Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Dodge Nitro RT Review - My 2 Month Review

14K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  nitrogozoom 
#1 ·
It has been 2 months since I picked up my Inferno Red R/T in Ottawa and I have to say, for the most part, I'm pretty damn happy (knock on wood) with it.

Ride:
The ride is surprisingly smooth and it really suits the way I'd like the vehicle to be. The only thing I've encountered (and probably due to inexperience with this type of suspension), is hitting some rail crossings, really wants to kick the back end out and haven't experienced this in other vehicles. I'm probably jittery after my truck wreck in February, so maybe this is a mental thing...

Engine:
Responsiveness has been great and punchy when required. I love the "throaty" sounding exhaust on the 4.0L Best gas mileage I got was on an 8 hour trip up north where I was 20.9 mpg (couldn't crack the 21). I can't say if it was great or poor, but it is okay with me. The only thing I've encountered with it is when I first start it up in the morning and back out of the driveway, it will feel like it wanted to stall and then wants to "take off" in reverse until I brake to cancel it. Weird, but nothing I can't live with. I'm not part of the recall and haven't had any stalling issues, so that I'm thankful for. I've used the autostick feature a couple of times to "goof around" but can't say that I've used it as part of my normal driving. Not sure if using that would improve my gas mileage at all. I'm also curious if the ESP would affect gas mileage, haven't tried disabling it. I feel like the vehicle will not coast and wants to bog down and curious if the ESP is causing that (my apologies if this has been discussed, but haven't gone deep into the gas mileage threads).

Interior:
I have the R/T leather interior. Some of the seats are cracking on the front edge but that has been there since the day I picked it up and it isn't any worse. Again, minor. I like how the dash is compact and gives you more leg room getting in. Trust me, on my wife's Caliber.. i've racked my shins more than once trying to get in and taken a chunk of skin away. My only complaint is the plastic which is used for the back seats. It is too soft. I loaded a stove into the back of it and when we slid it back using the load n go, it gouged the plastic. I figured it would have taken a bit more abuse but learn to live with my mistakes. As I haven't had a sunroof before, I'm really enjoying it in nice weather.

MyGig:
I was pretty adamant that I wanted the MyGig and I'm really glad I have it. The NAV system is simply fantastic and has helped me find my way to places that normally I would be the lost tourist. The Bluetooth UConnect is a great feature as well. Having the stereo mute out and answering the phone through the car stereo hands free while traveling is a great feature. I can't seem to get the other person's voice loud enough, but not sure if it is my phone or the UConnect, but again, minor issue, just turn up the volume with the wheel controls. I'm really a fan of the Sirius radio and have listened to it considerably. I haven't tried transferring my MP3's, partially due to the great music on Sirius and the fact that I'm re-ripping my CD library, so that will have to go to a follow-up review. I think the bass could be a bit stronger in the sound system, so that was a bit disappointing considering there is "supposed" to be a sub in the back. This is a great unit overall.

Exterior:

This vehicle is a monster to look at and is really getting some attention around town with the 20" tires and the stock rims. I was camping on the weekend and one of my family members heard a fellow camper state "man that is a sweet ride" and I couldn't agree more. I've had the typical "police tail" due to it being a different vehicle. I have had a lot of compliments from people I've never met and it is really sad that Dodge didn't ride the wave of this interest with higher production levels. I'm glad I'm lucky enough to have had one.

Nice To Have(s) for Audio:
I'm patiently waiting for some updates to the MyGig gracenote database, NAV system, etc. As stated on this site, the web links do not work and I hope that they will eventually release something. I still think an IPod interface to this unit would be a great feature, which would allow navigation of the unit and wheel control, etc.. I settled for an aftermarket rear dvd system, but would really like Mopar to release a unit for the Nitro that is built for the sunroof. I'm missing out on some functionality to control the rear unit from the front MyGig screen and split the audio output in the back which would have been handy.

Let's hope the R/T owners in Ottawa are out "loud n proud" in their R/Ts and hopefully see you on the road.

P.S. i've seen another Red Nitro with 20"s, but not sure if it is an SLT or R/T as I've only seen it parked from the side as I couldn't get a glance at the Grill.. i'm disappointed that I'm not the only one in town, but on the other hand, glad that other people dig this vehicle like I do...

R/T fan...

Bryguy

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice write-up Bryguy. On your surging on initial start up, you need to allow the engine rpm to drop below 1000 before you drop it into gear. Just watch your tach. It drops in steps of about 250 rpm fairly fast after start up. If you will do this, you will have no more of that lurching when it drops into gear.:D

#5 ·
Hey Bryguy - great review

I too have had my Nitro R/T in black for almost 2 months now and have just cracked 4000kms. (Can you tell I like driving my Nitro).

I have yet to see another R/T on the road. I'm in Toronto, ON

Ride:
The ride is surprisingly smooth and it really suits the way I'd like the vehicle to be.
-LOVE IT!! after driving and testing many rental cars, this one is for me

Engine:
"throaty" sounding exhaust
- I'm getting a MagnaFlow put in soon, I want more growl, lol.
-Best gas mileage 18.9 city, rarely on the highway. This improved by about 2 mpg after dropping in a K&N Air filter
I feel like the vehicle will not coast and wants to bog down and curious if the ESP is causing that.
-Also noticed this. I'll try without the ESP for a bit and see.
-TipTronic shifting - It's fun, but id rather play with the radio, or the girl in the passenger seat

Interior:
Plastic which is used for the back seats. It is too soft.
-I agree, the material gets scuffed easy. Also wondering why there is carpet on the load n go as well.
-white ceiling material gets dirty too easy
-leather seats seam loose, as I have wrinkles. Looks liek they didnt stretch the leather out

Electronics:
-I didnt go for the My Gig or Uconnect but will look at adding them now that I'm reading good reviews.
-Sirius radio is simply amazing
-Getting a rattle from the back right speaker

Exterior:
This vehicle is a monster to look at and is really getting some attention around town. I have had a lot of compliments
-My 22's just arrived today, putting them on tomorrow (pics to come)
I've had the typical "police tail" due to it being a different vehicle.
-5 tickets so far - 1 speeding and a few parking - Toronto parking authorities are ruthless pricks
-Scuffed the paint on front left bumper in my first week getting used to the dimensions of the vehicle when parking. I'm hoping it can be buffed out

Overall, I couldnt be happier
I love how rare the vehicle is, but would love to see another R/T on the road - she's lonely

#11 · (Edited)
rear dvd

quote:[ I settled for an aftermarket rear dvd system, but would really like Mopar to release a unit for the Nitro that is built for the sunroof. ]
I'm not sure what you're saying, since mine has the stock rear dvd and a sunroof...complete with 2 wireless headphones & remote control for rear passengers, and steering wheel and head unit controls for the driver...

#13 ·
Rico,
Drive over to Mississauga and you will see tons of Nitros. I work in Mississauga but live in Hamilton and I see them on the 407 and 403 daily!

#14 ·
quote:[ I settled for an aftermarket rear dvd system, but would really like Mopar to release a unit for the Nitro that is built for the sunroof. ]
I'm not sure what you're saying, since mine has the stock rear dvd and a sunroof...complete with 2 wireless headphones & remote control for rear passengers, and steering wheel and head unit controls for the driver...
Hey "The BOMB".. no doubt that the units exist, but it seems like you can only get them stock from the factory and are not sold as aftermarket yet. My vehicle didn't come stock with the rear dvd and couldn't order it as aftermarket. Hope that explains it a bit better...

#15 ·
Well I'm really confused on what you guys are saying. Personally you are always much better off getting a decent aftermarket dvd system versus the factory installed or factory add on pieces. I mean you can get a very nice 10" all in one unit that'll work flawlessly with your stock stereo installed for at least 1/2 of what the little 7" oem unit costs.

#17 ·
Just got my new 2007 Nitro R/T. Red with most options except the nav system. So far so good. Even the door locks work on this one which is why my original SXT was replaced under the lemon law. No hassles from Chrysler whatsoever. Drives great in the snow though I did have that yellow light come on when I slide going around a corner. Put it in 4X4 and had no further problems. Winter has struck SE Wisconsin finally. Hopefully with this late 2007 model I won't have some of the problems mentioned here.

Gotta replace that picture!

#18 ·
Electronics:
-I didnt go for the My Gig or Uconnect but will look at adding them now that I'm reading good reviews.
-Sirius radio is simply amazing
-Getting a rattle from the back right speaker

Hey NitroRico
- I had the same problem with the back right speaker, all that was causing it on mine was the handle on the inside of the door was rattling a bit. I put a small piece of doweling tightly where you'd grab the door to close.. No rattle since and no one even notices the dowel. (anything to tighten the handle should work)

And I gots to say, I LOVE my truck:Racing:, the only prob I had was that rattle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.