Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I have a 2010 Dodge Nitro Sxt and my airbag light will not go off. Today i took to a auto part store to get it scanned and they said it had a low battery voltage. The guy said that i have need to replace my alternator before i drain my battery. He also stated that is the reason why my airbag light came on.. Just wondering.. is that true? Before i buy the airbag clock spring and replace that??

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,584 Posts
Good to have you here. Enjoy the forum!

BTW... Post a pic of your Nitro when you can.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Hi Coach Kenny and Welcome

the truth is the airbag light could be caused by anything to do with the airbag system, personally i would get someone else to check for the exact airbag code, don't throw parts at your ride, you could just be waisting your money

did the parts store give you a code ?

Reactions: Scar0

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,538 Posts
Hello and welcome @Coach Kenny,
to the Nitro “Z” family!
I'm looking forward to your future posts & Pics. We love Pics here!
We also like new Mod ideas.

Enjoy the forumZ.

Scar

BTW;

If you could please go to your personal-details (<click this) and fill in the “Vehicle:” info about your rig. It will be easier for us to answer your questions down the road, without us having to ask a bunch of questions.

As you can see at the left of every post I make, under my Ape Avatar;
This is what I drive:
Vehicle:
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
Or alternately you could put it in your signature (<click this)...

·
Registered
54 Posts
now did the parts store run an actual test on the battery and alternator ( a load test ) to determine they were bad or just read a code? if they did a proper load test and it stated they were bad then yes replace them first. a proper load test is done with the car running and stresses the system to see if the alt. can keep up with the load... a battery test can show if there is a bad battery.

a low battery or low current to the system could put on a warning light, what the module looks for " 5 volts " and the safe working range of voltage, it will flag a fault if the module is too high, too low of voltage or if there is no communication to the module. some modules have tighter tolerances than others.
theory of code data, scan tools give you only what code the computer states, a place to start looking so to speak, also the most common solution to a problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey,
I have a 2010 Dodge Nitro Sxt and my airbag light will not go off. Today i took to a auto part store to get it scanned and they said it had a low battery voltage. The guy said that i have need to replace my alternator before i drain my battery. He also stated that is the reason why my airbag light came on.. Just wondering.. is that true? Before i buy the airbag clock spring and replace that??
Yes and no on that response.

Alternators are an easy fix, but it might be wrong. You need to bench test it...outside the car. Most of these parts stores have basically a battery checker/alternator output checker. Have your car checked with a real computer analyzer. Most every major function goes through the computer in the engine compartment on the passenger side inner fender. Go to a reliable shop - not a dealership - have it checked - my guys in my favorite shop did it for free but didn't want to replace the computer (ECM) because it need to be programed. There are websites that recondition computers and reprogram them at a significantly less cost of an dealership OEM. I replace mine for 200 bucks.

Now on to the air bag light - there was a recall on certain years and VINs. My light is on...it is probably a failed separate computer module that this inside the shifter console. I dread taking anything apart in an interior becasue it seems to never fit back together properly. There is a Dodge service bulletin on the explaining everything including part numbers - this was a problem in a lot of Dodge vehicles. It is available on the net as well. Most independent shops stay away from this type of repair as well - who can blame them - it is a royal pain in the ass.

There are websites with this part available - the cost is about 60 or 70 bucks. My light went on about two years ago - I had no collision that caused this. My Nitro is not included in the service recall - which is rather disappointing. I contacted the NTSB because my NItro falls into the middle of years of the recall...my VIN is not included.

Looks of luck - Nitros are not junk - good drivelines, suspensions, etc. Yet the electronics and computers are troublesome.
The question is - do you bite the bullet and take it somewhere to really fix it - not some big box parts store? Fix it yourself and learn something - this is a long a winding road? Or take a huge hit and by something else?

I like my Nitro as cantankerous as it can be. I use it for a tow vehicle for my kayak outfitting business. It has 3.7 with 2WD and works well for us. I repair everything myself. It is sort of a zen inspired ownership Yin and Yang - good and not so good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
you can check for recalls - https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2010/DODGE/NITRO/4%2520DR/RWD%252FAWD enter vin is a little down the page.
the parts place I go to for checking the alt. uses the carbon pile style to put an actual load on it, haven't had to check the alt. on mine ( 07 ) but I know the place I go to still uses that style of tester.
and yes the Nitro besides a few issues is a good vehicle.
good luck with yours hope it works out to be an easy fix

1 - 8 of 8 Posts