Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Heat 2WD 81k miles

Tranny issues are possibility

Been having electrical problems, so I replaced the battery because of corrosion hoping it was electrical.

Main issue - Everything shifts fine, but when I shift into drive and press my foot on the gas it goes to about 5-10mph then jerks and stops. Everything stays in gear, but when I press the gas to continue my journey after the jerk it doesn’t go any further. Almost as if the Emergency brake is engaged. Not sure what the issue is. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks NitroJunkies!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply! Engine is the 3.7 AT.

It’s almost as if there is something lodged in the brakes. When it stops and I rev the engine the wheels want to turn, but seems as if something is holding it back.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
The conductor plate issues have been with the Nag1, 4.0 engine/ trany, not to many issues with the 42RLE you have behind the 3.7.
But that does not mean the trany shift solenoids are working as they should.
At the speed this occurs is when the trany would try to shift from 1st to 2nd.
Have you been loosing trany fluid? Do you see any pink/red oil under the rig?
Unfortunately there is no easy way to check the trany fluid level accurately, DIY.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s happening literally when I shift into drive and start to roll forward. I get maybe 12-24” before the vehicle jerks foward and I’m stuck in D with no where to go. Everything works perfectly fine when I shift into reverse.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
OK, What happens when you put it in "2", just past "D".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reverse is perfectly fine. 2 and 1 result in the same thing as D. No codes displayed, no check engine light, no ABS light, not a thing out of the ordinary happening on the dash.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
Time to get dirty; Brakes, parking pawl not releasing/popping back in(not easy to check, its internal), other internal trany problems, trany fluid level, check the drive lines are clear, and CVs + U joints are OK.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was afraid you would say that. Not good! Will be getting a tow tomorrow. Thank you so much for your help! You’ve been awesome! Looking foward to being a part of this forum! Thanks again!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update: I was able to get rig out of garage with a little revving. Something broke loose and I realized that the rear passenger wheel is the only wheel locking up and skidding. Tow truck will be here in about 30 minutes to take it to a local shop. Will keep you posted.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'm curious to hear what they find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: Caliper on passenger rear was worn down all the way and locked up. Replacing brakes, rotors, and calipers. He quoted about $475, should be finished Wednesday morning. Simple fix! Thanks again for your help!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,742 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us.
Wow, who would have thought a worn out brake pad would cause a caliper to lock up. Do you know if the caliper piston popped out of the sleeve?
Not a bad price for all they are doing either...

Got a Pic of your ride?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts