Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am NEW here I have a 2008 Nitro SXT among other problems Ive had or still have I gotta start here first . This started about a month ago ... when in reverse and backing up it almost feels like the parking brake is on, and I almost have to force the car to go in reverse by accelerating more, I tried pulling the parking break and then releasing but nothing. has anyone else experienced this sort of issue with their Nitro ? PLEASE HELP
Thank You !

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat 3.7L
1,278 Posts
have the calipers checked. Also the parking brake might be out of adjustment

·
Registered
07’ SLT 4x4 Lifted, 3.7 auto
778 Posts
Welcome. I agree with PLang, be sure calipers not hung up. Very common on the nitro. If it doesn’t do it in drive though that’d be weird.... stuck caliper is stuck caliper. Could be the EBrake is out of whack and only catches in reverse..... u also just may not notice the drag in forward drive....if that’s the case I’d say caliper. Caliper vs ebrake, you’d prob not feel the caliper in drive. Usually this is also diagnosed by smelling an electrical burning/hot smell. Or feeling the wheels after a drive. One should be hot. Or two in back if ebrake is hung. If all this checks out I’d wonder about the transmission. Or maybe the rear differential?

Reactions: Patrick Lang

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
whats the other problems you are having, there may be a connection and help us diagnose your reversing problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The other problems are Electrical, My windshield wi po ers will go on and I have to push in the handle st stop them, lites go on intermittently when the window is cracked and driving on the Fwy, also my isiot lites have gone on and stay on li lately, Airbag lite, ABS lite, and a few others ... it is do hard to find a good mechanic who will actually help and fix the problems, without me having to just keep putting Money into endless problem, any ideas or info is appreciated !

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
i think your reversing issue "could be" linked to the ABS and other Warning lights issue, (normally a wheels speed sensor fault) if the reversing issue started after the Warning lights came on then thats what i would fix first,
i had a Wheel Speed Sensor fail about 6 months ago, and my transmission felt like it was straining to shift gear, like the transmission didn't know which gear it was in, however mine was only in forward gear, changed the WSS and she's back to normal,

Reactions: JPthekid

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,624 Posts

Good to have you here. Enjoy the forum!
BTW... Post a pic of your Nitro when you can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A couple thoughts...

Do you have the 4wd model? If so, how is it backing up in a straight line vs backing up with the wheel cut all the way over? Make sure you're in 2wd for this test.

A couple things that could cause brake binding in one direction...
Something wrong with caliper mounting. Broken bolt, broken mount, etc.
Foreign object in the brakes

The rear brake rotors are a combination drum and rotor. You could pull the rear rotors off and look for something broken or a foreign object.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts