Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you noticed that people either love or hate the Nitro? I parked mine near the smoking area in the parking deck today and I was just down there feeding the very bad habit.... There were four guys discussing the vehicle. One was saying how "ugly it was and the owner must have spent a fortune on those 20 inch wheels and tires... He went on to say that it was way too p.i.mp. and wanted to see who drove it. The other three were saying they liked it and thought it looked classy but was also "edgy". I think it's funny how people react to it still.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Even some Nitro owners feel that way about the 20s...... ;)
Can't deny that... but mostly for utility reasons. Off road or hauling purposes. I've looked at literally 100's and 100's of Nitro pictures and on pure looks the 20's are best in show without a doubt! The main problem with the other stock sizes isn't so much the larger sidewalls. It's the skinniness of the tire. Everytime I see a Nitro (especially a SXT) coming directly at me... or if I'm directly behind it, it's glaring that the oversized wheel wells are crying out for more wheel!!!:cool: but to each his own...

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
On the other hand ,if you do a lot of back road, dirt road or no road driving. Those 20" wheels & tires will keep you broke trying to keep them round.:D
True:D... if you're out somewhere where you're not usually driving on city streets and freeways the "taller tire less rim" makes sense. It would have been easy for Dodge to put wider 16" or 17" wheels on to accomadate wider high profile tires though. That would have had the same visual effect of filling up the wheel wells as the wider 20's (not unlike what stock Hummers or Escalades use). I'm guessing it was a price point thing. Bigger is more expensive. Times that by tens of thousands of SXT's & SLT's it's a lot of lost profit.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Remember your talking about a truck that weighs over 2000 lbs less than an Escalade or Hummer. With tires as wide as they use, the Nitro would slip & slide all over the street in even slightly wet weather.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Remember your talking about a truck that weighs over 2000 lbs less than an Escalade or Hummer. With tires as wide as they use, the Nitro would slip & slide all over the street in even slightly wet weather.
I agree. I didn't mean that "exact same" tire size. I was just saying something a little more proportional. Actually the 235 on the SLT isn't bad. A something just 245 wide would have looked great. That's the 20's footprint and that's real nice without being huge. I'm just speaking as someone who had the skinny 225's on mine. The look improves with a little wider rubber. It goes from this (ll) to this lllll.
I couldn't be happier with the new set up and the R/T 20" wheels on mine and everyone that has seen it both ways says, WOW what a difference!!!... but I'm a all paved road guy... LoL! You have to set up for what you do. We're in agreement. If you're bajaing off road you don't want 20's... :cool: but I'm also pretty sure the guys in here that have gone all the way up to 275 series tires aren't slip slidin' around at in slightly wet weather.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
top gun, that is just what I did , had the Nitro less than 1/2 hr. had it in the tire shop getting 245/65r/17's called winter cat much more aggressive tread. Love em.:ura1::4-jump2:
Yeah Dan that's exactly what I was talking about. Hope people reading my tire opinions don't get the wrong idea. None of the stock wheel set ups suck. I'm just talking in terms of maximizing the Nitro's looks. Not unlike adding a custom grill or anything else. E-mails sometimes come off as harsh.
I bet the slightly wider winter cat on the 17's look every bit as good as the 20" R/T set up... just in a more multipurpose aggressive way.
Do you have a pic of the tire in here somewhere. I'll look your pictures up but if not post it up so we can see. :Racing:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
True:D... if you're out somewhere where you're not usually driving on city streets and freeways the "taller tire less rim" makes sense. It would have been easy for Dodge to put wider 16" or 17" wheels on to accomadate wider high profile tires though. That would have had the same visual effect of filling up the wheel wells as the wider 20's (not unlike what stock Hummers or Escalades use). I'm guessing it was a price point thing. Bigger is more expensive. Times that by tens of thousands of SXT's & SLT's it's a lot of lost profit.

Tires companies charge these manufacturers, like Chrysler, 5 bucks a tire. :eek:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Come on now, TG. Admit it. The 17" Goodyears pretty much suck. I've got'em. And while I get around pretty good in most conditions, I think it will do a LOT better in crappy conditions with a good set of AT tires on it.
Time will tell......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.