Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I went to home depot to have them make a copy of my Dodge Nitro key, but was told that the machine couldn't scan the key. Will I have to to go through a dealer or should I try somewhere else?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,301 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scar, I only have one key and that's why I want a spare. So a locksmith is the best choice?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,301 Posts
Oh ya! My father in law and I had 2 keys cut and programmed into his Ram P/U for $65 total out the door. We already had the keys via E-bay.
Dealer wanted $110 each to program in the keys.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This weekend I went to home depot to have them make a copy of my Dodge Nitro key, but was told that the machine couldn't scan the key. Will I have to to go through a dealer or should I try somewhere else?
They've told me the same. I bought my car used and it only came with one key. I've read online somewhere that folks order a fob from eBay and then have it cut at Home Depot and then you'd have to get it programmed at the dealership because it takes two keys to program one yourself? I'm not entirely sure about the process but it could possible save you some $.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh ya! My father in law and I had 2 keys cut and programmed into his Ram P/U for $65 total out the door. We already had the keys via E-bay.
Dealer wanted $110 each to program in the keys.
So a locksmith can cut and program a key for Nitro's? (Assuming we provide the uncut keys)

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,301 Posts
So a locksmith can cut and program a key for Nitro's? (Assuming we provide the uncut keys)
Yep, that is exactly what we did with my father in law's 08 RAM.
They do say they can not guarantee it will work, if they do not sell it. But we had no issues at all.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Reputable lock smiths. not just someone that only has KEY CUTTTERS.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Programming requires an ECM code. I paid $25 to get the code. Now that I have it, I can get keys programmed without the extra charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Programming requires an ECM code. I paid $25 to get the code. Now that I have it, I can get keys programmed without the extra charge.
Hi there, i am happy to buy the code of you, I have only one key and the other got damaged by a key cutter while changing the battery of my key fob. I live in Australia and asked the dealer ship to for a replacement key and it would cost me $500 for a key replacement, any help greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Hello, sorry I can’t help. Each ECM has a different four number pin. The pin is used to program new keys to ECM functions. A locksmith can order/obtain the pin. A locksmith charged a small fee to get it. Once they had it, they made me an extra key. Once I had two, I added two more as extras.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts