Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a late start getting my license, and my vehicle (30 years old) got a 2007 Nitro SXT, love it and really want to keep it for the next 3-5 years, problem is I'm paranoid about the Transmission and Engine, pretty much anything engine related costs $$$$ to fix, same if I had to buy a used Transmission and both of those instances would leave me without a vehicle for several month's!!

I know anything can fail/break at anytime, but I was curious how reliable are the engine and transmission on the 07 Nitro's? I have almost 117k on mine (unless it got replaced by a previous owner) I'd really like to get another 30k from it, long enough to save for a newer vehicle.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Preventative maintenance is the key to longevity.
3.7? If yes then plugs every 30K miles, Do not use Platinum or Iridium plugs in the 3.7! Use only ZFR6F-11G plugs, NGK is OEM brand and what I use.
Trany oil, Diff s& X-fer case, and engine oil, see the owners manual for schedule.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Also, think about what has already been done in maintenance. If you don't know if the thermostat has been replaced, you might want to go ahead and do that now. Hopefully the wheel bearings and water pump have already been replaced. Then there's the transmission filter and oil change which can be a few hundred. Good luck, that 3.7L can run a long time if it's taken care of and you avoid overheating it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The 3.7ltr has a great reputation. Chrysler has used it for several of it's vehicles including the Nitro, Liberty and Jeep Wrangler. As Scar stated, it's about taking care of it and doing PM's as required. I've done oil & filter every 5k miles, tranny fluid & filter at 100k, NGK Spark Plugs every 30k and I just turned 180k on mine. I've had zero issues with my engine or transmission.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 3.7ltr has a great reputation. Chrysler has used it for several of it's vehicles including the Nitro, Liberty and Jeep Wrangler. As Scar stated, it's about taking care of it and doing PM's as required. I've done oil & filter every 5k miles, tranny fluid & filter at 100k, NGK Spark Plugs every 30k and I just turned 180k on mine. I've had zero issues with my engine or transmission.
How many miles do you have on it now I have some one trying to sell me a nitro for 4K but it’s at 200k miles the engine and everything says okay

·
Registered
2 Posts
How many miles do you have on it now I have ssome one trying to sell me a nitro for 4K but it’s at 200k miles the engine and everything says t
Hello there names Edgar. I got a 2011 3.7 rwd automatic with 180k Nevada truck brought to California, you should have real good test drive before purchasing. I did a short test drive to get a feel of the motor, suspension, overall anything you want good on a car to be good, but the truck started to jerk after a few days im thinking its transmission due to the fact that on drive it won't go past 2nd gear. Someones suggested limp mode. I've been recommended a solenoid also but didn't due anything. If anyone can point me to a transmission place I'd rather get a rebuilt tran.
Overall the truck is great the engine sounds feel healthy like it will last a long time. I've also got my tires 235 55 17 I wanted to sit a bit lower since I'm only on City streets. Looks good to me.

About the the drive the first time it did that to me was out of nowhere on the freeway as I wanted to go passed 40mph its started to bog as if shut off so I gave it gas and it just overevved for like 3secs. But then it idled fine and I was able to drive at 30mph normally. Until I got home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts