Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends, I'm really hoping to build a roof rack for my tro this week, I can weld, and I have supplies, was just ordering who has done it and what it looks like, so if you don't mind drop a picture below! Thanks much!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Any Q's just let me know...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That definitely is nice Scar! It was very useful and it helped me learn what I want. I'm going to craft something very much like that, but have it a little closer to the roof, how do you think it would look fitting between the black roof rails? I also want to build it with a metal mesh bottom for jerry cans and my spare, what a professional looking rack you built though!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Thank you. I opted not to use expanded steel to conserve a little on weight.
The top of the Nitro is curved/arched side to side. So you will only be able to go a little closer to the roof. Mine is 1.5" from the center high point(2x4 laid flat). Even at that height I sometimes have trouble getting tie downs/ropes under there with an X-mass tree on top.
Note the roof is wider at the front then the rear. So if you cut/weld, or bend, beware they are not 90° corners.
If you go 2 tier sides like I did, watch out for the bows in the side rails it will create. See post 31 in the link.

The only thing I would have done differently would be to shorten the 2 main loops a little to hold them back from the top of the wind shield. My rack lights tend to shine a little more on my hood then I would like, causing a little glare. I suppose I could just move the lights back a little to stop that. But it is not terrible, so I live with it. lol

Looking forward to what you come up with as a design!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi friends, I'm really hoping to build a roof rack for my tro this week, I can weld, and I have supplies, was just ordering who has done it and what it looks like, so if you don't mind drop a picture below! Thanks much!
I posted some photos recently...must be in another "thread". Good luck !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts