Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we got dumped on the day I picked my Nitro up we got 23" in Juneau. I have the select 4wh.dr. not awd highways. were ok (getting plowed) back streets another story had no trouble with the drsys. but the stock Goodyears wanted to slid to much and these were the 17" supposed upgrade tires. Went to the Les Schwab dealer the next morning & got some winter cat SST tires in 245/65r/17 1 size larger than stock. What a diff. the Nitro became an ATV drivability and handling were great. stops & starts were no problem I don't think I drove in anything deeper than 10" turned into a little bit of a plow that big bumper is good for something after all LOL. When we got off ferry at home had been snowing since 9pm the nite before had like 8 to 10" on the ground went up and down the hills like a goat,the Nitro is pretty impressive in adverse conditions even my wife drives now & she would never drive the dak in the snow. this veh. may not be perfect but it is obvious a lot of thought went into it With the exception of the stock tires. I'll rate it 9 out of 10 for snow.

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,794 Posts
Good write up, but you have to consider that those tires have to be good for people down here who dont get snow..Most people who live in high-snowfall areas plan on getting upgraded winter tires for the harsh seasons :)

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,794 Posts
Have never used studded tires, always just bought good winter tires. Have always been told studs were as tough on the tires as they are on snow & ice.
Studded tires can be very dangerous..They arent good for the tire or the road..There are very little times when the are actually safer and I beleive they are trying to be made illegal

·
NITROHOLIC™
1,794 Posts
youre probably one of the last northern states that allows them...might change soon though...do you have to pay a tax? a lot of the states that allow it all require a tax for the damage they do

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Well we got dumped on the day I picked my Nitro up we got 23" in Juneau. I have the select 4wh.dr. not awd highways. were ok (getting plowed) back streets another story had no trouble with the drsys. but the stock Goodyears wanted to slid to much and these were the 17" supposed upgrade tires. Went to the Les Schwab dealer the next morning & got some winter cat SST tires in 245/65r/17 1 size larger than stock. What a diff. the Nitro became an ATV drivability and handling were great. stops & starts were no problem I don't think I drove in anything deeper than 10" turned into a little bit of a plow that big bumper is good for something after all LOL. When we got off ferry at home had been snowing since 9pm the nite before had like 8 to 10" on the ground went up and down the hills like a goat,the Nitro is pretty impressive in adverse conditions even my wife drives now & she would never drive the dak in the snow. this veh. may not be perfect but it is obvious a lot of thought went into it With the exception of the stock tires. I'll rate it 9 out of 10 for snow.
We haven't experienced a whole lot of snow but have a light coat and that makes the parking lots and street intersections really slippery. I did some playing around and I'm definetely impressed with the ESP system. Never experiencing this system and it capabilities I was taken by surprise during a skid situtation, which I caused intentionally. I was on the gas and steering through the skid and the brakes were applied by the ESP system. I wouldn't say the application was invasive, but very intuitive. I'm impressed. Of course, its nice to shut it off to have some fun.:)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Should have real test results for the next couple days , are receiving 18" more snow today & nite will be driving in abot 4 ft. of the stuff any flaws should show pretty quick. Will let everone know, but me i'm betting on the nitro.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When studded tires are outlawed, only outlaws will own studded tires. You can have mine when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers.

Now I feel better.

Thanks for the write up Dan. I'm not too stoked on the stock tires, but they will be fine until next winter. Just watch, next year we won't get any snow.

Ken

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.