Dodge Nitro Reviews - First Impressions for My '08 R/T

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro Reviews' started by LeeSoFl, May 26, 2008.

1. LeeSoFl

LeeSoFl Member

Vehicle:
    08 Nitro
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    I took delivery on my R/T on Friday. The truck is fun to drive, pretty peppy and seems to be well built; the fit and finish is good. A few things caught my eye right off the bat.

The driver's power seat only adjusts the seat bottom and not the back. That has to be adjusted for desired tilt with the side lever and it is a bit awkward.

Closing the rear lift door is a two handed operation. They provide two inset handles in the door to pull it down, but it doesn't go the distance in latching in one move. I need to then grab the chrome Dodge logo on the outside to push it closed.

The EVIC display could be a bit larger. For example on the tire monitor portion of the display, the actual inflation numbers are very small, considerably smaller than the same feature on my 300C.

I wish it had a little more hidden storage space. Although I knew it was limited, it just seems that many SUV type trucks have some sort of closed space in the rear near the wheel wells. (I also though I was supposed to have a power outlet next to where the tire jack is, and I don't.)

I am not at the final "break in" period specified by Chrysler, and although it's been on the highway at 70 - 80 mph, I haven't done the full burst acceleration yet.

The dealer told me that after an oil change at 3000 miles, they recommend a change every 6000 miles after that. I'm pleased with that news as this is the first car that hasn't gotten a change every 3000 miles.

As a final note, the dealer delivered the car with 42 lbs in each tire. Even though I plan on changing over to nitrogen when we do the first oil change, I checked the door label and it says 33 psi for the 20 inch wheels. I've lowered the presssure to 35 psi and will see how the ride feels. When I drove on the highway with the original 42 psi, it was a rather firm feel.

I'll get some pictures up next weekend after I detail the 300C. This way I can make it a "family" portrait.

Be well,
    Lee

dk1677 and Quiet Lunatic like this.
  2. mdwcalif

mdwcalif Active Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    2008 Nitro 4x4
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Sunburst Orange
    Welcome to the R/T folks among us, Lee! Sounds like you overall are pleased, and that's great to hear. What color is your R/T? Is it 4x4 or 4x2? Did you order it fully loaded with MYGIG and all that?

I'm loving my Sunburst Orange R/T 4x4 -- I have notice the things you mentioned in your comments, but overall have found them not to be problems, just features.

And pardon my ignorance, but .. you said you're changing to nitrogen at the first oil change, and you mentioned it in context of your tire pressure. Could you explain that, please? This means there are options I don't know about!

Welcome to the best forum on the planet! You're in good company -- I'm the least knowledgeable among us; there are lots of experts around.

3. Waldorf

Waldorf Well-Known Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro 4.0L 4x4
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Electric Blue
    yes! some members have taken the leap and replaced the air in their tires with nitrogen! :smileup:

4. BlueJet

BlueJet Banned NOTM Winner! HeelZ and WheelZ

Vehicle:
    '07 Nitro
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Electric Blue
    But my dear....some people may not know WHY. An explanation here may be a good thing?;)

5. Waldorf

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro 4.0L 4x4
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Electric Blue
    fine, "my dear"! I copied the following text from a CBC.ca website article:

Unlike oxygen molecules, which are so small they leak through tires over time, nitrogen molecules are much larger, so the tires will stay fully inflated three to four times longer. The result is a better drive, increased gas mileage and longer tire life for motorists who make the switch.

Hope this explains it sufficiently! :chuckle:

6. BlueJet

BlueJet Banned NOTM Winner! HeelZ and WheelZ

Vehicle:
    '07 Nitro
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Electric Blue
    Yes, sweetie, it does!!! Thank you very much!!;)

7. mdwcalif

mdwcalif Active Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    2008 Nitro 4x4
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Sunburst Orange
    Okaaay, sugarplums! It's sounding good! So, if we are sold on the preeminent logic of this concept, where do we go to get this nitrogen stuff into our tires? Must we acquire personal tanks and take care of that ourselves, and if so, where? Or are there commercial outlets for the stuff? Dare we hope that gas stations might supply such a thing, or is it WAY too advanced for that?

And, seriously, thanks for the explanations, and the help getting the explanations :)

8. Waldorf

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro 4.0L 4x4
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Electric Blue
    I don't know about Cali, but you should try various tire repair shops.

9. Quiet Lunatic

Quiet Lunatic Dodge Nitro Forum

Vehicle:
    Dodge Nitro
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Black
    Congrats on picking up your Nitro. I look forward to seeing your family pix..:)

10. nitrojunky

nitrojunky Member

Vehicle:
    '07 Nitro
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Inferno Red
    You should be able to find it at your local expert tire store there in beautiful California.

There are other advantages to the nitrogen as well...such as, but not limited to, no moisture in the tire from nitrogen like there is with air, thus eliminating any sort of vibration from water build up in your tires and also eliminating the moisture exposure to your wheels inside the tire. Also, nitrogen will not expand when the tires get warm like air does. Hope that helps a little!

Steve

11. MeanGirl

MeanGirl Well-Known Member NOTM Winner! HeelZ and WheelZ

Vehicle:
    Nitro "The Beast"
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Black
    LSF, congrats on that nitro!!! post up some picks of that BLACK BEAUTY, my fellow dark side brother!!!!

12. LeeSoFl

LeeSoFl Member

Vehicle:
    08 Nitro
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    I had a chance to get both cars over to the clubhouse today.

Attached Files:

13. XXX RT

XXX RT Guest

Congrats........I

I took delivery of mine today at noo. Welcome to the club. :smileup:

14. iowanitro

iowanitro Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro 4X4
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Stone White
    nice!

What a sweet combo! Congrats on the Purchase!:smileup:

15. Diesel

Diesel Member

Vehicle:
    Orange Crush R/T
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Sunburst Orange
    Just got mine last thursday and after about 300km I'm enjoying it like I thought I would. Just started ordering the add ons yesterday and today. Needs to go back to the dealer first for a couple of minor fit/finish issues but all in all it's been great.

16. Willy the Nitro Man

Willy the Nitro Man New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    Just got my "New" "Used" Nitro!!

It's a 2008 with the 3.7. So far I love it! The gas milage is so-so but the engine seems to have plenty of power, especialy from a smaller motor. From what I read on the 'net, It puts out 210hp. at about 5200rpm, and 235ft.lbs. of torque at around 4200rpm., which is at least fairly respectable, IMHO. And it feels like it is giving me every bit of it, and maybe a bit more. But that is just IMHO. It is very comfortable to drive and has what I want for options:Racing:. I would like to here from some of you about what you all think of the 3.7. It seems to get pretty good reviews from the limited data I have found. Any thoughts, facts, insights, experiences, complaints, compliments, etc., would be very much appreciated.
    So please if you have the time, let me know what you think. I will probably start a thread on this soon. Thanks again for your inpug

17. meder24

meder24 Lighting Guru! NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    You have an R/T with a 3.7 engine? I was not aware that this was ever produced.

18. dhh3

dhh3 The Univalent Radical NOTM Winner! Military

Vehicle:
    2014 Journey Crossroad
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Sunburst Orange
    The 3.7 was in development by AMC when Chrysler bought the company. It was being considered as a replacement for the 4.0 straight 6. It is a Heavy Duty Truck engine, and was never installed in any cars after Chrysler took over. It has a chain drive for the OHC's, not a rubber belt. Chrysler then took the 3.7's basic mechanics, added 2 cylinders and developed the 4.7 V8. Again, a Truck engine, never available in cars. Around 2008, Chrysler modified the 4.7, adding two plugs/cylinder like the Hemi and it put out over 300 HP! I wish that the heads on the 3.7 were converted as well, but by this time, the Pentastar V6 was in full development; the intention of which was to replace all of Chrysler's V6 engines with this new engine. Now, there is a second version, slightly smaller, of the Pentastar V6.

:cool:

19. Willy the Nitro Man

Willy the Nitro Man New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    @ Meder24,
    Sorry for the confusion, mine is a "regular" Nitro. I did not notice that this thread was R/T specific when I posted. That was my first post on this site and I am still trying to find my way around here, as it were. Although I have owned Mopar vehicles since the 70's, this is my first Nitro, again an '08 that I got off the lot because the price was good and freinds sister owns one and said she really liked it and it had been trouble free.

20. Eugene Grant

Eugene Grant New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 dodge nitro RT 4x4
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Black
    You know anything about the RT having electronic issues, like fuel cut off I juts got a nitro and D had a issue it would not go past 25 mph for some reason.... Help plz! Before I return the vehicle I like this suv the sound system is great and it's got a lot of power for a little jeep