Dodge Nitro 3.7 V6 / Sound Of Grinding In Bellhouseing ???? | Dodge Nitro Forum

Dodge Nitro 3.7 V6 / Sound Of Grinding In Bellhouseing ????

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro Mechanical Problems and Questions' started by Madlands, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Madlands

Madlands New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 DODGE NITRO /3.7. V6
    Trim:
    SE
    Color:
    Stone White
    Hi was wondering if anyone had any ideas ???that could help me figure this out ...grinding sound just started ...went to start an warm her up in am....as turned key started but ,sound is there loud ..got down an under sounds right in bell of tranny where flexplate is .just got her about a month ago ...one owner well takin care of .....has power still.DROVE UP RAMPS NO HEST.just THAT LOUD NOISE....any one ????any ideas ????I thank you in advance =(

Nitrogen likes this.
  2. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Welcome to the forum Madlands. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
    Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
    That way we can welcome you all proper like.

My first thought is a stuck starter. Either the starter is sill energized (possibly the key not going back to "run" position, maybe a stuck relay). Or the return spring in the starter is not pulling the starter gear back into the starter after the rig starts.
    Second thought is a warped or broken flex plate. Possibly the ring gear came loose and is hitting the trany cowl, or starter.

If it was flex plate bolts(warped/broken flex plate) hitting the cowl or inspection plate, the sound would be a definite clicking sound.

If it involves the starter and or ring gear, the sound would be very rapid.

Was there any recent trany work done to this rig?

3. Madlands

Madlands New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 DODGE NITRO /3.7. V6
    Trim:
    SE
    Color:
    Stone White
    Hi I Shur will as soon as have a chance to my wife does dialysis,2 hrs away from town ..three times a week ..over weekend got it up on ramps,..but haven't got time to start

Scar0 likes this.