Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put my second tank of gas in, and the Check engine light came on. I went to autozone to read the code and it was the cap as I thought it was. I have taken it off and put it back on a number of times. I even had the code cleared, but it came back on. We have a little Ice and cold temps in St. Louis right now, so I don't know if that could be part of the issue with not sealing well... Any Ideas?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I just put my second tank of gas in, and the Check engine light came on. I went to autozone to read the code and it was the cap as I thought it was. I have taken it off and put it back on a number of times. I even had the code cleared, but it came back on. We have a little Ice and cold temps in St. Louis right now, so I don't know if that could be part of the issue with not sealing well... Any Ideas?
Hey Andy..Have you tighten the cap turn till it clicks 3-4 times .If so and the cap is now on and tight you'll still need to drive it a couple times/days till it re-sets .If all this has been completed then a new cap may be in your future .
Good Luck..
Roadie :Racing:

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Look at the cap carefully to see if the Rubber gasket is OK. It may have gotten chewed up or pulled out of place.

New cars have sealed systems and even a slight leak will trigger the fault code. Also keep in mind that a lose clamp on the fuel tank could also cause this code. Anything that causes the air to leak in the tank will give you this fault code.

Have the dealer check it out. He should have the tools to pressure test the tank and look for leaks.

Ken

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.