Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I accelerate my engine sounds louder than normal. The rpm's do not go up more than normal. The car is not over heating. I took it on the highway to a town an hour away and it ran ok. I did recently have the oil changed. The oil is still new and full. Air filter is new. The location where the fresh air duct goes into the lower part of the air box was not connect correctly so I put it back together however, it still is louder than normal.
Basically the car engine sounds like its stuck in a lower gear, engine loud, not shifting but it is.

Any suggestions?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Javier. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Louder, as in how? Exhaust noise, intake air noise, valve lifter tick noise?

Reactions: Javier and Nitrogen

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like the intake, at least I think. Its coming from the engine area. I hear it while in the vehicle driving.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,142 Posts
Check to be sure they did not remove your air filter for some reason.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,142 Posts
Is the sound like air sucking or more throaty ?
Can you post a Vid to youtube and link it back hear so we can hear what you hear?

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its makes the sound like you're at the top of first gear and need to shift, only it doesnt need to shift. The rpm's are where they need to be. It only makes the sound while moving, after getting it up to 20 - 30 mph or faster. I've traveled with it like this an hour up to a location and an hour back and nothing happened. It still worked fine. I did get the oil changed right before th8s started happening at Walmart. The fresh air intake tube wasn't connected to the air intake so I reconnected that bit it still didn't do anything. Someone suggested that the manifold might be stuck open and I may have to clean it or possibly replace it.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,142 Posts
What engine?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,142 Posts
4.0 V6 or the 3.7 V6?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,142 Posts
Thanks. Same as what I have. I can't think of anything that would cause the increase in noise other then, an air leak somewhere in the intake tubes. Do you still have the big square baffle on the throttle body?
I know when I eliminated mine, it made the rig much more throaty

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No. Its still on there. Although eventually I'd like to get a cool air intake added on but I'm a simple man when it comes to installing things such as that. I'd probably muck up something trying to install it myself. Lol

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,142 Posts
Hit up a junk yard and grab a 3.7 intake tube from a 07 Liberty or an 09+ Liberty or Nitro. That baffle is killing your mileage.
Is it possible the one you have on there is not sealing or is cracked?
Info on replacing it can be found here.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,142 Posts
I'm at a loss at this point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was told it may be the throttle body and that either it may be sticking open and needs cleaning OR replaced. Anyone else had this problem?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,142 Posts
If the TB was sticking your rpms would hang.

Reactions: Nitrogen
1 - 20 of 26 Posts