First Long Trip In The Nitro | Dodge Nitro Forum

First Long Trip In The Nitro

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro Pictures' started by Nitrogenous, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Nitrogenous

Nitrogenous Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro 2.8 CRD
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Inferno Red
    Just a few pics of a trip to Wales at the weekend.

The Nitro performed well, both on and off road and we are well pleased with it. We did have one scare when the ABS and ESB lights lit up on the dash on the way there. The cruise control stopped working too, as expected, but I wasn't expecting the reverse sensors to pack up at the same time. I was worried that the gearbox would go into limp mode as that is what happened with my 300C in similar circumstances. It may be coincidence, but after wiggling the connector that goes to the reverse sensors, the fault cleared itself

nitwa01.jpg

nitwa02.jpg

nitwa03.jpg

nitwa04.jpg

nitwa05.jpg .

KansasNitro, dk1677 and Scar0 like this.
  2. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Looks like a great time.

3. KansasNitro

KansasNitro Well-Known Member NOTM Winner! Military

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    Looks like a fun trip!!!!

4. NitromanDan

NitromanDan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Stone White
    Late to this party on my reply but I've had those lights go on in mine intermittently over the years, and actually ended up driving with them on steady for over two years cause it didn't seem to be an easy fix tried replacing wheel sensors to no avail in the end it ended up being a short in the harness somewhere for the abs sensors since that fix it has been working pretty well, but then again like most dodges the nitro is prone to many a electrical glitch esp the early years

5. Nitrogenous

Nitrogenous Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro 2.8 CRD
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Inferno Red
    The harness connector that I suspect was causing the problem is in a very vulnerable place clipped just inside the bumper cover immediately behind the rear wheel. So far, the problem hasn't reappeared.

I do have a sticking rear brake caliper piston to sort out though. Not sure whether to replace just the piston or the whole caliper.

Scar0 and NitromanDan like this.
  6. NitromanDan

NitromanDan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Stone White
    I've replaced all four calipers due to them sticking/ locking up causing overheating of the rotors initially it was just the rears about 1.5 years ago then a couple months ago both fronts where done. I wasn't aware you could just replace the piston but the parts where not that expensive so even if I was aware I prob would have just done the whole caliper anyway to be safe.
    On that topic can anyone tell me if the factory rear hoses split right at the metal line or if the hose and part of the metal line have to be replaced up to the union on the rear frame up above the rear axle. I tried seoerating the hoses where they convert to the line and couldn't seem to get that apart for the life of me, I know they sell the hoses seperarely aftermarket, but I don't know if they come from the factory this way or if you have to replace part of the metal line initially to gain that union in the future

7. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    The metal line would have to be cut and flared to use after market brake hoses.

NitromanDan likes this.
  8. NitromanDan

NitromanDan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Stone White
    Thats what I thought

9. NitromanDan

NitromanDan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Stone White
    Thanks Scaro you confirmed my suspicions. last July I was having rear calioer issies and it was suggested to me by a florida firestone where I was living at the time to replace both the hoses and calipers (sounded legit) they gave me a quote which I politely refused I attempted to separate the factory hose at the metal line to no avail. And seceeded to do just the calipers at the time, when I brought it back to the same firestone to have the hoses done (I didn't want to mess with metal lines and had no good place to work @ the time) they told me I stripped the connection at the hose and that it would have to go to a dealer to have the metal line replaced (dealer only part). Of course I suspected this was a load of nonsense so I left, after repeatedly trying to explain to the service adviser that there was no such factory connection at the hose (which got me nothing but aggravated) and never went tback to the aforementioned shop for so much as an oil change. Sounded like they didn't want to do metal lines on a (originally) ny car where they may have had to break out the torch respecially when I did the "easy part" by doing the calipers. I HATE being lied to. Thankfully I've had no further issies with the rear brake system. But at least now I have confirmed the real story

Scar0 likes this.