Father's Day Comes Early | Dodge Nitro Forum

Father's Day Comes Early

Discussion in 'Custom Dodge Nitro Interior and Exterior Lighting' started by CDB, Jun 10, 2018.

1. CDB

CDB New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nitro 4x4 3.7
    Trim:
    SE
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    So, awhile back I hijacked a thread by Patrick Lang discussing CCFL Halo headlights. After some great input from MetalDog, I was all set to order, assuming my wife didn't give s**t about it. Of course, she did saying it was a waste of money, that I wasn't kid anymore and I shouldn't still be in to customizing cars. That was that.

Yesterday, 2 packages show up at the house addressed to me. Since I hadn't ordered anything, I asked the wife about it. She played dumb and told me I should open them. This is what she got me. 20180609_100241.jpg 20180609_100727.jpg 20180609_122733.jpg

She's a sneaky little minx, ain't she?

They didn't come with instructions, so any tips or advice would be much appreciated. I may try to modify the fog lights. They are made to be installed with a switch in the dash, but I would like to see if I can keep them operated by the light stalk like my current fogs. Part of the gift is that I get all day on Father's Day to install them.

It's gonna be a long week.

KansasNitro, Scar0 and Nitrogen like this.
  2. Nitrogen

Nitrogen Well-Known Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    Nitro 2.8 CRD
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    I recently got the same all black headlights, you will need a switch for the headlight halo's.
    your fogs should switch on as normal, however you will also need a switch for the halo on the fogs.

Scar0 and CDB like this.
  3. Metaldog

Metaldog Well-Known Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4 3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Very nice deal! Happy Papa's Day! ;)

As for the halos in the headlights... I ran mine to a switch in the dash. Most folks just tap them into the marker lights (parking lamps), so you can also do that if you want them to come on with markers.

As to the fog lights... I still have factory fogs in mine. However, I do know that a separate set of adapter wires with factory plugs can be installed to make the fog lights work without having to install a separate switch. I'm not sure about the halos in the fog lights though. If you have halos in the fog lights, those may need a separate switch.

Hope this helps! :)

Scar0 and CDB like this.
  4. CDB

CDB New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nitro 4x4 3.7
    Trim:
    SE
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    Nitrogen - Thanks for the the heads up. That may be the end result if I can't come up with another solution. See below.

Metaldog - Thanks for the papa wishes. Right now I can turn on my markers and fogs without turning on the headlights. I would like to keep that feature. Do you think I can tap the headlight wires instead of the marker wires for the halos?

For the fog lights, I was thinking about using part of the wire harness that came with them, but instead of running it all the way to the dash, just tap the stock fog light wires for power. Any idea where I might find those adapter wires?

Scar0 likes this.
  5. Nitrogen

Vehicle:
    Nitro 2.8 CRD
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    what type of connector is on the new fogs,
    my halo's come on with the ignition.

6. Nitrogen

Vehicle:
    Nitro 2.8 CRD
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
  7. Blue ram

Blue ram Well-Known Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    '07 3.7L auto
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Electric Blue
    Nice gift. Enjoy installing them.

CDB and Scar0 like this.
  8. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Happy D day to you!
    If the main bulb in the fog lights are the same watt as what you have, then all you will need is an adapter to fit the OEM plug.

All the halos will require their own switch/s(1 per pair) if you want to control those separately. Otherwise you can tap into one of the other light circuits to have them come on with the lights. Remember to use quick disconnects (like bullet connectors) so you can unplug them if you have to remove a light. I installed mine with male on one wire and female on the other. IE Male to female, other wire, female to male. This prevents plugging them in backward/to the wrong wire.

If either the headlights or fogs are HID, you will need relays and error cancelers for each one. This will prevent flashing, and possibly burning up the wires and TIPM.
    The taillights should be plug and play.

CDB likes this.
  9. Metaldog

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    To answer your question, CDB, I see no reason why you can't tap them into the headlights. My only caution is that you make sure they are tied into the low beam vs. the high beam lights.

As to the fog light adapter wires, this is what you want, I believe: https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Exte...+Lights+Lamp+Adapter+Wires+For++Jeep+Wrangler

A buddy of mine used these same adapter wires on his Nitro. He just sold his Nitro, too! :mad: He offered to sell it to me but he wanted too much for it. It was a 2011, and he wanted $9k for it & it was pretty beat up. NOPE! Not me, sorry. :eek:

KansasNitro, CDB and Scar0 like this.
  10. Nitrogen

Vehicle:
    Nitro 2.8 CRD
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    CDB, Metaldog and Scar0 like this.
  11. CDB

CDB New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nitro 4x4 3.7
    Trim:
    SE
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    Thanks to everyone. Unfortunately, I don't think those adapters will work. Here is a picture of the back of the fog lights and part of the wiring harness that came with them.

20180611_095445.jpg 20180611_095919.jpg

I think it's just gonna take some creative thinking on my part to get them to work the way I want. As long as I keep the 12V/30A relay (bigger black box) I should be alright.

12. Nitrogen

Vehicle:
    Nitro 2.8 CRD
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    As Scaro says the rears should be plug & play, the headlights should be plug & play apart from the halo's which you need to work out how you want them to switch on ?.

CDB, i did look at the spyder fogs on ebay, they should already be fitted with 35w bulbs, if this is the case then you do not need to fit the relay as the wattage is around the same value as your stock fogs, and a connector like the one i posted in my last post is all you would need, the connector will have 2 wires, connect 1 wire to the blue and the other to the white and your fogs will become plug & play, apart from the halo's once again you need to decide how you want them to switch on.

( i think the relay is supplied to cover all types of requirements ).

CDB, Scar0 and Metaldog like this.
  13. CDB

CDB New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nitro 4x4 3.7
    Trim:
    SE
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    Thanks Nitrogen. Those will definitely make life easier. Do you think the halos need the relay or the fuse? If they don't, I'll just wire everything together so the halos come on with the fog light switch on the multi-function stalk. I plan to do the same with the halos on the headlights. Instead of wiring into the parking lights, I'll wire them into the low beams. Thanks Metaldog for pointing that out. My dumb ass would of just wired them in without thinking about hi vs low beam.

14. Nitrogen

Vehicle:
    Nitro 2.8 CRD
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    you can wire the halo's so they only come on with the headlights or the fog lights, just not sure you will see the halo's with the bright light from the main bulbs,
    i don't actualy know how much power the halo's consume, but i will try and find out, i have a feeling it is more than most people think because they are CCFL and not LED.

CDB and Scar0 like this.
  15. Metaldog

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    The halos don't pull much current at all. Mine only pull about 5 watts from what I have read. I have forgotten to turn them off a couple of times. Once overnight, the other while out shopping 2-3 hours. My heart sank when I saw that I left them on, thinking the battery would be low or dead, but the Nitro started right up like nothing had happened.

CDB and Nitrogen like this.
  16. Nitrogen

Vehicle:
    Nitro 2.8 CRD
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    it's the start up current you need to look at with CCFL's ( i think ).

17. Nitrogen

Vehicle:
    Nitro 2.8 CRD
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    so i did a quick test on the current draw for the CCFL halo's, they draw about 0.35Amps for 1 halo, there was No current spike at start up (surprised as they are a flourescent light ).

so for the headlights ( 4 Halo's ) its about 1.4Amps, headlight circuit should be able to handle this with no problems.
    fog lights ( 2 Halo's ) its about 0.7Amps, and once again the fog light circuit should handle this with no problems.
    so there should be no need for the relay, if you take the power direct from the headlights and the fogs,

Metaldog is correct it's about 5W per halo, i actualy measured it at 4W which means on the headlights circuit you are adding 16W, 8W per side, as i say this should be OK, but i wouldn't add anything else to the circuit.

also there are no fuses for the headlights or fogs, they are controlled by the TIPM, if the TIPM senses a problem it simply turns them off, if you want to add an small inline fuse to protect just the halo's, them it might be a good idea.

Very Important to Disconnect the NEGATIVE battery lead before working on Any part of the vehicle electrics.

Scar0, Metaldog and CDB like this.
  18. CDB

CDB New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nitro 4x4 3.7
    Trim:
    SE
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    You guys are awesome. Thanks Nitrogen for going above & beyond with testing your lights. This seems like it should be easy-peasy now.

BTW, I ordered those pig tails you suggested, Nitrogen. They should be here on Saturday.

I will be sure to take before & after pictures as well as progress pictures and post them when I am done.

Is it Sunday yet?

Thanks again to everyone for you help, input, & ideas.

Scar0, Nitrogen and Metaldog like this.
  19. Metaldog

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    When I installed my lights, I did add an inline 5 amp fuse to the halos just as a precaution. Like Nitrogen said, probably not needed, but better safe than sorry. ;)

Nitrogen and CDB like this.
  20. CDB

CDB New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nitro 4x4 3.7
    Trim:
    SE
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    Thanks. That's actually a good idea. Better to have it & not need it than to need it a & not have it. You said your halos are on a separate dash switch. Did you put the fuse in/under the dash or in the engine compartment?

Nitrogen likes this.