Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I am sure there is a logical explanation - but I am not able to figure it out. What would make what seems to be "quasi-universal" experience which TSB's address, "quasi-universal" in the first place? :confused:

For instance: My SLT 4X4 seems to be doing fine in the shifting gears department, but I am at a heightened alert with the TSB. Am I just waiting for the inevitable? If not, what about this type of issue makes this an issue but not universal? I hope I am making myself clear.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
202 Posts
OK - why would only some vehicles present the situation - what factors go into that?
I'm sure the build date is the biggest factor, but there are too many variables there to apply blanket statement for all TSBs. Take your transmission TSB example. It only applies to vehicles built before a certain date. That makes sense, as the software version was not available until that date, and was applied at the factory for any vehicles built after that date. Now for the more hypothetical side of this issue.. Let's say that this software update fixes the problem completely for 80% of the vehicles it was applied to. That means that 20% of the vehicles the update was applied to still has some sort of the initial problem remaining. It seems that a few people have been told that a torque converter replacement is in order, so let's say that internally, DCX found that at some point slightly different torque converter parts were used for whatever reason on certain dates. Perhaps that would account for the remaining 20% of the vehicles with the issue.

I guess what I'm saying is that the factors could range from a design change on a part, to a faulty part, to an uncalibrated tool, to a hungover guy on the line, and about a million other little things that will either affect a whole slew of vehicles, or just yours. DCX probably won't ever say what the exact root cause of any given problem was other than what was disclosed in their TSBs. And while I'm sure rigorous testing occurs with any of these repair recommendations, it would be unfeasible to expect them save a spec vehicle from each shift on each day for the purpose of testing out every possible scenario that came off the line.

Is that kinda what you're looking for? :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure the build date is the biggest factor, but there are too many variables there to apply blanket statement for all TSBs. Take your transmission TSB example. It only applies to vehicles built before a certain date. That makes sense, as the software version was not available until that date, and was applied at the factory for any vehicles built after that date. Now for the more hypothetical side of this issue.. Let's say that this software update fixes the problem completely for 80% of the vehicles it was applied to. That means that 20% of the vehicles the update was applied to still has some sort of the initial problem remaining. It seems that a few people have been told that a torque converter replacement is in order, so let's say that internally, DCX found that at some point slightly different torque converter parts were used for whatever reason on certain dates. Perhaps that would account for the remaining 20% of the vehicles with the issue.

I guess what I'm saying is that the factors could range from a design change on a part, to a faulty part, to an uncalibrated tool, to a hungover guy on the line, and about a million other little things that will either affect a whole slew of vehicles, or just yours. DCX probably won't ever say what the exact root cause of any given problem was other than what was disclosed in their TSBs. And while I'm sure rigorous testing occurs with any of these repair recommendations, it would be unfeasible to expect them save a spec vehicle from each shift on each day for the purpose of testing out every possible scenario that came off the line.

Is that kinda what you're looking for? :)
YES, thanks - but mine was built in October and is not presenting the transmission issue - is this a ticking bomb, or did I luck out?

·
Registered
202 Posts
YES, thanks - but mine was built in October and is not presenting the transmission issue - is this a ticking bomb, or did I luck out?
You're probably fine. Of course, only time will tell... Remember, the other key thing about a TSB is that it's not supposed to be performed unless the vehicle is showing some of the symptoms. By itself that says not all of the vehicles that were built in the specific date range could exhibit the problem. I'd say don't worry about it unless it starts behaving differently.

·
Registered
790 Posts
That trans shifting TSB has me paying attention to things too. There has been snow on the road here for over 2 weeks & the Traction Control is getting a workout. Part of it's functionality is to reduce power to the axle & redistribute power to the wheel(s) that is slipping. So if you floor it while the Traction Control light is on, then you'll feel a delay, then a surge as the tires hook up. Could be really decieving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.