Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my bulb in the shift lever where you see the letters P,R,N,D. The bulb is staying off and if I tap it the bulb comes on. The question I have what is the number for the bulb and how do you get to,it. I know how to take the console out but need more info the bulb.

2011 Dodge Nitro 4.0. Thanks in advance.

Ed

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,845 Posts
I got this from a KK owner on another site. (Thank you lfhoward)
I can not confirm this is the correct #, but I believe it is. (Mines a manual trany.)

"Pull up the plastic trim piece on the center console (in front of the cupholders) from the rear corners first. Unclip the wire harness from underneath the 4WD shifter, then you can fully remove the trim. Once that trim piece is out of the way, look at the drivers side of the black PRND21 block. You will see a pair of small blue (I think) wires there running to the light socket. Turn the light socket 90 degrees, then you can pull it out to access the light."

"Today I finally found a replacement bulb! The EWG203 bulb has to be about the rarest automotive light bulb on earth. Just about everywhere has 0 in stock. I found them on eBay for $14 a pair, which I couldn't bring myself to pay. I tried Sylvania 73 and 74 bulbs from the auto parts store, but even though they look similar, their base is too large to fit into the socket.
The Jeep dealer said they'd sell me a new shifter bezel with the light included but I'm not so OCD about my Jeep that I'm willing to pay $35 for a little bulb. So here's my solution..."

"Go to a Toyota dealership and tell their parts guy/gal that you are looking for a replacement bulb for a '99 Corolla. It's a bulb behind the climate controls in the center of the dash. There are two bulbs there, but you only need one replaced. $5 later I had my bulb! It's not exactly the same shape (it's a bit narrower at the top), but the base is exactly the same as the EWG203 and it works!!!"

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
as ScarO quoted, ive done this before, mine did the same thing the bulb was flickering. i also removed the centre console, to gain better access, as i thought i had a loose wire causing the bulb to flicker, however it was just the filament inside the bulb wobbling around.

·
Lighting Guru!
3,633 Posts
I too had the light bulb burn out in my console.
Below is a link to where I purchased the hard to find bulbs at. These bulbs are not sold in normal parts stores.
Some people claim to have been able to utilize a similar size bulb from a parts store but I was not able to. The below bulb is all that worked for me as it is the recommended bulb.

http://accordknob.ecrater.com/p/14010078/2-light-bulbs-for-toyota-camry-corolla

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,845 Posts
In this thread DrewBone said the "73" bulb fit, but lfhoward said it did not.
When I searched the bulb # lfhoward posted on the other forum, I also came up with the site meder24 posted above. This matched the description of the application lfhoward posted for the Toyota bulb. With our lighting Guru's confirmation (meder24) that this is a comparable bulb (in this thread and the other), I'd say this is a done deal. The Toyota bulb is one that is a direct fit replacement.
I will update our Quick reference guide.
Great team work guys!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just replaced the gear selector bulb in my Nitro. I went with the suggestion from Scar0 to get the bulb from the Toyota dealership. I got 2 bulbs at the total price of $6.02 for both bulbs. They didn't have it in stock but had it the next morning. Here is a picture with the Toyota part number if this makes it any easier for anyone else.
image.jpeg

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,435 Posts
Great info, RainierRT. The pic helps a lot too. Thanks! :)

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,845 Posts
Cool deal. Glad to hear it worked out for you. I updated our Quick reference guide with the number! Thanks for that.
If you see my rig around wave!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used the Toyota bulbs when I had my Nitro. I brought a bunch. I left them in the nitro I the book explaining to the new owner what they were for.

Hopefully the Jeep dealer did not remove it.

Ed

·
Registered
14 Posts
I need to replace my bulb in the shift lever where you see the letters P,R,N,D. The bulb is staying off and if I tap it the bulb comes on. The question I have what is the number for the bulb and how do you get to,it. I know how to take the console out but need more info the bulb.

2011 Dodge Nitro 4.0. Thanks in advance.

Ed
I posted a picture of the bulb needed with the numbers on a post on this thread. I can't seem to be able to link the post to you but search my posts and you should be able to find it. I have only posted I think maybe 4 posts so it should be easy to find.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I posted a picture of the bulb needed with the numbers on a post on this thread. I can't seem to be able to link the post to you but search my posts and you should be able to find it. I have only posted I think maybe 4 posts so it should be easy to find.
No need to link to your prvbious post. I gad picked up hje bulbs

·
Registered
5 Posts
My bulb in shifter is out as well (08 SLT 4x4) . Have read all of these posts and ordered a bulb from Toyota. Feel very confident from your posts and a U-Tube that I watched on a Jeep that will be able to change this out with little issue. Just wanted to thank Scar0 and rest of members for this information. Will let you know how goes. Rusty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ordered the Toyota bulb off ebay, and had it installed in 15 minutes, but really should have taken about 5. Thanks for all the help.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,845 Posts
Ordered the Toyota bulb off ebay, and had it installed in 15 minutes, but really should have taken about 5. Thanks for all the help.
Good to here another success story.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,845 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Mike199.
Can you verify if getting a E74 bulb would fit? I tried both a 73 and a 37 tonight and couldn't get either to fit the socket .
For the Nitro see the link in post 8. This is a verified fit by several members.
Post 15 says the The 74 bulb does work with modification.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts