Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its finally snowing here in Mi and I got to test both modes of esp and I am impressed, I tried to intentionally put myself in a spin in both modes and it wouldent let me do it, that to me is a good thing. I felt in control of my nitro during the hard cornering in 4x4 with and without esp, she performes better than I expected. I for the first time in any car or truck that I have owned feel SAFE!:ura1: :pepper: :Racing:

·
Registered
790 Posts
So check this out. Traction Control is not ESP. ESP is the Electronic Suspension Package that electronically adjusts for body roll in cornering.

I tried spinning the truck around with it all enabled too. And about all I did was go in a straight line. I turned off the ESP & put the truck in 2wd, and the truck spun easily in a tight circle.

So I'm not sure what the difference in the two is or how their related. And is Traction Control disabled when you click the ESP button?

·
Registered
72 Posts
[SIZE=-1]ESP is standard on all Nitro's and [/SIZE]Actually, "ESP" means [SIZE=-1]Electronic Stability Program which is the traction control, brake assist and anti roll program. By turning the button off you turn everything off including traction control.

The body roll you are talking about might be the anti roll feature which applies braking to the wheels when it senses a potential tip over.
[/SIZE]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks gabe. I figured they must all be tied together pretty closely. The truck handles night & day differently when you turn off the ESP.
No problem, it does handle night and day turning it off and on. Yesterday it snowed here so I played around with it. it was fun when it was off!!!! :Racing: but it does feel real safe with it on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well its finally snowing here in Mi and I got to test both modes of esp and I am impressed, I tried to intentionally put myself in a spin in both modes and it wouldent let me do it, that to me is a good thing. I felt in control of my nitro during the hard cornering in 4x4 with and without esp, she performes better than I expected. I for the first time in any car or truck that I have owned feel SAFE!:ura1: :pepper: :Racing:
How is it in the snow, with ESP on, in 4x2 mode?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I noticed that the esp still works in the off mode they call it "soft mode" its in the manual. with it off it lets you spin the tires if your stuck. but its always on even if you turn it off or soft off they call it. The only way to fully disenguage it is to pull the fuse.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

It works quite well, not as stable when cornering you dont get the pull in the front like in 4x4 mode. I wouldent recmend doing something stupid in the snow in 2 wheel drive unless your in an open area and you know whats under the snow ie parking blocks and sutch.:beerchug: :velo:

·
Registered
790 Posts
It gets around pretty good with the ESP on & in 2wd. You don't take off from a stop very quick (spins like any other car) but at least it's not stuck spinning one wheel.

In 4wd the thing accelerates from a stop or takes corners in the snow really well. It definitely compares well against our AWD Pacifica or 98 Outback we used to have. The Nitro even has pretty good braking in the snow with the ABS. I towed an ATV trailer about 80 miles in the snow last weekend & didn't have any problems.

We've had about a foot of the white stuff over the last 3 weeks & it's still on the roads so I've been driving in it a lot lately. :Racing:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A question. I have only rear wheel drive. Is everyone saying that the ESP will help in the snow by allowing you to grip and go better? I live in the sandhills of NC. We don't get much snow but I would like to try it out.

esp helps you stay in control of your nitro weather you have 4x4 or just 2 wheel drive.. It should help in the snow by limiting wheel spin when turning and leaving a red light under heavy throttle. Its a little jaring when the esp suddenly applys the brakes when cornering so use caution when you "play" with the esp. Theres a good demo on Doges web site with esp on and off. check it out and if you read the manual it will tell you about it as well. I think its a good thing to have and should be standard on every car,truck in the market.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.