Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forum and have found a few threads talking about removing the rear bench seats, but nothing about the front ones.
Has anyone removed them before?

Surely I couldn't be the only one that has thought about pulling them out for one reason or another, could I?

The reason I want to remove them, and was looking for a "how to", or at least find out how difficult is was from someone that previously pulled them is that I want to deep clean the carpets as I have had pretty severe water and coolant sitting in the foot wells and under the seats in the past. Once from a leaking heater core that I had to replace, and also from a sunroof leak from a failed rivet (fixed and painted/dyed the roof liner).

I plan on renting a carpet cleaner with upholstery attachment from Home Depot (seats need a deep cleaning as well) and figured the best method would require the front, and possibly the rear seats removed.

Anyone have any input on whether or not this is doable, and/or worth the effort?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Removing front seats is extremely easy.
Slide the seat backward, wide open door and disconnect one or two connectors. They have plastic lock like any other look at connectors in engine bay to understand how locks work
Pry the plastic cover where seat belt enters the seat cushion.
Remove the Torx 45 bolt that holds end of the seatbelt to the seat
4x 18mm hex bolt holding each rail to the floor. (you need to slide back-forth toget access tothe bolts)
remove headrest
slide the seat to the center and put it into “landing” position - lift a bit a pull through the door

watch the rails while navigating through the door to not scratch your paint

Seat is relatively heavy.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. My only concern is the air bag box that is under the seats. If I disconnect the battery and wait the recommended 30 minutes before working in that area, I will not have the ability to move the drivers seat forward or backwards as that seat is powered (and there will then be no power after unplugging the battery).
Will the bolts still be accessible if unable to move the seat?

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
437 Posts
Which year you have? I’m not aware of the airbag box in Nitro. It has no seat airbags. There is curtain in the ceiling.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2008 SLT. I was under the impression that the metal box under the seat was an airbag control box (or possibly a sensor for the airbag system).

·
Registered
437 Posts
There is no metalbox under the seat afaik.
Airbag control unit as well as lateral acceleration sensor (ESP understeering/oversteering detection) are in central console circa under cup holders.

wait! You’re US located. It is Texas edition trim, safe with 1911 .44Dodge Magnum:))))

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I am located in the US. Post 2 of this thread describes what I am talking about.

·
Registered
437 Posts
But it is under cover of the B pillar not under the seat. It is seat belt winder with tightening pyro mechanism. When airbags are trigerred this is too and it tightens the seatbelts by 4" to hold you back at seat.
But you shouldn't remove this. Don't touch it.
Just disconnect the belt where it is mounted to the seat not the opposite site. (that T-45 bolt). Honestly if you just need to pull the carpet and you have space around the car - just losen 4 hex nuts, disconnect 2 connectors under seat cushion and remove the seat - seat belt is long enough to allow you to place the sea next to the car without diconnecting.

To get under the carpet, remove the trim around the front door - front part, pry it upwards.
Remove the B pillar 2 covers - Top white is held by screw - under the square 1/2"x1/2" cover. Then you can pry uout the bottom one. This will lose the carpet enough.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,207 Posts
The main airbag controller is under the E-brake handle, in the center console.
There is also a front passenger seat weight detector related to the airbags.
So, YES disconnect the battery before you begin work any where in that area!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The main airbag controller is under the E-brake handle, in the center console.
There is also a front passenger seat weight detector related to the airbags.
So, YES disconnect the battery before you begin work any where in that area!
I thought that was the case... hopefully ill be able to put the seat in a position where I can still get it out when I decide to rent the cleaner from HD.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Don’t sweat it. Keep batt connected, move the seat forward. Loosen rear bolts, move backward, loosen front ones. Move to the center. Discoonect battery, disconnect connectors, remove seat, get under the carpet.
there is no harm to unbolt the nuts wit battery connected

·
Premium Member
2011 Nitro Heat 3.7 4wd
140 Posts
I did that and unfortunately there's a safety mechanism that won't allow you to restart the vehicle if you remove the front seats unless you figure a way to bypass that you won't be starting the vehicle again, but if merely doing some work then replacing the seat is your goal, then by all means no problem

·
Registered
437 Posts
I did that and unfortunately there's a safety mechanism that won't allow you to restart the vehicle if you remove the front seats unless you figure a way to bypass that you won't be starting the vehicle again, but if merely doing some work then replacing the seat is your goal, then by all means no problem
Please, elaborate on this. I removed the both front seats multiple times and had no issue.

Reactions: Heat3.7

·
Premium Member
2011 Nitro Heat 3.7 4wd
140 Posts
When I removed the wiring underneath the seat and went to go turn the vehicle back on but it won't start ,so I just reinstalled it.. mine is a 2011 if yours is older it may not have a safety mechanism. It must be air bag safety related I'm assuming. Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts