Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm looking to get my front struts replaced as recommended by a mechanic I've been taking the Nitro to.
However, I am looking at RockAuto and wondering if there is any difference between the Front Strut (FCS) and a Quick Strut (Monroe) listed below.

Alongside the recommendation, my front end also squeaks when I go over bumps, which is why I'm looking to replace them. I read a couple of the forums on here, but I also got a couple pictures of the front struts as well if anyone requests to see them.
Font Rectangle Parallel Electric blue Screenshot

Also, he said that my Master cylinder was weak. Says there's a secondary and primary, and the primary is weak. How easy would it be to replace that on my own? I'm really concerned about braking in general as I'm about to travel up north in the snow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the quick strut includes the entire assembly with spring already together. These would let you swap out the entire unit whole.
Bare struts mean you have to compress the spring to separate the old strut and install the new strut.
I just replaced all my struts and shocks with the Bilstein 4600 series:
rear: Bilstein 24-139175
front: Bilstein 24-139168

I bought the set from shockwarehouse.com
Rockauto has them also, but after shipping the former cost less at the time.

The rears are super easy to do. The fronts a little more involved to access them, maneuver them in and out (if you have 4wd) and compress the springs, but all told it is still pretty straight forward.

Oddly enough, with the brand new fronts, now my front suspension squeaks. I think it may be because I cleaned but didn't lube the rubber isolators on either end of my springs. I may need to do that.
Would it be better quality [in the long run] to do the bare strut? Suspension work is super new for myself. I will take note of lubricating the rubber isolators, so thank you for your thorough response.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts