Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to buy the hitch receiver from the dealer, but what I'm wondering about is the 7-plug wiring harness.

What's so special about it that makes it worth over $100? Is there a special plug connector on it or something? I can buy a similar harness at Pep Boys for like 20 bucks.

Anybody feel like crawling under their Nitro to see where it hooks into? :pauk:

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is no need for the 7 wire harness unless you will tow a trailer with electric brakes. A 4 wire harness is all you need for most trailers. The factory tow package comes with the 7 wire socket and I think it includes an adapter for the 4 wire harness.

The factory package comes with HD coolers that helps if you are towing heavy trailers long distances.

·
Registered
85 Posts
FLN,
I have the Tow Package supplied form dodge from new.
It comes wired with a 7 pin plug and I bought an adaptor to 4 pin.. I found it best to order the Pkg. with the vehicle, because it comes with a larger radiator & a transmission cooler upgrade, a full size spare tire, Ect... and a towing capibility of 5000 Lbs.

(If you put on your own hitch without the "Tow Package" offered, you only should tow at 3500 Lbs)

Dodge offers a 7 pin plug, but if you dont need that, like "rs2" said get a 4 wire kit... but I'd suggest not the cheep type you have to splice in to the cars harness. (cutting harness wires may not be a good Idea)
There are "Plug-in Harness kits" avalible that have the 4 pin flat plug and they sell an adaptor to the 7 pin, shoud you need it.

Hoppy is one of the Mfg's of these harnesses. No Cutting and voiding your Warranty..
Frank

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FLN,
It comes wired with a 7 pin plug and I bought an adaptor to 4 pin.. I found it best to order the Pkg. with the vehicle, because it comes with a larger radiator & a transmission cooler upgrade, a full size spare tire, Ect... and a towing capibility of 5000 Lbs.

(If you put on your own hitch without the "Tow Package" offered, you only should tow at 3500 Lbs)

Dodge offers a 7 pin plug, but if you dont need that, like "rs2" said get a 4 wire kit... but I'd suggest not the cheep type you have to splice in to the cars harness. (cutting harness wires may not be a good Idea)
There are "Plug-in Harness kits" avalible that have the 4 pin flat plug and they sell an adaptor to the 7 pin, shoud you need it.

Hoppy is one of the Mfg's of these harnesses. No Cutting and voiding your Warranty..
Frank
Boattech:

Off Subject.....Where is the full-size spare located and how do you get to it?

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I got my Nitro the hard way. I won it in a contest. :D So, I didn't have a choice as to what options I had. It's kind of a "plain jane" version, though I do have the full size spare. I would only be towing a small trailer on occasion, so I probably only need the 4 pin plug.

So, are you saying there's no plug for me to hook into if I didn't get the tow package from the factory? Where should I look for it? I just looked under the rear end & I didn't see any wires there.

I've only used the kind where you have to splice into the harness, so I'm a little confused how I'm going to do this if I don't have some kind of existing plug somewhere. :confused:
FLN,

Frank

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rickaren,
The tire is inder the back bumper. To lower it, there is a removable cap on the center & aft-most area of the stow n go. Ya stick the jack handle in there and turn to lower it to the ground.
Hope that helps :)
Frank
Thanks for the info, just wanted to understand that ordering the Trailer Tow Package, that includes the full sized spare tire wasn't going to screw storage up! I too always order this option, not to tow but to add other heavy duty items. I'm sure it does not hurt resale, either. It is a good option that can not be duplicated later by the Dealer at a similar price. Waiting on R/T to become available to order one.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got my response back from Hoppys. They said they only offer a splice-in kit for the Nitro.

Anybody else have any ideas? :thk:
The Nitro is so new that it will take a while for a harness plug-in kit to be developed.

I wonder if the Liberty, Durango or other Dodge/Jeep plug-in kit would work? I would expect Dodge would use similar connectors with their vehicles.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
The Chrysler trailer wiring is gonna be plug and play. The harness has electrical connectors the same as the taillights and it plugs right in. No cutting or splicing into wires. No loose connections and your trailer lights don't work. That is why it costs $100. Worth every penny and no hassle.:)

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Chrysler trailer wiring is gonna be plug and play. The harness has electrical connectors the same as the taillights and it plugs right in. No cutting or splicing into wires. No loose connections and your trailer lights don't work. That is why it costs $100. Worth every penny and no hassle.:)
Can you tell me where it plugs into the wiring harness at?

I noticed there is a kind of a "black box" with some wires going to it that's located underneath on the driver's side, just in front of the rear bumper.

Is that it? :confused:

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Can you tell me where it plugs into the wiring harness at?

I noticed there is a kind of a "black box" with some wires going to it that's located underneath on the driver's side, just in front of the rear bumper.

Is that it? :confused:
Basically it will involve removing the rear taillights and that's where its gonna plug in. I've installed the Chrysler trailer wiring on Caravan's, Ram trucks, Jeeps they're all pretty much the same. If it's similar to a Liberty, and its possible its completely different, some connections are made behind the right rear quarter trim panel. A little more involved on a Liberty. Won't know until I install a Nitro's trailer harness to say exactly. Hope this helps.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I suppose if I spend the money, there are probably instructions incl. with it. I can see spending the money on the hitch & the bezel, but spending $100+ for the wiring just sticks in my craw.
Anyway, thanks for all the replies on this. I guess I'll just have to start pulling off the taillights & trim pieces and see what I can figure out.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm curious if any of you have done any towing with the Nitro yet, especially trailers approaching the 5000 lb limit. I have a couple of toys that I'd want to tow with it, including a ski boat that is about 4000 lbs (tandem axle & surge brakes) & an ATV trailer that is about 2200 lbs (single axle, no brakes).
I'm wondering if such a lightweight rig will get pushed around by either trailer. Does the 3.7 have enough power to git er done? ;)

BTW, I installed the trailer wiring on an 05 Pacifica recently. I was amazed at the number of wires & connectors it had, which was about the same cost as mentioned above. It was a pretty easy install though & has not been any problem since so I'd shy away from jerry rigging it too much.

·
Registered
85 Posts
AirJunky,
I agree with not jerry-rigging, I have installed dozens of cut and splice harness in my time and I'll tell ya the plug-in harnesses are the way to go!

I had the big boat put to bed for the winter before I got the Nitro.
But I did get to tow a 2000 lb. camper, no problem there.
The factory installed the hitch pkg goes along way in insuring the drivetrain is protected, but I have the same questions as you!
Frank

·
Registered
169 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of factory installed hitch and wiring on there Nitro?
I haven't pulled off the interior rear quarter panels yet, but here are some external pictures:

View of the wiring connector:

Entry point of the wiring harness into the body above the EVAP cannister on the right rear quarter panel:

A few more can be found in my gallery. Let me know if you need other shots.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.