Please do not post threads in the Newbie Checkin forum that are concerning other topics. This section is for new member introductions only!

Frequent No Crank No Start 2009 Slt

Discussion in 'Newbie Check in!' started by MOPAR-Steve, Aug 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MOPAR-Steve

MOPAR-Steve New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Nitro SLT
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Hi, I just joined and want to get my 2009 SLT back to its original reliability. I bought it new in 2009 and didn't believe that the spark plugs really had to be changed at 30K. That mistake led me to replace both the cam and crank position sensors, coils and plugs. Am now on my 5th Crank Position Sensor. Just replaced all four Oxygen sensors. Overall it is running really well but still frequently just clicks when I turn the key. I have read several threads which point at the Wireless Control Module (including a Technical Bulletin that only went to 2007). Vehicle has 158K and I doubt there is any warranty left. Can I replace the WCM myself or do I need to take it to a dealer? Thanks, Steve

2. genseric

genseric Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro 3.7L 4x4
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Stone White
    Just clicks? Did you check grounding from battery, etc.

MOPAR-Steve likes this.
  3. MOPAR-Steve

MOPAR-Steve New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Nitro SLT
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Pretty experienced mechanic. WCM static build-up is one of the few possibilities that I can guess

4. genseric

genseric Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro 3.7L 4x4
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Stone White
    This shows you can remove it yourself.

MOPAR-Steve and Nitrogen like this.
  5. MOPAR-Steve

MOPAR-Steve New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Nitro SLT
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Thank you Generic! That was the kind of information that I was looking for. Apparently should have used SKREEM as a search word instead of WCM. I can do that although it is not my favorite cup of tea. As I watched, two variables occurred to me: 1) Is it possible that the solder just broke at those two points where the video shows you to unsolder then remove the circuit board? I had a 1999 Chrysler Town & Country whose solder points broke and intermittently shut off the dashboard then eventually caused a complete no-start. There were two points that were broken that somehow told the anti-theft system to shut down the ignition system. Little solder and problem solved. Any chance?
    2) My wife was locked out once and a locksmith made a key to get her in and maybe use in the ignition. Any chance that caused an issue with the SKREEM / WCM?
    Lastly, I found info on Technical Service Bulletin 08-003-13 which appears to replace the SKREEM / WCM. That issue was the clock losing time. Mine is not but could that be a free dealer repair?

Thanks again! Steve

6. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Steve, If you don't use the insides from the original WCM, a dealer will have to program a new one.
    Tsb are only free if you are in warranty, Out of warranty it is on your dime.
    Have you replaced the battery in the fob? You may just have a weak signal.
    "Flip" keys don't work well in the Nitro because the transmitter in they key is to far away...

MOPAR-Steve likes this.
  7. MOPAR-Steve

MOPAR-Steve New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Nitro SLT
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Thanks Scar0. It won't hurt to put a new battery in so I will do that today. Any chance the solder connections could be broken? - Steve

8. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Hard to say for sure. It could be that, worn out starter, failing relay, ESD, bad key cylinder...
    If you have a lot if static in the rig, get a sheet of bounce fabric softener, like you use in the dryer, and rub it on the seats. You can also spritz a diluted liquid softener mix on the seats.
    I use bounce and a bonus is the rig smells nice.:cool:

MOPAR-Steve and Nitrogen like this.
  9. Nitrogen

Nitrogen Well-Known Member NOTM Winner!

try a second key ?. when it doesn't start, does the red security dot light up in the instrument cluster, and stay lit.

Scar0 and MOPAR-Steve like this.
  10. MOPAR-Steve

MOPAR-Steve New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Nitro SLT
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Yesterday I followed Scar0's advice and changed the battery on the fob/key that I had a No start with on Friday. Distance to unlock/lock doors increased on that fob/key. Too early to tell if that was the fix but I would be quite happy if it was.
    I did have both fob/keys with me yesterday and used 'spare" for starting and driving. I will try your (Nitrogen's) recommendation if/when I have another No start. I do appreciate the advice and think my variables have been reduced to a point where a long-term fix is close.
    Problem with intermittent issues - I drive up to 800 miles a week and a month can wear out a lot of other parts.
    Thanks again - Steve

Scar0 likes this.
  11. MOPAR-Steve

MOPAR-Steve New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Nitro SLT
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Missed this in reply to Nitrogen: I had not noticed the red security light but I will pay attention next time. No start apparently always knows when I am in a hurry so I was a bit flustered at those times.

12. MOPAR-Steve

MOPAR-Steve New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Nitro SLT
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Delayed response to Genseric's first response: I had two instances of just a click yesterday (Monday 07AUG17). First instance was three turns with just clicks then it started on fourth turn. (Didn't see an alarm light but could have missed it.) Second instance was one click then start on the second turn. Thought maybe a dead spot in the starter so I began looking for a replacement starter. Noticed that this MOPAR design has a slide-on clip to energize the solenoid. I checked that connection and there was some corrosion on it. May have been the fix, will post if it was. I did have success with a Ford that had the same slide-on solenoid connection which was loose and just needed to be pinched. Thanks again - Steve
    PS: Just waxed the Nitro so I can post a picture to replace the generic male symbol.

Scar0 likes this.
  13. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Hope that was the fix. Keep us posted...

14. MOPAR-Steve

MOPAR-Steve New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Nitro SLT
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Rained while I was at a restaurant, 2 clicks then started on third turn. Weather/roads/Nitro were dry when I went into the restaurant. The previous problem was a few minutes after I washed it.

15. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Swap out the starter solenoid relay, K3 in the TIPM.

16. MOPAR-Steve

MOPAR-Steve New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Nitro SLT
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    About to swap out the relay. Wanted to buy a new one but this one does not appear to be well cross-referenced. MOPAR is an OMRON 04692141AA. Autozone has a Duralast 20932 which looks correct and has 04692141AA stamped on it.
    Was hoping for a better quality which I consider BWD better - O'reilly has a non-cross referenced BWD 3107P. NAPA and Advance have no listings.
    Update: I washed it again and no starting problems since previous posting

Scar0 likes this.