Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
My car won't start after 10-days of no drive. So I called for help and the mechanic came and said the battery (15 month old) needs to be replaced. He replaced the battery, I tried to start the engine and it was ok. He then tried to unplug the negative terminal of the battery then the engine stopped. He then said the alternator has a problem. He said the engine should not stop even if the negative of the battery is disconnected. He said I should get the alternator checked or my new battery will not last long. Should I really get the alternator checked? I've been driving with the new battery for 3 days and all seems ok.. Thanks for any comments / answers.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,219 Posts
Welcome to the forum Joko.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like

The Nitro actually uses a generator not an alternator.
The computers will shut the rig down thinking there is a problem with the charging system when you disco the Neg cable.

If your headlights start to get dim when driving, then you have a charging issue. Till then I would not worry to much about it.
However, most auto parts stores will test your charging system for free. You can have it done for peace of mind, if nothing else... ;)

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,516 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Good to have you here. Enjoy!

BTW... Post a pic of your Nitro when you can!:cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi.
My car won't start after 10-days of no drive. So I called for help and the mechanic came and said the battery (15 month old) needs to be replaced. He replaced the battery, I tried to start the engine and it was ok. He then tried to unplug the negative terminal of the battery then the engine stopped. He then said the alternator has a problem. He said the engine should not stop even if the negative of the battery is disconnected. He said I should get the alternator checked or my new battery will not last long. Should I really get the alternator checked? I've been driving with the new battery for 3 days and all seems ok.. Thanks for any comments / answers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's an old school trick. Generally people disconnected the positive side, while car was still running; if the car kept idling, then this showed the alternator was good.

My understanding is that this isn't done anymore. If I was out in a rural area and maybe the local mechanic was closed for the day; get it started, then turn on the headlights high beam. If the alternator/generator is bad, the car will quit in a short period, since battery is not being charged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts