Head Rest Dvd Player

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro Interior Modifications' started by CDB, Oct 9, 2017.

1. CDB

CDB New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nitro 4x4 3.7
    Trim:
    SE
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    I am looking to buy and install aftermarket head rest DVD players for my kids. Currently I am using a portable set up that straps the 2 monitors to the head rests. One monitor has the DVD player in it & it connects to the other monitor via a power wire/RWY RCA wire. The monitor that doesn't have the DVD player plugs into the lighter outlet. It's a cheap one and is starting to crap out. Not to mention my 3 year old has decided the wires are play things.

I was wondering if any of you fine folks have done this to your Nitros? Any suggestions on brand based on quality or ease of install?

The other option I was thinking of was to just get the monitor screens in the head rests and running the DVD off of the MYGig, but I'm not sure if I can do that and not lose the ability to listen to the radio while the kids watch their movies.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Caution.
    Before doing any work on the Nitro, disconnect the Neg (-) battery cable and wait 10 minutes!
    This will allow time for the airbag capacitors to discharge.
    You don't want to have your airbags go off accidentally.
    It has already happened to a few members here...

In the 11 Nitro you have "active" headrests. This means they are connected to the SRS (airbag) system. There is a wire which runs up into the front headrests. When you unplug this wire you will get an error message displayed on the dash.

See https://www.nitroforumz.com/threads/2011-nitro-active-headrest-what-wires-to-connect.41359/

Caution:
    DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

This post/thread and any others related to modifying/repairing your Nitro in any way are here for informational purposes only.
    It is your sole responsibility to verify the information is correct, accurate, and safe to use.
    What you choose to do with the information is up to you.
    If you are unsure, please consult a professional.

There is a hack to bypass the active headrest See this thread (I just re-linked the Pics). https://www.nitroforumz.com/threads/headrest-monitors.33563/

Another thread.
    https://www.nitroforumz.com/threads/new-aftermarket-stereo-and-headrest-installed.40852/#post-261975

3. CDB

CDB New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nitro 4x4 3.7
    Trim:
    SE
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    Thanks for the reply and links Scar0. Guess I have some more reading and research to do.

Was the active head rest standard on all 11's? The only reason I ask is because mine is a stripped down SE model. The only features it came with were power windows, mirrors, & locks. I added the MyGig, reverse camera, and hands free well after I bought it. When I find the time I plan on installing the cruise control, which has been sitting in my garage for about 6 months.

Thanks again for your help.

4. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    They are standard in all 2010 and 2011 Nitro.