Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Getting rid of the chrome crossgrille/lightsurround

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  KenCary 
#1 ·
Hi, other than my introduction this is my first post! Like I say in my intro post I'm currently getting deposit together for a new black SXT. If I get it, there'll be 2 x things I'd want to change more or less straight away. First one is the chrome crossgrille/light surround.....I want this to match the cars black paint, I have seen pictures of it done and I prefer it? Can I order a part or is it just a case of getting it sprayed? Secondly, I wish to install a HID kit, think I've got this organised but open to any ideas?

Thanks alot in advance for this!

I have done a search for this but can't find a definitive answer based on me being in the UK!

Scottie

#4 ·
Great news about the grille, cheers Billy! You or anyone have any idea about the cost? I asked the guy here at the dealer and he seemed to think they weren't available to buy, I knew he was wrong!

Scottie
I agree mate, I think it would be better in black, like all factory things though it ain't gonna be cheap. Let me know when you get one and the cost it will have to go on the wish list like the 22's.

#5 ·
It is possible to paint the factory chrome grill if you prep it.

Since you are going to throw it away anyway, you want to give it a try. Pull off the grill, clean it with mineral spirits or other mild solvent. Then wet sand it with 400 grit to dull the finish.-- don't try to sand off all the chrome, but dull it down. After this clean and dry the grill, then prime it with 2-3 coats of sandable body primer. Once dry, wet sand again with 800 grit, making sure that you sand off any runs or sags.

Once primed you can buy a can of factory paint and spray the grill or you can take the primed grill to a body shop. This is lots of work, but very little money. It will be more prone to chipping than the factory color matched grill, but then again it may look good for several years.

Ken

#6 ·
It is possible to paint the factory chrome grill if you prep it.

Since you are going to throw it away anyway, you want to give it a try. Pull off the grill, clean it with mineral spirits or other mild solvent. Then wet sand it with 400 grit to dull the finish.-- don't try to sand off all the chrome, but dull it down. After this clean and dry the grill, then prime it with 2-3 coats of sandable body primer. Once dry, wet sand again with 800 grit, making sure that you sand off any runs or sags.

Once primed you can buy a can of factory paint and spray the grill or you can take the primed grill to a body shop. This is lots of work, but very little money. It will be more prone to chipping than the factory color matched grill, but then again it may look good for several years.

Ken
If I could add a little to the prep of the grille.......

IF you burn through the "chrome" on the grille down to the plastic, be sure to shoot a little plactic prep on there first. It would suck to have your nice paint blowing off in the wind. Primer won't stick to plastic without this prep. Same when you sand the primer. If you burn through, hit it again with the plasstic prep before you paint. KenCary hit it on the head....800 for final prep. If it is a solid colour (no metallic, mica or pearl) you can get away with 600. Hope this helps. :wavey:

#7 ·
I noticed that I picked up a small rock chip on my chrome grill. If I collect more of these in time, I may pull my grill and paint it too.

If I paint it, I would go with a flat black or "Hot Rod" black which has a very slight sheen to it. I think this would look good against the dark grey bumper and fenders of the SXT.

Scottie, you may want to think about this for your black SXT also. Flat would be easier to paint than body color and also would be easier to touch up when you did get a rock chip.

Ken

#9 ·
Amazing responses! I have a buyer for my car now so fingers crossed the sale will go through and I'll be taking my grinning little face down to Dodge this weekend! I'm pretty stoked about these trucks! Being a drummer in a band and a complete poseur....the black SXT ticks all boxes on my checklist! thanks heaps for your help guys (maybe dols too!)

Scottie

#10 ·
I had the dealer throw in the black R/T grill when I bought my Nitro. I brought it up at the end of the negotiation after telling the dealer that I was going to check out another dealership. The only thing it cost me was about 2 months of waiting. I wanted all black so I took the black grill inserts from the chrome surround and put them in the black R/T surround.

#11 ·
Amazing responses! I have a buyer for my car now so fingers crossed the sale will go through and I'll be taking my grinning little face down to Dodge this weekend! I'm pretty stoked about these trucks! Being a drummer in a band and a complete poseur....the black SXT ticks all boxes on my checklist! thanks heaps for your help guys (maybe dols too!)

Scottie
BTW with the back seats down, you can carry a whole drumset.

Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.