Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before buying/replacing my fuel pump, I’m hoping someone can give me cheaper easier things to eliminate the problems I’m having...

The car starts up just fine but here lately, I’ve been having problems starting it if I stop by the store or something for a few minutes and don’t leave it sit long. Then it’ll continuously crank and not start. A few days ago I was driving and it randomly lost power and would sputter while accelerating. It did throw a code but I wasn’t able to get it checked and it ended up going away. It would also do this on the highway if I tried to accelerate fast to pass a car or go up hill. I have to really ease into it for it not to sputter. Kind of sounds like a failing fuel pump to me but I’m not entirely sure. Are there other things I could try first? Also if it is the fuel pump, do you have to drop the tank or is there access to it under the backseat or something?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
Hard to start when warm problem. We've seen numerous threads about this issue. We've given our advise and low and behold not 1 ONE thread starter has come back to us with how they got it fixed.
So at this point we are still guessing. Cam sensor, Crank sensor, Vapor lock, Low fuel pressure, Failing fuel pump, Leaking injectors, Heat soaked computer, are a few ideas we've passed on.
The tank has to be dropped to remove the pump. :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I’ve read through a lot of them and the ignition trick seems to work well.

Any idea on the sputtering/low power issue? Not sure if it could be related or not.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
Best way to know is to test fuel pressure and leak down. Gummed up injectors could also cause poor acceleration.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm going to put some injector cleaner in it later when I get home. I was also thinking it could be bad/old gas because it did sit for a while before that happened. I'm gonna try to start driving it more often but it's hard with the headlight issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts