro and it keeps running, then one of those and an original should work to program more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts