Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Factory tow package

6K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Devil Dog 
#1 ·
I have my R/T on order, stuck in bg, but I keep wondering about the tow package. Is there any advantage to including it, even if you would probably never have to tow anything? I was thinking about it maybe being a plus for the air conditioning; and, maybe cool to put something in the receiver for looks.
I assume the electric fan is still included with the viscous/clutch fan? In a previous car, the clutch fan seemed to be a high maintenance item.
Thanks for all your help.:wavey:

#2 ·
My two cents....

I think the factory Tow Package comes with an Heavy duty tranny cooler and a bigger Power steering cooler.

When I "wheeled and dealed" on my nitro, I had the dealer put on the Tow Receiver. I also had them install an external transmission cooler in front of the radiator....to make up for "the factory hitch install". In my opinion this would work better than the internal cooler that they install.

Long story short. The factory hitch would beef up a couple of your components ie: internal tranny cooler, and power steering cooler, and potentially strenghten the rear end of the vehicle.

#5 ·
I was backing into a parking spot at school a few weeks ago and mis-judged my distance to a sign post and tapped it. I fully expected to have a nice scratch in the bumper when I got out to inspect, but instead, I had hit it with part of the hitch that extends slightly from the bumper. How's that for an advantage?

#7 ·
I was backing into a parking spot at school a few weeks ago and mis-judged my distance to a sign post and tapped it. I fully expected to have a nice scratch in the bumper when I got out to inspect, but instead, I had hit it with part of the hitch that extends slightly from the bumper. How's that for an advantage?

thats why i ordered the mopar back up sensor kit (but its still not doing me any good as i have not installed it yet) D'OHH someday it will get warm here:SHOCKED:

#9 ·
Another advantage....

:cool: F45...one good advantage that has not been brought up....

They make some nice 1-2 bicycle racks that slip into a hitch receiver. Some also tilt away from the vehicle so you can get access to the rear of the vehicle without removing the rack, and they can be locked in place.

Get it now....:wave:

#12 ·
On the resale value part:

Someone had told me that the resale value might actually go down because of a perceived 'extra usage/wear & tear'. <shrug> don't know if I buy into that but thought I'd mention it.

Besides, I'd order one any ways. Gives me a reason to buy something I need to tow :p

#13 ·
On the resale value part:

Someone had told me that the resale value might actually go down because of a perceived 'extra usage/wear & tear'. <shrug> don't know if I buy into that but thought I'd mention it.

Besides, I'd order one any ways. Gives me a reason to buy something I need to tow :p
Guess that depends on your buyer when you go to sell it. If the guy has toys to tow, he needs the tow package, and theres something to be said for not having to retrofit everything on the rig.

#14 ·

TOYS! Gotta Have Toys!

This subject is something I think the dealers are starting to figure out (Here Anyway).

On today's Full size Trucks and SUV's they are all pre-wired for trailer lights/brakes, and the factory "Tow Package" for them is typically only a Hitch and Wiring harness, so needless to say, it's something you can do yourself later if you find you need the hitch, and usually for cheaper than getting the 'tow package'.

However, with the Nitro as mentioned, its not just a matter of adding a hitch.

I guess the real question comes down to, Do you need the additional/larger coolers to tow with the nitro? I have to assume that if the Manufacturer is including them in the Tow package, there is a reason for it. My Guess is, That if you are towing 3,500 lbs or less, you probably don't need the coolers, but to hit that 5,000 lb towing capacity, your gonna need em.

The way I look at it is, It will NEVER hurt to have more cooling for your power train, all it can do is help, and reduce wear.

-TheChad

#16 ·
I towed my ATV trailer the other day with only one 600 lb ATV on it tied down in front of the axle. So the tongue weight had to be a LOT more than when there is a 2nd ATV tied down behind the axle, which would balance the trailer. I noticed quite a bit more road noise with 1 ATV, than I do with 2. I suspect this is due to the tongue weight. As I recall, these Nitros come with Class III hitches on them, which is rated for 500 lbs of tongue weight. Theres a good chance I had more than 500 lbs at the tongue with a 600 lb quad sitting between the tongue & the trailer axle.
How about you? Any idea how much your boat & trailer weight? Or how much the trailer tongue weighs? Any chance you can move your boat back a foot or so & see how it tows? This might involve moving the bow/winch support back too.

G
#18 ·
Try upping, or lowering your tire pressure. See if that helps with the road noise. The additional weight is compressing the rear tire, giving it a larger contact patch. This might be your reason for the higher road noise. Im sure the R/T or SLT with 20 inch rims would make even more road noise due to less sidewall to obsorb the noise and bumps from the road.

Give it a shot see if it helps. Dont forget Pressures on the Trailer too... If there low, its going to drag ass back there.

#19 ·
future boat pull

TOYS! Gotta Have Toys!

This subject is something I think the dealers are starting to figure out (Here Anyway).

On today's Full size Trucks and SUV's they are all pre-wired for trailer lights/brakes, and the factory "Tow Package" for them is typically only a Hitch and Wiring harness, so needless to say, it's something you can do yourself later if you find you need the hitch, and usually for cheaper than getting the 'tow package'.

However, with the Nitro as mentioned, its not just a matter of adding a hitch.

I guess the real question comes down to, Do you need the additional/larger coolers to tow with the nitro? I have to assume that if the Manufacturer is including them in the Tow package, there is a reason for it. My Guess is, That if you are towing 3,500 lbs or less, you probably don't need the coolers, but to hit that 5,000 lb towing capacity, your gonna need em.

The way I look at it is, It will NEVER hurt to have more cooling for your power train, all it can do is help, and reduce wear.

-TheChad
So, you think with an SLT w/o tow package I can retro-fit a class III hitch to pull my future boat, weighing about 3,000 lbs? OR, should I go ahead and throw on the additional coolers and such?

#21 ·
hitch receiver

So sadly, I couldnt talk the dealership into installing one for me ( they already came WAY down off the price)... so I just said that at a later date I would have one put on... Now I already want one..... so Should I buy the hitch from dodge, or would any other manufacturer work ? Also, I notice that little "cut out" where the hitch would be once installed... Does that just pop out, or is there screws, or am I going to have to have it cut out ?? Any advice would be appreciated.. Also, once I get it .... am I going to need to buy additional tranny cooler, or power steering cooler ... etc ...... Thanks again !!!:Racing:

#23 ·
dougserier54, I have the same questions. I was told I can get the tow package at a later date and was led to believe that all that would be needed is the hitch and wire harness. Now I question, whether I need the larger radiator, tran cooler and power steering cooler. The reason I am confused is because I noticed there is a tran cooler and the tow light comes on when the tow/haul button is pressed. So, does anybody know if I need to add/up size the above mentioned items to tow the maximum capabilities of this vehicle?

#24 ·
Bill, yes, the condenser is in front of the radiator. The cooler is also in front but at the bottom. Thanks for the recap, but I read the whole thread before I posted my reply. My question about the 'upsize' is because I already have a 'tran cooler' on my vehicle, and I was wondering if I would have to get a bigger one to handle any kind of towing. Or is the existing one good enough for towing. Like I said earleir, the salesman had me believe that all I would need to do is to get a receiver and wire harness. If you read the literature and the beginning of this thread, the tow package comes with the spare, hitch, larger radiator, etc. With that said, it is not that straight foward. If anybody has any useful info, please reply. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.