Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this all started with no heat. Did the heater core had heat for a little bit then nothing, then rad, thermostat x2, coolant temp sensor x2, after all that still overheats while driving then the temp goes down to normal then white smoke then nothing. Every time I pop the hood weather I have been driving 20min or 2 hrs the rad cap still cold. There is always air in the coolant system but no drips, no leaks, and no sweet coolant smell.

So I just had some terrible news, the head gasket is leaking in the cylinders. It's time to do the head gaskets. While I have it all apart I am going to do a water pump and and the timing belt. My question is......1)it would really help me if someone can give me a list or something of the sort to what seals, gaskets, bolts ext I should REPLACE at the same time. 2)should all the parts be purchased from Mopar/dealer?

I have gone to the dealership where I live and told them what I need to do and one of the service techs made a list for me on what he thinks is going to be needed to do the head gasket, timming belt, and water pump.(list will follow) Is this right? Is there stuff I don't need? Is there stuff that he missed?

Dealer list

2 - valve cover gaskets
6 - spark plug tube seal
1 - left head gasket
1 - right head gasket
16 - head bolts
1 - timing belt
1 - timing sprocket
1 - tensioner
1 - tensioner arm
1 - timing cover gasket
24 - valve seals
12 - intake values
12 - exhaust valves
1 - water pump
1 - water pump gasket
2 - cam seals (front)
2 - cam seals (back)
2 - exhaust manifold gasket
1 - intake plenum gasket
2 - intake manifold gasket

·
Registered
40 Posts
That looks close to complete for an V configuration. But I also have never had a head off of this V6 design.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If your NOT going to rework the heads then you will not need the Valves and Valve seals. BUT , if you do you'll have to re- seat the valves. If it was me ? and its not I'd have the head done at a proper Machine Shop. Also if the motor was overheating it would be wise to let them shave the heads or at least make sure their straight. The head bolts are more than likely stretch bolts so they will need to be replaced.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
With heat, I have to say you should have the heads checked and milled if warped. The list you have is pretty complete. I'd also do the spark plugs while you are in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts