Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have the base speaker system, with 4 door speakers, and two dash speakers. I think it actually sounds pretty decent, but I have seen the Kicker speaker upgrades 77KICK10 and 77KICK15, offered by Mopar, that people have installed. I've watched some videos, and read some forum posts, where people thought it was a good upgrade.

I'm wondering if this would still be a good upgrade in 2022? Would some other aftermarket speakers be a better, or more financially effective, choice? I still have the stock radio, and haven't decided if I'm going to get an aftermarket one yet.

I was also thinking about having a 10 inch sub installed, but the quote I got on it seemed crazy expensive. So much so, that I'm thinking about trying to install it myself, even though I'm not very confident with car audio installation. The quote was for $850, and I already have the amp, and the box for the sub. So the quote was just for the actual sub speaker, a line out on the stock radio, and installation.

·
Registered
2007 CRD
386 Posts
The main bottleneck in Nitros audio is not the speakers but the head unit. Chinese android head unit with good DSP chip and avarage aftermarket speakers will have great sound without subwoofer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Funny you should mention that. I'm replacing my stock head unit and all speakers with Kickers (although not the model you mention), and adding an amp and a sub. Since the Infinity right rear quarter panel is basically unobtainable, I found a busted up Khaki one in a junkyard, and I'm attempting to plastic weld/frankenstein a black regular panel together with a khaki Infinity panel, add the amp and the sub back there, and replace the speakers and head unit (and add a backup camera).

The sound (to me) is a step above singing to myself. The head unit is stuck on one station (thankfully I like the station), but that's what prompted all the effort.

I'd say the upgrade is worth it. If for nothing else but improved sound. Upgrading the head unit would help with features, not so much with the actual sound. The most financially effective choice is to spend nothing and live with the stock system. haha

·
Registered
134 Posts
Funny you should mention that. I'm replacing my stock head unit and all speakers with Kickers (although not the model you mention), and adding an amp and a sub. Since the Infinity right rear quarter panel is basically unobtainable, I found a busted up Khaki one in a junkyard, and I'm attempting to plastic weld/frankenstein a black regular panel together with a khaki Infinity panel, add the amp and the sub back there, and replace the speakers and head unit (and add a backup camera).

The sound (to me) is a step above singing to myself. The head unit is stuck on one station (thankfully I like the station), but that's what prompted all the effort.

I'd say the upgrade is worth it. If for nothing else but improved sound. Upgrading the head unit would help with features, not so much with the actual sound. The most financially effective choice is to spend nothing and live with the stock system. haha
I hope you can post some photos of your project.

I've been meaning to research this topic. I've researched the various stock head units a bit already and thought I'd at least like to upgrade to an RHR so I can get bluetooth and add a backup camera. I'm not sure what features uconnect adds so hard to say if I care about gaining uconnect.

I've also looked at upgrading my steering wheel to get one with the radio controls. I'm wondering if that won't work without having a uconnect-enabled head unit. Does anyone know?

Thus I haven't looked into aftermarket head units, but one with android auto would be great since I got used to using it in my other car.

An RHR can be had off ebay for $300.
Some posts say you need a security code from a dealer to activate one.
infotainment.com sells the same units for over $1000 more, but claim they've programmed them so they're plug-n-play. I'm wondering if I couldn't program one myself just the same using my OBD software.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hope you can post some photos of your project.

I've been meaning to research this topic. I've researched the various stock head units a bit already and thought I'd at least like to upgrade to an RHR so I can get bluetooth and add a backup camera. I'm not sure what features uconnect adds so hard to say if I care about gaining uconnect.

I've also looked at upgrading my steering wheel to get one with the radio controls. I'm wondering if that won't work without having a uconnect-enabled head unit. Does anyone know?

Thus I haven't looked into aftermarket head units, but one with android auto would be great since I got used to using it in my other car.

An RHR can be had off ebay for $300.
Some posts say you need a security code from a dealer to activate one.
infotainment.com sells the same units for over $1000 more, but claim they've programmed them so they're plug-n-play. I'm wondering if I couldn't program one myself just the same using my OBD software.
To me, no stock head unit would be worth it - I really like having a navigation map from Waze via CarPlay on my iphone and playing pandora or my music library on plex, also through my iphone. The RHR units are okay, but OEM/factory head units never seem to have the features that the aftermarket world is able to incorporate. My neighbor did drop the $1,000 for a unit from infotainment.com, and had absolutely no issues installing it. I don't know if the programming is done through the OBD port, or some sort of flash to the unit itself.

I have some in progress pictures of the frankenstein process so far, and once I'm done, I'll post all the pictures. I suspect it will be at least another month, as I'm going out of town Monday for work, and probably won't be back until Sunday (13 days later). I don't foresee any issues with the door speaker or head unit - it's all about the amp and sub. I'm going to retrofit a kicker 8" sub into the factory enclosure, so the only hurdle is the mounting points for that enclosure. In the Infinity system, there are threaded studs welded to the body to support it. I may do something similar to retrofit mine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The place I got the sub install quote from, also gave some other options, like a head unit, speakers, and a 4 channel amp to run the speakers, and the sub.

They knew I wasn't looking for real high end stuff, so they quoted this Jensen head unit, which I'm considering getting. It's the Jensen CAR710, going for $250 at Crutchfield. It gets pretty good reviews. If I get an aftermarket head unit, then they wouldn't have to make a line out on the stock radio for the sub.

Product Communication Device Gadget Font Audio equipment

Electrical wiring Electronic instrument Cable Gadget Circuit component

·
Registered
134 Posts
Is anyone aware of what features the stock RHR head unit exposes via uconnect?
My other car is a 2017 dodge, and on that the uconnect lets you control just about everything--it's got loads of features.
Can aftermarket head units make use of steering wheel controls (if present) ?
Can any of them access whatever features uconnect would expose same as the RHR?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I found what seems to be the 2011 nitro uconnect manual.
It doesn't seem to add any compelling features that couldn't be had by an aftermarket unit.
It has an ancient nav system (google maps would be much better), adds siriusxm, and looks like it adds some controls for the hvac--which already exist as knobs on my console so I don't need them in my head unit.

So, I guess my remaining question is if I upgrade my steering wheel to have radio controls, could an after market head unit make use of them?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is anyone aware of what features the stock RHR head unit exposes via uconnect?
My other car is a 2017 dodge, and on that the uconnect lets you control just about everything--it's got loads of features.
Can aftermarket head units make use of steering wheel controls (if present) ?
Can any of them access whatever features uconnect would expose same as the RHR?
Pretty sure most aftermarket head units can make use of steering wheel controls. The cheap Jensen I was quoted can do it, but I don't have steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So, I guess my remaining question is if I upgrade my steering wheel to have radio controls, could an after market head unit make use of them?
I was wondering this too. I was thinking about trying to find a decent leather wrapped steering wheel, to replace my moderately worn non leather wrapped one. And I think all of the leather wrapped steering wheels have audio, and EVIC, controls. I was wondering if I could, at least, make use of the audio controls? I think I was reading that you could even get an EVIC cluster, and reprogram your non-EVIC vehicle to utilize it, but I'm not looking to do all that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fr
From my research,you can’t add a steering wheel with controls to replace a steering wheel without controls. I haven’t tested this myself, but I suspect you might be able to do just that.
It seems there are enough examples where lots of stuff is prewired, so a wheel with steering wheel controls might just be plug (bolt) and play, but beware it might not be that simple.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts