Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well eventhough its freezing cold here i got a few things done on the buggy
REAR:
first with her being black i did not like the chrome piece above the rear license plate so i painted it black to match the car
second i blacked out the tail lights and third brake light
third i added the rear wind deflector
forth i debagged her all except the R/T emblem

FRONT
did not do much up front right now added the sunroof deflector (kind of hard to see but you can see it on the roof)
added an R/T emblem (wanted to do it in the grill like the charger R/T but had no way to mount it and with the chrome bars in the grill i didnt think it would show up very well so i decided to place it where it shows up better

did not install the vent visors or sill place trim as its too cold and i was afraid the double stick tape would not stick
ordering the lowering springs and wheels next week :cool:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
this one sharp ride.did you remove the rear piece to paint or is it brushed? i've thought of doing this as well as the front chrome (around the headlights).where did you find the light covers? there are going to be a lot of pretty nitros out this summer.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this one sharp ride.did you remove the rear piece to paint or is it brushed? i've thought of doing this as well as the front chrome (around the headlights).where did you find the light covers? there are going to be a lot of pretty nitros out this summer.
the rear chrome piece was removed and painted with factory basecoat clearcoat paint (i have a spray gun and conpressor) then color sanded and polished
i did the tail lights with niteshades spray tint....but with the niteshashades sprayed on the lights have a dull flat look to them, so what i did is after the niteshades is sprayed on i then put on 2 coats of automotive clear coat then color sand and polish just like normal automotive painting and it gives the gloss finish

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
lookin' good,there will be hordes of nitros this summer.did you remove the tailgate piece to paint it? how do you remove it? i want to remove and paint the front headlight piece,and blackout the taillights.any info you share will be appreciated.nice ride.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
the rear chrome piece was removed and painted with factory basecoat clearcoat paint (i have a spray gun and conpressor) then color sanded and polished
i did the tail lights with niteshades spray tint....but with the niteshashades sprayed on the lights have a dull flat look to them, so what i did is after the niteshades is sprayed on i then put on 2 coats of automotive clear coat then color sand and polish just like normal automotive painting and it gives the gloss finish
The rear-end result is amazing!!! It is a shame you have to put a plate on there.:D Is it legal in your state to put one of those smoked plastic covers over the license?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it legal in your state to put one of those smoked plastic covers over the license?
technically it is illegal here in michigan, but i have had one on every black vehicle i have owned and never got hassled so it will get one

i will tint the front windows as soon as the weather gets warmer (thats illegal here in michigan too, but most cops are pretty cool about it)

and i may tint the headlights and parking lights somewhat dark too (have to see how much it cuts down on the light at night)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lookin' good,there will be hordes of nitros this summer.did you remove the tailgate piece to paint it? how do you remove it? i want to remove and paint the front headlight piece,and blackout the taillights.any info you share will be appreciated.nice ride.
best thing i can say is to get a manual it shows how to remove these pieces (just way to involved to try to explain on here)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
:cool: Bob, one other thing. I was also going to do the R/T on the front grill. I assume you ordered the extra (R/T) from the dealer.

Pick up a small piece of 1/16" mild steel from either Home Depot or Lowe's. Cut the steel out 1/4" larger as a surround for the R/T letters. Wire weld two small pieces of the same mild steel to the back of this surround just long enough to fit over two of the cross bars in the grill. Turn a 90 degree bend on each end of the small pieces (lets call these retainer strips for future reference) and drill holes for small bolts in each. These 90 degree bends will have to be just shy of the depth of the grill bar so a retainer bar will hold the assembly tight against the grill bars.

Using another piece, make a retainer bar for the backside of the grill, drill matching holes and bolt on to the two retainer strips.

Paint all these metal pieces using the same paint you used on the rear chrome piece. The black will look good with the R/T and it will provide separation from the chrome grill bars so the letters will stand out. It's a little work, but I think you will have a big payoff. Too bad Dodge didn't just do this in the first place.:cool:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:cool: Bob, one other thing. I was also going to do the R/T on the front grill. I assume you ordered the extra (R/T) from the dealer.

Pick up a small piece of 1/16" mild steel from either Home Depot or Lowe's. Cut the steel out 1/4" larger as a surround for the R/T letters. Wire weld two small pieces of the same mild steel to the back of this surround just long enough to fit over two of the cross bars in the grill. Turn a 90 degree bend on each end of the small pieces (lets call these retainer strips for future reference) and drill holes for small bolts in each. These 90 degree bends will have to be just shy of the depth of the grill bar so a retainer bar will hold the assembly tight against the grill bars.

Using another piece, make a retainer bar for the backside of the grill, drill matching holes and bolt on to the two retainer strips.

Paint all these metal pieces using the same paint you used on the rear chrome piece. The black will look good with the R/T and it will provide separation from the chrome grill bars so the letters will stand out. It's a little work, but I think you will have a big payoff. Too bad Dodge didn't just do this in the first place.:cool:
yeppers i got the emblem when i ordered all the other goodies its used on the magnum and charger also cost me like 13 bucks

i was going to as you are going to do and make a mounting for the emblem in the grill (and i may still do that) but just not sure about the chrome in the grill and the chrome emblem (with a black background the seporation may be perfect as you said) when the weather gets alittle warmer i may start playing around and see if i decide to move the emblem to the grill
thanks for the info !!!!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just curious, I have Eibach on mine already. Went by the other day with new wheels and tires and they are going to look at it again and see if they can actually go lower. Nitro is probably going back to them next week.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just curious, I have Eibach on mine already. Went by the other day with new wheels and tires and they are going to look at it again and see if they can actually go lower. Nitro is probably going back to them next week.
lower then the pro truck kit would be cool i would like to see a 2 to 2 1/2 drop keep us informed

:Racing:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hey Bob,
Great lookin rig. I am wondering how good the rear wind deflector works to keep the back of the truck clean.... compared to no deflector.
Since you didn't have the rig long before you started adding things, and since you probably still have some snow on the ground, you may or may not be able to answer this.
Thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Bob,
Great lookin rig. I am wondering how good the rear wind deflector works to keep the back of the truck clean.... compared to no deflector.
Since you didn't have the rig long before you started adding things, and since you probably still have some snow on the ground, you may or may not be able to answer this.
Thanks
i was able to drive her in the dry and rain before i installed the deflector and we have had dry but no rain after i installed the deflector.

before the deflector all the dust and crud would get on the back window when its dry and the slop and road splash stayed on the window in the rain (had to keep the back wiper on constantly to be able to see out the back window

with the deflector their was alot less dust and dry crud on the window but unfortunately it has not rained yet since i have it on so i cant say how it is in rainy weather..........but as soon as we get rain i will let you know how it works

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
AirJunky , I can tell you it keeps the rear window clear enough to see out of without using the wiper all the time & with 85% dirt road thats saying something. Not saying it doesn't get dirty but never hampers vision.:pepper:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.