Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my Nitro knowing it wouldn't start. I checked and I'm getting gas up to the injectors but they aren't putting any out. It's at the dealership now but I'm wondering if anyone has any information on this and maybe I could look at it myself. The previous owner said he had been able to clean the pcm connections and then it would start but I had no such luck. It will crank but not start because it isn't getting fuel. I tried replacing the pcm with a used one and that's why it's at the dealer now.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
Welcome to the forum J3joker. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Do you have spark?
Both the injectors and coil packs get B+ from the ASD relay.
Check fuses M10, M21.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I had spark because it would start if I sprayed in a little starting fluid. I'll have to check the fuses once I get it back from the dealer but hopefully they fix it and sort of cheaply lol

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
If it was a PCM problem, then once your used replacement is coded with your VIN, it should fire right up.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
Any word yet? Inquiring minds need to know...

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
Hum, I know the WCM and cluster are hard coded once they are VIN programmed. I did not think the PCM was also.
Was the used PCM from a Nitro that had the same engine?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
I did read something about a configuration program in a PCM. Once it is set, it can only be upgraded to the next version, not reprogrammed.
So it is possible they got your VIN in it OK, but the original configuration may not have been compatible with your build.
Did they also have your original PCM? They would have needed it to check the configuration program #. There are other ways for them to get it, but from the original is the fastest way.
Also with the original one, they could have run a few tests to see if it was the cause of the injectors not working.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well they had the original but it didn't do them any good. I work on circuit boards and thought I would check it out myself before I got the used one and I busted it taking it apart.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
Oh, ouch. OK.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I got an update from the dealer. They say the tipm is bad and needs replaced. Supposedly the can bypass something in it to get the Nitro to start and run as a very temporary thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've read that the part number for the tipm has to match but the two letters at the end don't. Can anyone confirm? The part number the dealer gave me was 56049721AQ, would 56049721AO work?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
56049721AQ
Replaces: RL049721AO, 56049721AE, 56049721AF, 56049721AG, 56049721AH, 56049721AJ, 56049721AK, 56049721AL, 56049721AM, 56049721AN, 56049721AO, 56049721AP
According to our vendors web site. www.moparonlineparts.com

Beware of on-line TIPM sales. Some do not come with programming.
If used, it has to be from a Nitro, with the same engine. Even then it may need program updates to work correctly.

Did they say what they bypassed to get it to run?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
Stupid question but I have to ask. Did they check the fuses above?
Also have them check fuse M19.

Unless the TIPM programming or internal computer boards got fried somehow...
All the TIPM does is supply power to the PCM and injectors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wasn't told they checked any fuses or what they did to bypass it to make it run. They told me they had some ASD problem. I plan to go up tomorrow and look at it a little and I will check the fuses. They also said the part would need programmed to the Nitro to work. So if I ordered a used one could I get the 56049721AO as long as it's from a nitro with the same motor?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,638 Posts
Ah, good info...
The ASD controls power from the TIPM to the PCM and injectors. Thru fuse M19. They probably temporally jumped 12V to the wire coming from the TIPM to get it running.
I wonder if the pin in the TIPM itself got busted, or shorted. No easy way to fix that...

In theory a used 56049721AO, from a Nitro with the same engine, should work. I can not say 100% yes it will work in your case.

Is this an 07 Nitro? If so, the used TIPM also has to be from the same year Nitro, because of the wiper recall Mods done to the 07s. (Recall work involved installing 2 external relays on the inside LF fender. They should be pretty easy to spot. The recall also reprogrammed the TIPM)

Several members here have installed used TIPMs, from a Nitro with the same engine, with success.(If possible avoid the 08 TIPMs they seem to have more problems then the other ones.)
They will at least get the rig running so they can get it to a dealer to have their VIN specific programming added to it.

If you are going to DIY the TIPM swap, post back and I can direct you to a post on how to do it the correct way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That would be great, I'm definitely going to try it myself. I havent tried looking yet but do you know if I could find a pin out of the tipm? Mine is a 2007 with a 4.0 btw.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts