Dodge Nitro Forum banner
21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is required at intervals stated in your manual under maintnance. It is the changing of the fluids of your front and rear differentials. My local dealer here wanted $240.00 to do front and rear, US funds. I did mine at 16,000 miles and it was pretty dirty. It's as easy as doing your own engine oil at home. This is how I did mine the easy and economical way. Go to auto parts store and get a drain pan, brake cleaner (for surface cleaning after your done), A suction gun and fluids. For the front I used 2 quarts of Valvoline durablend synthetic 80w90, for the rear I used 2 quarts of Mobil 1 super synthetic 75w140. As for just the rear you have to add one bottle of friction modifier. That lubricates the cluth packs and keeps them from chattering/binding up. The front axle has a allen bolt drain plug on the bottom, and a filler plug 3/4 the way up. You use a ratchet and small extension to open. Fill the way up till it reaches the top of that filler plug. The rear has a rubber plug that just pops off on the rear diff cover. Insert tube for suction gun and keep pullin out the fluid till no more comes out. Take your time and enjoy the smell. Total cost for me was about $50.00 for the gear oil and friction modifier. The suction gun with hose costed me about $8.00. Or you can pull the covers off and mess with the silicone gaskets. In my opinion, this is no different that draining your engine oil and filling it back up. Hope that helped
Thank you very much for your knowledge and putting it on line for us who can do the job but need some help along the way 😎

21 - 21 of 21 Posts