Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

First snow of the season here, and I went out this morning in the Nitro. Rear tires slipped some going up the street, so I threw her in 4x4 as I have tons of time in the past.

This time however, I was greeted with the clanking sound of metal. :SHOCKED: 4x4 still worked, just didn't sound pretty. At first, I thought it was gears slipping but it seemed to drive too smooth for that.

When I got home, I went into the garage and started looking underneath. This is what I found:

This is a picture of where the front drive shaft goes into the Transfer Case. It was kind of hard to get a good picture, but what I am seeing is that the drive shaft appears to be missing a rubber boot where it goes into the joint there. Additionally, it appears off center. When I grab it, I am able to move it top/bottom slightly. The noise it makes when I move it with my hand sounds an awful lot like the noise I heard while driving.

On the underside of the car surrounding this joint I can see a grease splatter pattern as if all the grease got spun out as I was driving.

My questions are these:

1. Does anyone have a picture of what this is supposed to look like?

2. Do you think this could be the source of my noise?

3. What does it take to change one of these? I found this part on Amazon that looks like it is similar to what I need: http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-932-303-Shaft-Joint-Mitsubishi/dp/B00412UIPA
Does anyone know the exact right part? Anyone know how to swap one of these out?

Thanks for the help as always guys! :smileup:

Attachments

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
It's strange that you have not heard any noises before this. The design of the Nitro's 4wd system is that everything is always rotating: front 1/2 shafts, front differential and front drive shaft! The Nitro does not have locking hubs. All the transfer case does is lock the 2 drive shafts together. There is no boot covering this spot: where the shaft enters the case. Mine looks just like yours, without the grease. If you can move the shaft I would say that the bearing and seal are shot. :(

:cool:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dhh3. Does your axle appear centered in the hole coming out of the transfer case? Also, does it come out straight, or is it at an angle? For reference, mine is higher on the T-Case side, and slopes downward slightly to meet up with the front diff.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,327 Posts
You are missing parts that cover the hole.
I have had the front drive shaft off my rig several times and the shaft is centered and everything is tight.
You will have to remove the shaft and get a new pot/pan CV for it..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are missing parts that cover the hole.
I have had the front drive shaft off my rig several times and the shaft is centered and everything is tight.
You will have to remove the shaft and get a new pot/pan CV for it..
Thanks Scar0. If it's not too much trouble, can you show me a pic of what it's supposed to look like? Any ideas as to what is involved in removing the old and installing the new?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,327 Posts
The first thing is to mark both the pot/pan and Diff flanges so you can line things up the same as they come off. Then remove the 6 bolts securing it to the X-fer case flange. Then remove the bolts on the differential side. Drop the drive line.
I have not rebuilt one, so I would take it to a shop and have them do it, if possible... You may need to get a new drive line.?

Looking again at your Pic, it appears the parts are there, but loose.
My shaft is not dead center, it has a slight down and left to it from the front. But is much more centered then your Pic.
This Pic was taken from the drivers side of the CAT, and the shaft is solid.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for putting that picture up. :rep: Mine looks pretty messed up -_- :shakehead: I think I'm going to take it to 4 Wheel Parts and see how much they want to fix it.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,327 Posts
Your welcome. My wife thought I was nuts going out at 10 PM to get a Pic. lol
You could save some labor costs and drop the drive line yourself. The Nitro will run fine with it out. You will just have 2Wd is all.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your welcome. My wife thought I was nuts going out at 10 PM to get a Pic. lol
You could save some labor costs and drop the drive line yourself. The Nitro will run fine with it out. You will just have 2Wd is all.
So I went to 4 Wheel Parts to get a quote.... last time I will ever go there!
First, after repeatedly saying 2008 Dodge Nitro, they quoted me $700 to replace the front drive shaft on an '08 Rubicon... Then, they proceeded to tell me that I would have to have a custom drive shaft made and a "yoke conversion" done to get rid of the tulip joint on the Transfer Case :confused:

Sad part is that's not the first issue I've had with these people, so I gave them some not so nice words and walked out. :loser1:

Anywho, I'm pretty sure I'd like to do this work myself now. As you pointed out, the Nitro will be fine in 2WD, so I can drop the drive shaft and still drive the vehicle. My question is: Any idea where I can get the parts?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,327 Posts
So I went to 4 Wheel Parts to get a quote.... last time I will ever go there!
First, after repeatedly saying 2008 Dodge Nitro, they quoted me $700 to replace the front drive shaft on an '08 Rubicon... Then, they proceeded to tell me that I would have to have a custom drive shaft made and a "yoke conversion" done to get rid of the tulip joint on the Transfer Case :confused:

Sad part is that's not the first issue I've had with these people, so I gave them some not so nice words and walked out. :loser1:

Anywho, I'm pretty sure I'd like to do this work myself now. As you pointed out, the Nitro will be fine in 2WD, so I can drop the drive shaft and still drive the vehicle. My question is: Any idea where I can get the parts?
Can't do a yoke conversion on our X-fer case. The yoke on the 143 is the oil seal, slinger, and internal shaft. As far as I know they have not come out with a conversion kit for it yet. It is not a two piece part, where you can just unbolt the pot/pan part of it. Dealer would be your best bet for a new shaft. They sell it as one piece, direct bolt in.
Which parts are he missing? Granted, it was dark and cold, but mine appeared to be the same as his, without all of the grease! :eek:

Maybe I'm missing something; I'm still under warranty!

:cool:
Nope, you are not missing anything. I could not see the rubber boot that is all torn up in his Pic, at first glance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How did you go getting a replacement C/V Red Nitro?
Am going down the same path as you ,luckily got it early.But have removed shaft as a precaution.
Brent

·
Registered
7 Posts
I gave up trying to find a part number.I took it to a local Driveshaft place.They found a boot that was similar,and machined it to fit.$75,and they cleaned and repacked the C/V.
Happy with the out come.
Now to get it back in,was tight getting it out, the O2 sensor was in the way.Couldn't get the clip on the joiner undone ,had to remove it from the exhaust pipe.
Good luck
Brent

1 - 16 of 16 Posts