Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where the fuel filter is located on a 2007 nitro sxt?? Ive been googling it and cant seem to find an exact answer.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
which engine do you have

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
The fuel pressure regulator and the main fuel filter are combined within the fuel pump module
the fuel filter normaly last the life of the fuel pump.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The fuel pressure regulator and the main fuel filter are combined within the fuel pump module
the fuel filter normaly last the life of the fuel pump.
Hi nitrogen,

I own a CRD 2.8 engine (As stated below in my signature) how often shall I change my fuel filter? I can’t find information on this. I bought the car at approx 50,000 on the clock it’s now approximately 150,000 on the clock I don’t think the filter has been changed since.... could this be my current cause of fuel not getting to my engine?

·
Registered
28 Posts
100k is way too much. And yes, it can cause your problems.
OK i have finally fitted a new after market fuel filter. I have put the car battery on charge to get it 100% before i start cranking the engine. I have also turned the key a few times to allow fuel to fill the fuel lines. is their anything else i might need to know or be aware of 🤨...?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,228 Posts
Hi nitrogen,

I own a CRD 2.8 engine (As stated below in my signature) how often shall I change my fuel filter? I can’t find information on this. I bought the car at approx 50,000 on the clock it’s now approximately 150,000 on the clock I don’t think the filter has been changed since.... could this be my current cause of fuel not getting to my engine?
Just an FYI the engine maintenance schedule for the 2.8 CRD says to change the fuel filter every 40,000 Km or 24 months.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can somebody tell me what this is used for?
965742DD-2575-403B-969D-6D99ED7EB909.jpeg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is CRD 2.8 DODGE NITRO SELF PRIMING ?

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
my manual doesn't mention bleeding the fuel system, i think JAN knows more about the CRD engine than most, so i would go with his method in post #9
the 2.8crd engine in the Jeep liberty, which is nearly the same as the Nitro did have a bleed pump fitted to the filter housing But it was deleated from the Nitro filter housing, for some Reason !,
my manual does show a fuel system "air purge fitting" at the rear of the generator, have had a quick look at my engine but can't see anything, the diagram shows it coming from the top of the high pressure fuel pump and up behind the generator !

·
Registered
19 Posts
First post here, I'm in Europe and have a 2.8 CRD Nitro, 2007. Hope you could help me shed some more light on the fuel filter procedure. I've done it on an older van and I just filled the new one up and refitted, started without problems. But that was an old van with less electronics and sensors in it.

I recently acquired the Nitro and as I'm about to do a 150.000 km service I'm gonna do oil change, filter, air filter, fuel filter and also go ahead and do axle and transfer case fluids.

But back to the fuel filter. Since the Nitro doesn't have the manual priming pump or a valve for removing air after disconnecting the fuel hoses. I hope to get some more info on this. Procedure as follows...whole assembly comes out, and filter is changed, fitted back in. If using the method Jan mentions:

Easiest way to bleed the filter is to disconnect upper fuel connection and turn on igntion few times.
  • Do I fill the new filter at all prior to fitting or just fitting it empty?
  • And I presume leaving the right side hose (the one marked in attached photo) disconnected, do I turn ignition on and off a few times with the hose disconnected, OR do I need to crank it a few times until fuel comes out instead of air through that disconnected nozzle?

Someone mentioned in another thread to just fill the filter up prior to fitting and it started no probs. Risk of getting air trapped in the system if doing it that way?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just remove upper connection and cycle ignition on-off till fuel comes out. Do not crank, air will go to the high pressure pump. I would not recommend filling the filter prior installation as some unfiltered fuel gets to the wrong side of filter element and injectors are extremely sensitive to dirt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just remove upper connection and cycle ignition on-off till fuel comes out. Do not crank, air will go to the high pressure pump. I would not recommend filling the filter prior installation as some unfiltered fuel gets to the wrong side of filter element and injectors are extremely sensitive to dirt.
Thanks Jan for the quick reply and clarification on the ignition cycling, no cranking and leaving the filter unfilled on installation. Once more to be clear regarding which connection, when you write upper connection, do you mean the one at the very top of of the housing, the black cloth covered cable/hose and NOT the one that my drawn yellow arrow is pointing to?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts