Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i'm from ireland and looking for some help/guidance.
there are no main dodge dealers in ireland now and i bought a 2008 nitro 2.8 diesel in september '13.
Since may of this year (2014) i seem to have a problem with the fuel injectors that i cannot figure out. the engine warning light comes on and then the engine shuts off. after a couple of starts and revving the engine the motor starts again and everything is fine but the engine warning light still remains on. after a day or two the engine light goes off and stays off for a number of days but then the entire process starts again. i ran the diagnostics with a mechanic and it is shown faults on the injectors. sometimes all 4 injectors are coming up with a fault, sometimes just one, two etc etc. the injectors were cleaned, opened, reinstalled etc but to no success with this problem.
if someone has an idea or any help it will really be appreciated.

many thanks from a proud dodge nitro owner from dublin, ireland.

· Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
29,175 Posts
Welcome to the forum dodgeireland. :wave:
When you have a chance, head over to the
Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

What were the codes you got?

BTW;
If you go to your User CP and fill in the details (Vehicle: ) info about your rig, the easier it will be for us to answer questions down the road, without us having to ask a bunch of questions. :thk:
As you can see in the upper right of every post I make;

This is what I drive:
Vehicle: 07 Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Light Khaki Metallic

· Premium Member
29,175 Posts
Thanks for filling in your vehicle details. :rep:

· Premium Member
29,175 Posts
Check relays, K1, K2, K4, and K10.
Disconnect the Neg(-) battery cable and wait ten minutes for the airbag capacitors to discharge. Then look at the wiring under the TIPM (computerized fuse box).
Look for chafed wires. The TIPM brackets have sharp edges which could wear through the insulation.

· Premium Member
29,175 Posts
While you are at it, check the injector plugs and related wires are secure.
You could have a loose connection causing the "open" fault.

To check the relays, if you don't have a tester, just buy one new one, replace one of the above. If the fault still exists, then the one you removed was good, so swap it with the next one in the list. If a relay turns out to not be the issue, then you will have a spare. ;)

· Premium Member
29,175 Posts
Your welcome.
Hope it is a happy outcome. :smileup:

· Registered
3 Posts
Hello newbie here just bought a lovely nitro but I also am having the exact same problem
I am waiting on the garage to see what they are going to do about it but was curious if you managed to resolve your issue and what itwas in the end ?

· I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,685 Posts
Potential causes for the 'circuit high' codes include:
Faulty electrical harness from the PCM to the injector. Faulty electrical connector on the fuel injector. Internally shorted fuel injector causing a high-voltage draw. Plugged or dirty fuel injector.

Diagnosis and Repair Procedure:
It's been my experience over the years, that the problem is typically a corroded or loose fuel injector connector, or a faulty fuel injector. A loose connector causes excessive resistance thereby increasing the voltage necessary for operation. The wiring harness to the powertrain control module (PCM) is not easily accessible, and left undisturbed is seldom faulty. The fuel injector, on the other hand, is susceptible to a variety of problems. The number one problem is fuel with anhydrous ethanol content. This fuel additive reduces the oil base fuel consumption. The water vapor produced with E10 anhydrous ethanol has an adverse effect on the fuel injectors. They rely on fuel for lubrication. Water vapor reduces the friction reducing attributes of gasoline and causes premature wear in the injector. Small engine manufacturers do not endorse the use of ethanol based fuels as they significantly reduce the service life of a small engine.

• Inspect the electrical connector on the fuel injector. Look for bent or pushed out pins.
  • Install some dielectric grease and push the electrical connector on the fuel injector. Make sure it is a tight fit and the metal spring retaining clip is in place.
  • Start the engine. Place a long screwdriver handle to your ear and the tip on the fuel injector. A clicking sound indicates a working injector. No sound is the opposite Disconnect the fuel injector.
  • With an ohmmeter, check the resistance between the two male terminal blades. A good injector will have 0.5 to 2.0 ohms. More or less ohms indicates an injector with an internal short.
  • If the resistance is correct and the injector could be heard operating, the next step is to attempt to clean the injector. If cleaning fails to restore the injector to normal operating parameters, the only alternative is to replace the injector.
  • Purchase a 'direct injection cleaner kit consisting of a can of cleaner and a injection hose. Pull the fuel pump fuse and start the engine. Allow it to run until it stalls.
  • Remove the schrader valve from the fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail. Install the hose on the test port.
  • Pinch off the fuel return line directly behind the fuel pressure regulator using a needle nose vise grips.
  • Open the bottle of cleaner to build pressure in the fuel rail.
  • Start the engine and allow it to run on the bottle of fuel injection cleaner until it stalls.
  • Turn off the key and remove the cleaner hose from the test port. Install the schrader valve, remove the vise grips from the return line and install the fuel pump fuse.
  • Use a common code scanner to erase the trouble codes. Start the engine. If the code returns, replace the injector.

Article by Don Bowman, ASE Certified Automotive Tech

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0271
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Reactions: Nitrogen

· I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,685 Posts
Without diagnosing it in person, The problem could be one or multiple cause(s). Since faulty wiring is, in my experience, rarely the cause, I'm almost willing to bet that your injectors have become clogged and need replaced.

The best way to diagnose them is to, first, check the OHM resistance. Secondly, (if OHM range is good) to do a fuel pressure test, which involves a specialized machine designed for testing injectors. That said, if you had a trouble code on only one injector, there is another method for testing fuel injectors that doesn't require a machine, and can be done in the engine itself.

However, since you have codes on all of them, I'm inclined to thinks it's the injectors. It could still be an electrical issue, though. So, your idea of seeking an auto electrician is a good judgement call. Hopefully, he/you can figure it out, and resolve the issue.

Good luck to you!

Reactions: Scar0 and Nitrogen

· Premium Member
29,175 Posts
Welcome to the forum Pauldev69.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi all i'm from ireland and looking for some help/guidance.
there are no main dodge dealers in ireland now and i bought a 2008 nitro 2.8 diesel in september '13.
Since may of this year (2014) i seem to have a problem with the fuel injectors that i cannot figure out. the engine warning light comes on and then the engine shuts off. after a couple of starts and revving the engine the motor starts again and everything is fine but the engine warning light still remains on. after a day or two the engine light goes off and stays off for a number of days but then the entire process starts again. i ran the diagnostics with a mechanic and it is shown faults on the injectors. sometimes all 4 injectors are coming up with a fault, sometimes just one, two etc etc. the injectors were cleaned, opened, reinstalled etc but to no success with this problem.
if someone has an idea or any help it will really be appreciated.

many thanks from a proud dodge nitro owner from dublin, ireland.
Hi look to see if it's not the fuel relay or fuel filter clean the fuel cap some times will not seal this will put the car into lip mod , you could also reset the computer .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts