Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 22 yr old has a 2011 Dodge Nitro. Recently her electronic locks stopped working. We checked the fuse (Fuse M38) and it was blown. Went to put a new on in, and it immediate blew. NO BUENO!

I pulled the switch module from the driver's door and went to put another fuse it, it arcs to beat hell and gets pretty warm but doesn't actually blow the fuse. Pull it out and the leads are charred and show obvious signs of arcing.

So from there, I'm not sure where to start investigating. She wants to dump the car which is in beautiful shape except for this issue and the blower motor squealing which I'll address after I fix this.

Any pro tips?

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Sorry but, Whatever you do Do Not put another fuse in Fuse M38, this could cause some serious damage.
we will find some info on this issue, hold tight.

in the mean time can you just check if the Rear and front washers are working, and maybe let us know if there is anything else electrical not working

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Totally understood. I pulled the fuse when it arc'd. I have a background in electronics. I'll check the washers but with the switch connected, nothing else electrical has an issue that I've found. Windows work, defroster, blower, etc. Didn't check washer though.

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to more info from you. Thanks so much.

-=Rob=-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I stand corrected on the year. MFG date of 03/2008. I should have looked instead of listening to my non technical daughter. Rookie mistake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on this for any future readers of this thread. This is actually a common problem.

Troubleshooting steps
Lift TIPM (Fuse box for us old guys) and remove brown connector and grey connector
Put new fuse in
If fuse still blows (or arcs in my case), TIPM is bad. If fuse does not blow, TIPM is likely fine and further troubleshooting of wiring and components must be performed.

In my case it was the TIPM. While its not recommended to use one from a salvaged vehicle, the almighty dollar won the argument. Car is up and running for $100.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
Glad to hear you got it sorted. Where did you find a TIPM for $100? That is a great price!
Yes, 99.9% of the time with that fuse popping, it is an internal short in the TIPM.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
1 Posts
Totally understood. I pulled the fuse when it arc'd. I have a background in electronics. I'll check the washers but with the switch connected, nothing else electrical has an issue that I've found. Windows work, defroster, blower, etc. Didn't check washer though.

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to more info from you. Thanks so much.

-=Rob=-
My 2007 had a similar issue, it turned out to be the timp unit

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to hear you got it sorted. Where did you find a TIPM for $100? That is a great price!
Yes, 99.9% of the time with that fuse popping, it is an internal short in the TIPM.
We live in a small town but another small town an hour away had one from a totaled Jeep Liberty that hardly had any miles on it. Got hit on the passengers side and bent the wheel in under the car. I'm leery about taking stuff from an accident car, but in this case I felt OK with it.

Bonus that it's my father-in-law's home town and he has Alzheimer's, so I brought him along to talk about the good old days. Always perks him up!

-=Rob=-

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
Good to know. We now have confirmation from 2 users that an 08+ Libby TIPM will work in a 3.7 Nitro.

Reactions: Nitrogen
1 - 9 of 9 Posts