Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing the head gaskets on my nitro and to reach the heads I had to unbolt the computer, disconnect most of the wiring harness and push it off to the side. I have been able to reconnect all the sensors and the one black wire to the computer BUT... there is a brown wire splitting off from the engine wiring harness near the thermostat housing that has a small black box on it with a metal ring hanging off. I looked up the part number and its part of the ignition system, its an "igniter." I thought maybe it supposed to be ground to the engine so I bolted it to the metal intake part under the big black intake and when I connect the battery leads the car honks and the leads spark which I'm sure means where I put it is no bueno. I'm a little apprehensive about connecting it anywhere because the sparks and honk probably mean I've done some damage somewhere and I don't want to cause anymore. Any ideas where the ignitor is supposed to go?

My Car:
Dodge Nitro 4.0L v6 R/T
240,000 miles
automatic transmission

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
DO NOT connect the battery if you are not sure, please post a photo of the wire and we will tell you where it goes

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
is the wire Brown / White stripe.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
i think what you did was correct, connect the metal tab to a ground point on the Right side of the engine

Always connect the Positive battery cable first, Then the Negative battery cable last Very Important.
it is normal the horn will give a short honk. also as you connect the Negative battery lead it may give a SMALL spark.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
5149061AA is the ignition capacitor for the 4.0.
I concur with what Nitrogen says above. SM shows it mounts on the right side, outboard and between #3 and #5 coil packs.

BTW;
Welcome to the forum. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I disconnected the wire from the engine and made sure it was isolated and I had the car honk when I connected the battery SOOOOOO its probably fine I'll report back when I start the car.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Hi Myke didn't realise you where a new member, Welcome.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
So I disconnected the wire from the engine and made sure it was isolated and I had the car honk when I connected the battery SOOOOOO its probably fine I'll report back when I start the car.
Yep, My 07 always honks when I connect the Neg battery cable too.
Scared me the first couple of times. I also have to remember not to connect it late at night! :rolleyes: My poor neighbors...LOL

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Yes my 07 honks when reconnecting. If it does not I disconnect and reconnect it again , honks , all is fine.

Reactions: Scar0
1 - 12 of 12 Posts