Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm new to the fourm, Is it me or do the OEM headlights bite? I found a Hid kit for the Nitro. Has any one installed one yet? I should have mine Sat. and let you know how they work:D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Welcome to the site, I myself changed the heads & fogs to silverstars, there are some folks that are going the HID route,sure they will chime in soon.Where at in the springs do you live? I go down there almost every year for a month or so in the winter.

·
Registered
790 Posts
So are HIDs the bright blue lights you see on the road occasionally? Seems like their a bit bright for oncoming traffic sometimes.
And I see they require a ballast. Whats up with that? Is there some rewiring to be done to make them work?

·
Registered
116 Posts
airjunky, in my opinion i believe HID's are a huge waste of money. They may "look" cool but they dont do anything for me that other blubs wont do. PLUS you can bet your house that they will burn the ballasts sometime or another and make you pay another 2 to 3 hundred on top of the 4 or 5 they cost usually. I went the same route as DAN and did the silverstars for 40$ and have a nice bright white light and spent the other 1000 on an indash tv instead of lights.....

·
Registered
790 Posts
Thanks for the input Joe. I'm thinking the HID route isn't the way I want to go either, because of the wiring/ballast changes, the cost, and the funky blue look.
I've Googled "Sylvania Silverstar reviews" and see that they have a slight blue tint too. And it sounds like they don't last long, ie; 2 - 6 months is pretty common. And another complaint is they don't look very good in dark, wet weather, which is probably about 4 months of the year here.
What about the GE Nighthawk? Looking for reviews on them now. Sounds like they last longer, don't have the blue coating & brightness is somewhere between the stockers & the Silverstars.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
airjunky, in my opinion i believe HID's are a huge waste of money. They may "look" cool but they dont do anything for me that other blubs wont do. PLUS you can bet your house that they will burn the ballasts sometime or another and make you pay another 2 to 3 hundred on top of the 4 or 5 they cost usually. I went the same route as DAN and did the silverstars for 40$ and have a nice bright white light and spent the other 1000 on an indash tv instead of lights.....
The whole kit only cost $180.00 and if you read the ad and look at the color chart, stay down in the white area around 6000k if you don't like the BLUE.
Also it says that the H 13 bulbs are too small to have HI and LOW they will not fit in the headlight, and there is no wire cutting it is all plug and play.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
AirJunky, I don't agree with the don't do well in the rain theory ,I live up here where all rain & snow comes to die & the silverstars work fine also I've had them in my last 2 Daks & they were still going when I traded them in & we have like 4 months a year of 18 to 19 hours a day darkness. I really like them. On the GE's I wanted to try them but so far have not been able to, for two years I've been trying to get them in H-13.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Also it says that the H 13 bulbs are too small to have HI and LOW they will not fit in the headlight, and there is no wire cutting it is all plug and play.
did a little research and found one of the new ways they make a hi/low setup for HID's is they have a solenoid actuated bulb.it moves in and out to adj the beam.
oh and this is avail for h13/9008 bulbs.kits on ebay are running $138/200 just for reference.found some other places that might be more reputable and prices run $250/400.

Mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok Got the HIDs installed today Wow it was easy.Had to remove the battery to work on the drivers side. there is a stud on each side wall that I bolted the ballast to and the rest just pluged in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
They work better than I hopeed for. They are very bright and they do not blind oncoming traffic because of the shields inside of the lens (keeps them pointed on the road) Very happy with the upgrade! I tryed to upload a pic but it will not let me post twice. look in thread HIDS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.