Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have a 2007 Dodge Nitro (UK) and the parking brake is travelling high with little reserve travel. I’ve been told by a garage it’s unrepairable and needs a new self adjusting lever and ratchet but it’s hard to source one in the uk.
Does anyone know of a way it can be adjusted or how I could source one in the U.K. new or used? Any help would be really appreciated 😊

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,207 Posts
See our How-to section.
Be sure to read the warnings!
If your ride is a manual trany the park brake lever is on a recall. But as you can see by my post 48 in that thread, it only lasts a while.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi Bee2007

As Scar0 says there’s a lot to read in the forum about this lever issue. I’m guessing your gonna fail an MOT at some point if you haven’t already.

I replaced my lever with modified version and did some additional bending of the infamous tab you’ll see mentioned. Did this several years ago and have no more than three clicks upwards travel. So I’m satisfied the lever travel issue is fixed on my truck.

having said this, the effectiveness of the handbrake sucks but it’s only once had an MOT advisory and that was before I carried out the mod.

my MOT comes up soon, so I’ll be doing a complete renewal of the handbrake parts and adjust the shoes as fully as I can before the event.

As we’re both in the U.K. I’m happy to chat you through it, pm me your contact details if you like 👍

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Bee2007

As Scar0 says there’s a lot to read in the forum about this lever issue. I’m guessing your gonna fail an MOT at some point if you haven’t already.

I replaced my lever with modified version and did some additional bending of the infamous tab you’ll see mentioned. Did this several years ago and have no more than three clicks upwards travel. So I’m satisfied the lever travel issue is fixed on my truck.

having said this, the effectiveness of the handbrake sucks but it’s only once had an MOT advisory and that was before I carried out the mod.

my MOT comes up soon, so I’ll be doing a complete renewal of the handbrake parts and adjust the shoes as fully as I can before the event.

As we’re both in the U.K. I’m happy to chat you through it, pm me your contact details if you like 👍
Where in the UK are you? Need to source a handbrake at some point as this one has no room for manoeuvre any longer and isn’t holding the vehicle on any worker of slope so always having to leave it in gear now.
Are you a mechanic? Happy to have you do it and pay if your not so far, I’m based North.
Cheers mate

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where in the UK are you? Need to source a handbrake at some point as this one has no room for manoeuvre any longer and isn’t holding the vehicle on any type of slope or so always having to leave it in gear now.
Are you a mechanic? Happy to have you do it and pay if your not so far, I’m based North.
It did pass the MOT but I’ve just overhauled the brakes instead of getting the handbrake fixed. No one this way knows where to source parts so was hoping maybe this one could be somehow repaired or a parking brake from a different manufacturer might do the trick???
Cheers mate

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi Bee2007

I’m down in the South West just north of Bristol, so unless you’re heading down this way I don’t think I’m going to be able to physically help.

I’m an engineer not a mechanic and have a passion for understanding why things don’t work, and using engineering skills to find solutions. There’s a number of YouTube clips I’ve seen recently where guys have misunderstood the problem and come up with a variety of work arounds.

the problem is the spring drum at the base of the lever going out of shape and the corresponding coil spring not grabbing at the appropriate point.

by bending the “tab” by about 5-10mm the spring grabs the drum earlier in it’s travel reducing the vertical lever movement. Now having said this whether this will work on every affected lever assembly is debatable.

If as you say you are leaving it in gear you’re telling me you have a manual gearbox. There was a recall fir manual gearboxes where the lever was swapped for the modified part number1CH91DX9AI. Having said this we’re all now finding out that Fiat Chrysler are no longer Authorised to carry out recall work on Dodge vehicles here in the U.K.

a number of years ago when we still had Dodge dealers I managed to barter with a cocked up service to get a free of charge lever as an apology. I still bent the tab on this so called modified lever and to this day have never had any more than 3 clicks travel.

Having checked online it would appear part number 1CH91DX9AI is no longer available. You could try your local Jeep dealer to see if they can source one from Italy which is where dealer stocks are now held. The price at the time in 2013 was about £90.

warning ⛔ adjacent the base of the lever assembly is an air bag, you must disconnect the battery negative lead and leave for at least 30 minutes to ensure residual charge n the capacitors is discharged before you go anywhere near any form of dismantling.

I am happy to chat you through this or chat to your mechanic if it helps you. But seriously if you are down in this neck of the woods at any point I’d be happy to get physical with your truck 👍

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Bee2007

I’m down in the South West just north of Bristol, so unless you’re heading down this way I don’t think I’m going to be able to physically help.

I’m an engineer not a mechanic and have a passion for understanding why things don’t work, and using engineering skills to find solutions. There’s a number of YouTube clips I’ve seen recently where guys have misunderstood the problem and come up with a variety of work arounds.

the problem is the spring drum at the base of the lever going out of shape and the corresponding coil spring not grabbing at the appropriate point.

by bending the “tab” by about 5-10mm the spring grabs the drum earlier in it’s travel reducing the vertical lever movement. Now having said this whether this will work on every affected lever assembly is debatable.

If as you say you are leaving it in gear you’re telling me you have a manual gearbox. There was a recall fir manual gearboxes where the lever was swapped for the modified part number1CH91DX9AI. Having said this we’re all now finding out that Fiat Chrysler are no longer Authorised to carry out recall work on Dodge vehicles here in the U.K.

a number of years ago when we still had Dodge dealers I managed to barter with a cocked up service to get a free of charge lever as an apology. I still bent the tab on this so called modified lever and to this day have never had any more than 3 clicks travel.

Having checked online it would appear part number 1CH91DX9AI is no longer available. You could try your local Jeep dealer to see if they can source one from Italy which is where dealer stocks are now held. The price at the time in 2013 was about £90.

warning ⛔ adjacent the base of the lever assembly is an air bag, you must disconnect the battery negative lead and leave for at least 30 minutes to ensure residual charge n the capacitors is discharged before you go anywhere near any form of dismantling.

I am happy to chat you through this or chat to your mechanic if it helps you. But seriously if you are down in this neck of the woods at any point I’d be happy to get physical with your truck 👍
Thankyou for your detailed response.

I’m in Manchester.

I usually go to a garage near me, I can ask if they’d be willing to take a look and do a modified fix based on your expertise, I’m not confident they would in case they’re held liable for anything that went wrong.

I did receive a response from an autoparts company that managed to source a used one for £107 but I have no idea what condition it was in or what vehicle it came from.

I‘m not technically minded myself so I wouldn’t do the work, might be a trek travelling from Manchester where I am to Bristol, the nearest UK dealer I found was David Boatwright in Essex, which again is a fair journey.

They advised there was nowhere to source one from and there was a grey area wether or not any would be available in the near future.

So at the moment it’s not looking hopeful and due to lack of availability or local knowledge I might even have to consider trading my car in, which I really don’t want to do.

I’ll really have to get my thinking cap on!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just checked google and it’s c.3hrs 15 MCR to Bristol, thinking It might be worth the drive to have you look as you appear to know way more than anyone I’ve come across this side of town!

🤔

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and it’s a pretty desperate situ as the handbrake has no room for travel any longer and the car still rolls on the slightest incline!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh more info it’s 2007 edition and only done 70,000 miles so I don’t want to trade in any time soon!

·
Registered
577 Posts
I feel your frustration buddy, there is no need to throw the towel in. The handbrake lever is a god awful design, but there is a fix.

I’ve done some searching and found the correct part number listed on Rockauto.com remember it’s 1CH91DX9AI. They have it in stock but will charge you carriage, VAT on top of the base price of £79. As they charge VAT at source you shouldn’t have any charges to pay at this end.

i’ve used Rockauto numerous times for Parts and never had an issue, usually arrives within 10 days from the USA.

Once you’ve got the new part, then we’ll have a chat about how we get you sorted 👍

Reactions: Scar0
1 - 11 of 11 Posts