Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, ok so yesterday i went to get in the nitro, it was very cold and the car was white with ice, so i blipped the button to unlock, all the buttons popped up and i tried to open the drivers door, but with no joy, ahhhh frozen shut, i thought, so round to the passenger side and it opened no problem,
in i got, climbed over to the drivers seat (not an easy task in a nitro) and tried the door from inside, with a pull of the handle and i bang on the inside of the door, but still nothing.
so i drove the car to work, with the heaters on full for about half an hour, got there and still stuck shut, climbed over to the passenger side to get out, and left the car sitting in the winter sun all day,when i finished work i thought, ok it will open, but guess what :i_rolleyes: still stuck solid.
ok, so what now, i put the car in a heated garage over night, tried it today, and still nothing.
so a phone call to dodge, and a few hours later they have the car.
but they are not looking at it till tomorrow, but the guy in the office did say that the dead lock can jam on...... and there was a procedure to get it off without stripping the door down :thk:

does or has anyone else heard of this?????
sorry for the long post but i was bored and wanted a good old rant :D

i will keep you all updated when i get it back...
i might even find out what the procedure he was talking about is :confused:

oh i did also ask them to look at a misting up front fog light, and the hand brake gaiter is burst ( so we will see what they say about that too)
oh and the electric cooling fan has a mind of its own, it comes on and off for no reason.

cheers
scott

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Rant away, Scott, that's what we're here for! :) I hope they find a simple solution, and there probably is one. This information will definitely be useful to others in the future.

I know several members have had those leather "boots" rip open. If you are under warranty, that will probably be replaced.

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Humm, new one to me....
Looking forward to the "fix".

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
well that really stinks. hope it gets fixed and back to normal soon. I wear skirts and heels to work so all that climbing ina nd over would have never worked for me....lol

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well that really stinks. hope it gets fixed and back to normal soon. I wear skirts and heels to work so all that climbing ina nd over would have never worked for me....lol
:chuckle: well if it ever happens yo you, you better take your heels of before climbing over :chuckle: cant have you sticking holes in the seats :SHOCKED:

i got an update from them today,
all they said was that there are parts on order, ermmm a door lock, a door trim and another piece of trim that they also had to break to get access to the door,
(glad its still under warranty) :)
so the parts are on order along with a new fog light, and they have to get permission from dodge to replace the hand brake gaiter, (sent pictures away to them) but did say that it should not be a problem.

so when i find out what went wrong i will let you all know.

should get it back on Friday, i hope so, i'm missing it, and it sure beats my works van.

cheers
scott

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:smileup: at last, i got my car back from the garage tonight, it seems that the lock mech in the drivers door gave up the ghost,
they had to replace the lock mech, drivers door panel and little bit of kick trim,
so not an easy fix, but boy am i glad it was still under warranty :)
they also replaced one of my front fog lights with no questions asked :smileup: (not like my local Dodge dealer)
and have told me that they will l order the centre consol as soon as they get the go ahead ( and did add that that should be early next week)

i questioned them as to what the procedure was that they talked about when i dropped the car off to them. i was told that when a door does not open from either side (in or out) that it is quite common for the dead lock to stick on,

so here goes... (hope this info is correct, and helps someone out in the future)

1. get into the car and start it up.
2. put down the drivers window
3. switch the car off and remove the key
4. get out and lock the car
5. wait 1 min
6. put your arm in the open window and wave it around (to set the alarm off)
7. press the unlock button on the key

i was told that if there are any deadlocks stuck on, then this procedure should fix them :confused:

dont know if there is any truth in it, or the guy behind the desk just liked talking

cheers
scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have woke up this morning to find I have exactly the same problem as you scott. It was cold over night in the northeast of england and frosty when I woke up. When Ive attempted to open the drivers door it wont open. Ive jumped into the drivers seat via the passenger door and tried opening from the inside and still no joy. All other doors are fine, seems to be a problem with the lock mechanism. I tried what you suggested, setting the alarm off but still no joy. I only bought the vehicle 4 month ago and got a 1 year warrenty from the mill volvo garage where i bought it from so hopefully i'll be covered!!!

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
It sounds to me that the technician did not know how to properly remove the inside door panel!

:smiledown: :smiledown:

Thanks for the steps to perform the fix!

:rep:

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
I have woke up this morning to find I have exactly the same problem as you scott. It was cold over night in the northeast of england and frosty when I woke up. When Ive attempted to open the drivers door it wont open. Ive jumped into the drivers seat via the passenger door and tried opening from the inside and still no joy. All other doors are fine, seems to be a problem with the lock mechanism. I tried what you suggested, setting the alarm off but still no joy. I only bought the vehicle 4 month ago and got a 1 year warrenty from the mill volvo garage where i bought it from so hopefully i'll be covered!!!
Welcome to the forum beechy. :wave:
Hope they honor the warranty. Let us know how you get along with this. :smileup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I left my Dodge with Mill Volvo in the garage overnight so they could assess and see if it was covered under warrenty. They said that the dead lock had indeed failed and that it was covered under the warrenty. Good job Mill Volvo gave me a great warrenty for 12month even on second hand cars.

The bad news was that the part had to be ordered from Dodge. Dodge had no parts available and have to get it sent from italy, so I'm still currently waiting for the part which should be in the UK early next week.

I spoke to the mechanic who said he had a nightmare of a job as he had to remove the drivers seat etc to get a look at the door. He did manage to free the lock by disconnecting something from the battery but it was a fiddly job.

I have since been driving the car whilst waiting for the part to arrive. The mechanic said that the door may work fine until the part arrives or it might fail within a day, he couldn't predict. Well I got two weeks out of it! Last night it was -6 and when I tried to get in the door this morning the dead lock had failed again. The sooner I get it fixed the better. Hopefully I'll not have any more issues once the lock is replaced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine has just started showing the same symptoms. Unlocked the vehicle via the key fob, but couldn’t open the passenger’s door (UK vehicle, so depending where you live it’s also the driver’s door!).

Sat inside and used the locking button on the door, all the locks popped up and down, but couldn’t open the door either way by using the door handle (internal and external).

Mind you, we have has some cold nights, so perhaps that is effecting it?

Did you get it fixed and was it expensive?

·
Registered
2 Posts
dodge 08

Hi guys, ok so yesterday i went to get in the nitro, it was very cold and the car was white with ice, so i blipped the button to unlock, all the buttons popped up and i tried to open the drivers door, but with no joy, ahhhh frozen shut, i thought, so round to the passenger side and it opened no problem,
in i got, climbed over to the drivers seat (not an easy task in a nitro) and tried the door from inside, with a pull of the handle and i bang on the inside of the door, but still nothing.
so i drove the car to work, with the heaters on full for about half an hour, got there and still stuck shut, climbed over to the passenger side to get out, and left the car sitting in the winter sun all day,when i finished work i thought, ok it will open, but guess what :i_rolleyes: still stuck solid.
ok, so what now, i put the car in a heated garage over night, tried it today, and still nothing.
so a phone call to dodge, and a few hours later they have the car.
but they are not looking at it till tomorrow, but the guy in the office did say that the dead lock can jam on...... and there was a procedure to get it off without stripping the door down :thk:

does or has anyone else heard of this?????
sorry for the long post but i was bored and wanted a good old rant :D

i will keep you all updated when i get it back...
i might even find out what the procedure he was talking about is :confused:

oh i did also ask them to look at a misting up front fog light, and the hand brake gaiter is burst ( so we will see what they say about that too)
oh and the electric cooling fan has a mind of its own, it comes on and off for no reason.

cheers
scott
hi mine just done exact the same have you had any luck with problem yet

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
hi I what the prob was have same prob ...did you manage to find out what it iscausing the prob
Welcome to the forum tru4711. :wave:
When you have a chance, head over to the
Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Post 7 has the resolution to the OP problem. Post 11 also has a resolution.

·
Registered
238 Posts
hi I what the prob was have same prob ...did you manage to find out what it iscausing the prob
mines done the same a few weeks ago and was busy working on it and disconnected the battery to remove the front seat to remove the door panel (because disconnecting wiring connections under the seat) after a while I reconnected the battery to put the window up and voila the f****** door opened:mad: so try disconnecting the battery for a while then try it, hope it works for you as the removal of the inner door panel isn't easy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same as others cold morning door wouldn't open took it to my local mechanic he got some oil to lock messed with it and it opened then worked for a fortnight then failed agian its been a week and still wont open I will try alarm as bluescott explained and let you know. Any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there All
This door problem is not caused by cold weather, its bad quality parts. Both my front doors have suffered this problem. And it was not cold weather either time. I love my dodge but they are not the best built. Its a major issue to repair and cost a fortune in labour time, i think this should be a factory recall on all the nitro,s

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Hi there All
This door problem is not caused by cold weather, its bad quality parts. Both my front doors have suffered this problem. And it was not cold weather either time. I love my dodge but they are not the best built. Its a major issue to repair and cost a fortune in labour time, i think this should be a factory recall on all the nitro,s
Welcome to the forum Terence Gross.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Glad we don't have the double lock feature here in the states. Hope you get things back to normal soon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi there All
Sorry to revive the thread, but our '09 Nitro (actually built in 2007!) is having the same sort of issues.

It started with the rear passenger door lock (RHD model) which is intermittent in operation.

Now (today) the drivers door lock seems to have stopped working too.

Oh, we have also endured a faulty blower, but a resistor sorted that. Well, I say 'sorted', but replacing fixed it first time, then it failed, then I fitted a new resistor (all fine) and then the entire panel stopped working (pulled fuses and it majically came bcak to life).

I have a strong suspicion it's down to the TIPM. I DETEST integrted electronics, as one problem can affect a variety of systems.

Anyway - to the point, Terence - do you know what it was that the dealer replaced and has it fixed the issues?

Thanks
Chris

1 - 20 of 76 Posts